• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do people leave their head at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanf

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2010
Messages
129
ive flown with Ryanair and Easyjet many a time and had no problems.Ive been with Spanair once it was a DC8 or similar it stunk of vomit and we had the nearest thing to a crash landing ive ever had at East Midlands in torrential rain with people screaming (he litteraly planted it on the runway)and after we got off maintenance were giving the front wheels a good looking at. I actually think they hit the ground first
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
ive flown with Ryanair and Easyjet many a time and had no problems.Ive been with Spanair once it was a DC8 or similar it stunk of vomit and we had the nearest thing to a crash landing ive ever had at East Midlands in torrential rain with people screaming (he litteraly planted it on the runway)and after we got off maintenance were giving the front wheels a good looking at. I actually think they hit the ground first

If you're the sort of passenger who is bothered to spot the maintenance crews having a look at a particular set of wheels, I am sure you may well also appreciate just how hard it is to land a plane in certain types of storms. Downdrafts, crosswinds and so forth all make it much harder to land a plane, let alone comfortably. It is not really the airline's fault, unless the pilot made a rash decision that it would be cheaper to land at such and such an airport because the fuel would be cheaper, or something similar, and thereby flew into poor weather conditions. I am sure you will also be pleased to know that modern aircraft can safely touch down on just one set of wheels, whichever they happen to be (despite any future maintenance consequences). I have no doubt it was a little more scary than your average landing, though!

Anyway, that is a bit off topic... sorry!

I have flown with Aer Lingus a couple of times "short-haul", and they were very good - virtually no queuing if at all possible, cheerful staff and clean planes, although the food and drink was very expensive. The flights were also pretty much on time, although I don't know what their statistics are like for this.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
ive flown with Ryanair and Easyjet many a time and had no problems.Ive been with Spanair once it was a DC8 or similar it stunk of vomit

That sounds like the Spanair I know! Their aircraft are the definition of a sardine can. I paid 6 euros for a sandwich and it was moldly. Staff just shrugged and walked off. Didn't really think there was anything wrong with the piloting or safety though!

Onur Air used to be a dodgy one - storing food in the toilets and little concern for safety procedures (with an incident record to show for it!). Not cheap either these two.

At least you generally get what you pay for with Ryanair or easyJet.

I forget what this has to do with the thread title but oh well....:lol:
 

bAzTNM

Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
342
I remember I got shouted at by the resident Paisley Gilmour Street Scotrail nutter in 2002. I wonder if that old bloke is still there? My foot was behind the line, so I don't have a clue what he was on about. Clearly before the line. He didn't like being answered back at all. I thought I was getting hooked.
 
Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
I was at MKC one evening last week, standing at platform 4. ATOS Anne had just announced that a train would be passing through, blah blah blah.

Sometimes those type of announcements come through after the train has passed through.
 

trentside

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2010
Messages
3,391
Location
Messroom
That sounds like the Spanair I know! Their aircraft are the definition of a sardine can. I paid 6 euros for a sandwich and it was moldly. Staff just shrugged and walked off. Didn't really think there was anything wrong with the piloting or safety though!

Everyone seems to have a horror story about Spanair. I was expecting terrible things when I flew from Barcelona to Venice with them last year - in fact it turned out to be a great flight, with an MD83 (dirty, but still a great plane) and a really pleasant, well motivated crew. I really enjoyed my flight with them, but it seems that isn't the normal picture people are left with - I will say that the ground staff were rude and inefficient, just to balance things out.

Back onto the topic. I was at MKC the week before last and must say that I don't feel comfortable waiting on the platforms given the speed at which the Pendolinos thunder through - I actually retreated back to a little cafe on the platform where I could wait further back from the yellow line.
 

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2011
Messages
2,143
Perhaps if there were less warning signs all over the place for everything else (cf. demands to use handrails on footbridges) then people would be more inclined to notice the platform edge warnings, I imagine a lot of people think that it is just another example of " 'elf & safety gone mad".

Similarly, if there were less endless tannoy announcements about bags, beggars, doors closing early, security personnel, CCTV, wet weather etc. etc. (try spending 30 minutes at Leeds station) then people would notice the 'fast train approaching' warnings.
 

TDK

Established Member
Joined
19 Apr 2008
Messages
4,164
Location
Crewe
Perhaps if there were less warning signs all over the place for everything else (cf. demands to use handrails on footbridges) then people would be more inclined to notice the platform edge warnings, I imagine a lot of people think that it is just another example of " 'elf & safety gone mad".

Sorry mate but it is common sence not to stand near an edge that drops 4 feet odd with 200 tons flying past at 100mph so that is not really an excuse that is viable
 

Schnellzug

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2011
Messages
2,926
Location
Evercreech Junction
ive flown with Ryanair and Easyjet many a time and had no problems.Ive been with Spanair once it was a DC8 or similar it stunk of vomit and we had the nearest thing to a crash landing ive ever had at East Midlands in torrential rain with people screaming (he litteraly planted it on the runway)and after we got off maintenance were giving the front wheels a good looking at. I actually think they hit the ground first

A DC8? Gosh. Some people would pay good money for that.
Probably it was DC9, or MD-80, but still, quite fun.


Incidentally, how did this get onto airline discussion?
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
Perhaps if there were less warning signs all over the place for everything else (cf. demands to use handrails on footbridges) then people would be more inclined to notice the platform edge warnings, I imagine a lot of people think that it is just another example of " 'elf & safety gone mad".

Similarly, if there were less endless tannoy announcements about bags, beggars, doors closing early, security personnel, CCTV, wet weather etc. etc. (try spending 30 minutes at Leeds station) then people would notice the 'fast train approaching' warnings.

Just had a thought... if, for some reason, these announcements were reviewed and almost all of them were deemed necessary, could there be a way of turning up the volume for safety announcements relating to non-stop trains passing through? I am thinking along the lines of the "Inspector Sands" announcements, which are louder than normal at some stations. Perhaps a short siren should be played instead of the normal four-tone chime before the announcements. Whatever it takes, really...

EDIT: Perhaps the wording could also be subtly changed. For non-stop trains, a possible format could be: "[Brief alarm tone/siren] Please stand behind the yellow line on Platform X. The next train passing through will not stop. Keep well away from the edge of Platform X." And for trains that are stopping: "[Normal chime] The train now approaching Platform X is the AB:CD service to Destination. Please stand behind the yellow line until the train stops and allow passengers off the train first." It's similar to what is already in place, but more forceful.
 
Last edited:

Trog

Established Member
Joined
30 Oct 2009
Messages
1,546
Location
In Retirement.
Back onto the topic. I was at MKC the week before last and must say that I don't feel comfortable waiting on the platforms given the speed at which the Pendolinos thunder through - I actually retreated back to a little cafe on the platform where I could wait further back from the yellow line.

Don't be tempted to join the P-Way then as the first few to go past the first time you go out on track will look twice the size. But then after a week or so they just become part of the background, and you just stand out wait for them to go by and carry on with what you were doing.
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter

wensley

Established Member
Joined
29 Jun 2008
Messages
2,045
Location
On a train...somewhere!
What do expect when BAA/MAG/Peel/GIP drive them crazy, herding everyone through an overcrowded duty free shop to be flogged all sorts? :lol::lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Each time (only twice) I've been to Northallerton there was either some crazy spotters or loud members of the public mucking about!

Northallerton can be bad for that...kids mucking around as well, it can be very nervous watching some of em!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top