As an example, there is an ECS movement at 23:26 from Reading to Ascot (non-stop), which would provide a later connection to the Farnham service (which is formed by this unit!). I have seen this service depart and know that this has a guard and driver as they form the corresponding service at Ascot, so why can't this be made available for public use?
The only reason I can think of is in circumstances of disruption and the corresponding liability to the rail operator, but surely there must be a way of marking this on a timetable as 'not guaranteed to run', much like unadvertised ordinary passenger services that appear on RTT and on station departure boards but not when planning a journey.
The only reason I can think of is in circumstances of disruption and the corresponding liability to the rail operator, but surely there must be a way of marking this on a timetable as 'not guaranteed to run', much like unadvertised ordinary passenger services that appear on RTT and on station departure boards but not when planning a journey.
. It's more surprising that I'm not surprised a planning error like this could occur... but I'd stand by my point that the train I mention has literally no other route to use so such an issue would be impossible. I should add it's not just this train I particularly care about, it's just interesting to hear about attempts in the past to offer more passenger services in this apparently simple way (but not in practice as it would seem!).