They generally did in my experience of BR in the 1980s and 1990s.
I wish that I could agree but sadly the tensions persisted right up until the very end, in 'sector' days.
I was the sponsor within a Regional Railways profit centre for a modest bit of work to bring a few yards of disused platform back into use for longer multiple units. As the station was on an Intercity 'owned' route they had to do the work even though no Intercity trains called there. We were quoted £4,000 and the local authority agreed to pay.
Work commenced and was due to be completed before a timetable change. The local authority head of transport kindly agreed to travel on the first lengthened service and duly inaugurate it.
We rolled up early one morning and the big man alighted onto an unfenced building site where a workman with a whacker plate nearly crushed his foot. "What the ****ing hell are you doing" was cheery welcome. "I've come to open the ****ing station, why isn't it ****ing well ready" was the swift reposte.
Fortunately the invited reporter and photographer from the local paper had failed to turn up and capture the moment.
After the work was finally completed, late, Intercity kindly debited us with a £40,000 bill, ten times the original estimate, citing unspecified difficulties.