It more demonstrates how few non holiday destinations are now served by LBA. I've flown directly to Brussels Aberdeen, Bristol and Heathrow. All now history along with Edinburgh, Glasgow, Isle of Man, Exeter.I live in Leeds, 7 miles from the airport, and we were looking to go to Europe somewhere for my 60th. It was shocking how much more flights cost were from Manchester and where applicable, LBA. Added to which they are far more frequent in many of the Southern airports. The cost differential sometimes was hundreds of quid for a few days away.
For those who live withing travelling distance I'm not sure they realise just how the 'north south divide' crops up in situations like this. The choice is far greater, probably due to competition.
Anyway we ended up going to Brussels on Eurostar. The rail fare element (including LNER down to London) cost far less than the cheapest flight.
I'm Leics based and Luton is my favourite. Travel time is similar to Birmingham and i rarely use East Midlands simply because of lack of destinations on offer. I'd love easyjet to return (rumoured to be doing so) but can handle it if they never do. Always a good number of Leics/Notts and Derbys people on the platforms at Luton Airport Parkway station so a simple change at Kettering doesn't seem to bother anyone.Luton’s proximity to the midlands was cited by easyjet as one of the reasons they closed their base at East Midlands.
I worked at LBA for Jet2 as a check in supervisor for 5 years before I got on the railway, when I went airside, I saw the way pax were treated, some were breaking wheels off their bags so they could take them on, and I’ve met O’Leary, I will never give him a penny of my money!What happened to make you refuse to fly with FR, if you ever did in the first place? Certainly not having a dig, just interested. I hate them but they are a means to an end. I used them this morning out of Birmingham but am returning with EZY on Monday. It has cost me more money but i can't be doing with the dreadful terminal they use for departures.
We leave that to baggage handling. Two of our last three flights have had us claiming replacements.I saw the way pax were treated, some were breaking wheels off their bags
I’m on about pax breaking the wheels off hand luggage so it fits, thats irrelevant now, because only Jet2 let you take a normal cabin bag for free, and if on a busy flight you can check it in for free, I did both ways! No messing about with liquids, Luton has the new security scanners, Alicante does not!We leave that to baggage handling. Two of our last three flights have had us claiming replacements.
Lots of people from Glasgow fly from ManchesterModerator note: Split from
EMR intercity - As bad as xc?
EMR intercity - As bad as xc? Discuss. The trains are crowded, far to short and getting quite tatty yet EMR seem to escape the criticism fired at XC for the same things. How come? Today I have to use EMR to get to Nottingham and the trains are rammed packedwww.railforums.co.uk
What's the obsession with people (families at that) supposedly wanting to travel over 100 miles from Sheffield to Luton Airport to catch a budget airline flight to somewhere that they could probably fly to from a choice of 3 airports less than 40 miles away?
Edit: To clarify, I was referring to posts which mentioned families travelling from Sheffield/Derbyshire to Luton Airport by train. I can understand why someone may choose a flight from Luton rather than East Mids or Leeds-Bradford, but families doing so and also wanting to travel there by train seems niche enough to not require a direct train.
I worked at LBA for Jet2 as a check in supervisor for 5 years before I got on the railway, when I went airside, I saw the way pax were treated, some were breaking wheels off their bags so they could take them on, and I’ve met O’Leary, I will never give him a penny of my money!
Lots of people from Glasgow fly from Manchester
that's odd, because we encounter loads of Scots at Liverpool and Manchester who have driven south because their flights/holidays are so much cheaper from non-Scottish airports. Maybe it's because your people and the ones we meet are avoiding school holiday departiures in their home countries.I have relatives in Darlington and they will often fly from Edinburgh or Glasgow at this time of year. Similalry Leeds Bradford has lots of Scottish passengers once Scottish schools finish in early July as prices are much lower.
The large amount of additional travelling time was worth it for you as well then.We live in Nottingham and a few years ago had a week in Fuerteventura. It was cheaper to fly from Glasgow, including return rail fares and a night in the airport Premier Inn than it was to fly from East Midlands..
Not special treatment, more that people are unhappy the direct trains have been withdrawn (doubly unhappy that direct trains Sheffield to Manchester Airport have also been withdrawn in recent times).There's plenty of people who manage to change trains to travel to an airport every single day - I'm just confused as to why people feel that Sheffield/Derby residents deserve some sort of special treatment
Why London? Other "provincial" airports are available with much better ranges of destinations (I believe)...We used to catch the train when flying from Luton, now we go by car. As to why people from Sheffield fly from Luton - it is the nearest 'London' airport and as such has a much wider range of destinations than either East Midlands or Leeds Bradford.
Why London? Other "provincial" airports are available with much better ranges of destinations (I believe)...
Leeds/Bradford should be closed anyway, and E Midlands is crap for public transport access.
Why London? Other "provincial" airports are available with much better ranges of destinations (I believe)...
Leeds Bradford should be closed should it? Perhaps you should tell that to the private equity firm who have just made over £200million available to drastically increase capacity and improve overall customer experience.Why London? Other "provincial" airports are available with much better ranges of destinations (I believe)...
Leeds/Bradford should be closed anyway, and E Midlands is crap for public transport access. My parents tried to use Leeds/Bradford as they lived nearby, got diverted to Manchester coming home because of wind or fog, took hours longer and baggage went astray. We were persuaded to travel with them once from there to assist, never again!
For me, where I fly from is the outcome of shopping around for best value, suitable dates and tolerable times.
Family members within easy reach of Birmingham use Manchester based on similar criteria and Cardiff for a relaxed experience as well as Birmingham if it fits their needs. They won’t consider London due to the M25’s involvement.
Both very busy but at least the M1 seems to flow, as opposed to the great orbital car park.If anything I’d say the M1 south of Rugby is worse than the M25 these days.
I can understand being wary of the M25, however the same can be said of the M1 for accessing Luton (from either north or south). If anything I’d say the M1 south of Rugby is worse than the M25 these days.
Both very busy but at least the M1 seems to flow, as opposed to the great orbital car park.
I’d say the traffic onthe M25 is worse but predictable. What the M1 is up to on any given day is a complete guess.
It was. I like travelling by train! Also, for the four of us it saved over £500.The large amount of additional travelling time was worth it for you as well then.
I use both Manchester and Liverpool regularly.My answer would be that flying out through Manchester airport is a horrible experience. We avoid it if we possibly can, Liverpool being infinitely nicer to use (- although that is starting to deteriorate in the same way. Don't plan to buy a beer there while you are waiting!)
Exactly!I actually find easyJet just as bad in this regard nowadays, really brusque ground service and very strict on hand luggage. Jet2 are great and BA still treat their passengers reasonably well on the ground.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
They do indeed having done that when I lived there, equally this time of year it‘s not uncommon to find people from parts of northern England flying out of Scottish airports due to the school holidays finishing earlier there.
I actually find easyJet just as bad in this regard nowadays, really brusque ground service and very strict on hand luggage. Jet2 are great and BA still treat their passengers reasonably well on the ground.
I worked there at this time and we worked directly for easyjet.People might remember Airline on ITV with Jane Bolton and Leo Jones among others. None of those people worked for easyjet. They worked for their handling agent at the time (Reed I think).
I worked there at this time and we worked directly for easyjet.
Landed last week into EMA at 2305 through immigration, bags collected walked to the car and on the M1 by 2335. You don't get that elsewhere.
Think Leo Jones did work for easyJet directly. He did a stint at Jet2 also but where he is now I have no idea.I don't think most people realise most of the staff they are dealing with at the airport don't actually work for easyjet or Ryanair. Even if they are wearing those airline's uniforms.
They are handling companies those airline contract out. Usually for the lowest price.
E.g. At both Luton and Manchester, Swissport handle Ryanair whilst DHL handle easyjet.
People might remember Airline on ITV with Jane Bolton and Leo Jones among others. None of those people worked for easyjet. They worked for their handling agent at the time (Reed I think).
It's not always the case. Jet2 generally self-handle and I think their customer service is better off because of it, but that comes at a cost to the company. Ryanair do also self-handle at some airports under a company they own called Azul Handling, but it's not the norm.
And whilst Ryanair admit they incentivize staff in terms of baggage size, I am pretty sure easyjet do too as their staff can be just as overzealous as Ryanair's.