Now as we all know there have recently been severe heatwaves across Southern Europe, Southwestern United States, and China, and along with many other severe weather events this has been linked to climate change, and as such there will rightly be many discussions on how to tackle the crisis. However, despite this climate crisis, those who are likely to be the most vocal about the about it such as Greenpeace or the Green Party still maintain anti-nuclear energy and anti-HS2 stances despite the fact that both are demonstrably some of the best solutions to reducing carbon emissions. Often the arguments I've heard against them are either exaggerated or inconsequential compared to the wider problem. An example for nuclear would be the argument of "waste" despite the fact no other energy source is without it (and in fact nuclear is arguably the only one that has active plans to deal with it), and an example for HS2 is the effect on things such as ancient woodlands even though it is still preferable to lose a few trees to make way for an otherwise environmentally friendly transport project than it is to lose forests to wildfires every year because of rising temperatures.
To me as a left-leaning voter and someone who cares about climate change policies, it is baffling to me that the Green Party would oppose policies that would greatly aid us in reaching our net zero goals (or at least come as close as reasonable possible to them) on the grounds of protecting the environment. I understand it's not ideal, but there will come a point where demand for energy cannot be met by intermittent sources such as wind and solar, the holy grail of energy for green parties, and we also quite simply cannot reduce road journeys or air journeys and thus reduce transport emissions without effective and reliable high-speed rail. Electric cars and buses can only go so far. I'm sure that I am not the only one on these forums who holds these opinions since I find many on here to be quite sensible and reasonably informed, but that said I myself cannot personally understand why the Green Party and other green movements oppose nuclear energy and HS2 even despite their long-term benefits. As a left-leaning voter it makes it hard for me to take them seriously when their policies give off the idea that they're living in a fairy-tale land where wind and solar can meet energy demands of 66 million UK citizens and road/air journeys can be reduced with the mere wave of a magic wand.
To me as a left-leaning voter and someone who cares about climate change policies, it is baffling to me that the Green Party would oppose policies that would greatly aid us in reaching our net zero goals (or at least come as close as reasonable possible to them) on the grounds of protecting the environment. I understand it's not ideal, but there will come a point where demand for energy cannot be met by intermittent sources such as wind and solar, the holy grail of energy for green parties, and we also quite simply cannot reduce road journeys or air journeys and thus reduce transport emissions without effective and reliable high-speed rail. Electric cars and buses can only go so far. I'm sure that I am not the only one on these forums who holds these opinions since I find many on here to be quite sensible and reasonably informed, but that said I myself cannot personally understand why the Green Party and other green movements oppose nuclear energy and HS2 even despite their long-term benefits. As a left-leaning voter it makes it hard for me to take them seriously when their policies give off the idea that they're living in a fairy-tale land where wind and solar can meet energy demands of 66 million UK citizens and road/air journeys can be reduced with the mere wave of a magic wand.