• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why are trainspotters being treated like terriorists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richa2002

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,298
Got to agree, guess it's just amateur photographers who don't quite understand the workings of photos.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class 313

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2005
Messages
6,475
Location
St Albans
No, you're saying the flash rule is unarguable. It is arguable due to there being a difference of opinion, that's a simple fact of life! If you don't believe the evidence then fair enough, but we can't prove either way so have to at least accept it or the whole act of people giving evidence is useless. What's to say yours or anyone else's is more true? Yes, we have it from the 'horse's mouth' so to speak such as 'O L Leigh' but if we're being so suspicious about the truthfulness as you are, then what's to say he's telling the truth or even a train driver at all? I'm sure he is, just making a point that you should respect LilLoaf's evidence. Regardless anyway, as it stands, the evidence is in support of the rule. Stop directing so much hate towards me, I'm not the one arguing in favour of 'LilLoaf', just the validity of evidence.

Stop going around with a chip on your shoulder about these sort of things and chill.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Don't know really :?.

I'm chilled, nor am I directing hate you. But I'm keeping with what I'm saying and I have my reasons too, respect that.
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
1) Blocked on MSN becuase arguing on MSN is tiresome with no time to think of a considered response. Don't think anyone on this forum particularly cares about that though.

Whilst you may not want to argue between the 2 of you on MSN, we don't want your argument on here either. Take it elsewhere or stop.
 

Phoenix

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2008
Messages
2,019
Location
birmingham
Well I'll try kick starting this thing back from shamble central.
Well can anyone name any nice stations out there where us spotters are treated properly.
Personally I think Bletchly is the nicest so far as the guys on the barriers just let me in and out to go to the shops and for the odd fag.
 

D306

Established Member
Joined
9 Apr 2007
Messages
2,237
Location
somewhere concrete
Well I'll try kick starting this thing back from shamble central.
Well can anyone name any nice stations out there where us spotters are treated properly.
Personally I think Bletchly is the nicest so far as the guys on the barriers just let me in and out to go to the shops and for the odd fag.

Wolverton isnt to bad. I've been there a couple of times, and the bloke in the office has given me a bit of gen. One morning, when it was really cold, he bought a water boiler and let people have hot drinks as they pleased. very kind if you ask me, especially in these conditons
 

Phoenix

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2008
Messages
2,019
Location
birmingham
Wolverton isnt to bad. I've been there a couple of times, and the bloke in the office has given me a bit of gen. One morning, when it was really cold, he bought a water boiler and let people have hot drinks as they pleased. very kind if you ask me, especially in these conditons

Yeah I went there and they were alright ya know just normal but friendly.
Another one is Berkswell if you have the old guy there he is quite inqusitive but definatly friendly fellow.
Seems like the WCML has some nice staff at their smaller stations.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,835
Location
Nowhere Heath
Best me and James have been to would be Swaythling near Southampton. The guy on duty that day was an ex-crank himself and we spent a nice bit of time filming and chatting away. Could have spent hours doing so, but we were on rovers and wanting to get VFM!
 

LilLoaf

Member
Joined
15 Aug 2008
Messages
510
Right then we shalll go through it again........

Firstly Thank You Richard Armstrong for pointing out that i have a point, you may not totally agree with what i'm saying but i at least you reconise my opinion so thank you.


Right then the conversation i had with the American driver's. They thought it was rather amusing how SOME english driver were blinded by a camera flash even just for a few seconds. I never once have stated that it is concrete evidence so therefore it must be right, not once did i say that.

I have beed in many train cabs both day and night and seen a spotter take photo's of a train with camera flash on. I did not go blind, it was not distracting, yes i seen it but did not effect me in the slightest.

O L Leigh - if you got blinded by a camera flash from a train spotter then please go for a medical check for you passengers sake. Really makes me scared that their are drivers, yes drivers because there more than one on here that have mentioned they go blind from a camera flash. So its not just O L Leigh. But if i did go blind because of a camera flash i would stop driving trains unitl i'd seen a doctor.

Puts things in perspective really doesn't it, their soldiers in Iraq fighting risking their lives, coming home injured, some with hands, arms, legs missing, on people on here are crying on about camera flashes. Now thats madness.
 

D306

Established Member
Joined
9 Apr 2007
Messages
2,237
Location
somewhere concrete
I have beed in many train cabs both day and night and seen a spotter take photo's of a train with camera flash on. I did not go blind, it was not distracting, yes i seen it but did not effect me in the slightest.

it might not have affected you, but it could for other drivers :roll:
 

Mintona

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2006
Messages
3,592
Location
South West
Right then we shalll go through it again........

Firstly Thank You Richard Armstrong for pointing out that i have a point, you may not totally agree with what i'm saying but i at least you reconise my opinion so thank you.


Right then the conversation i had with the American driver's. They thought it was rather amusing how SOME english driver were blinded by a camera flash even just for a few seconds. I never once have stated that it is concrete evidence so therefore it must be right, not once did i say that.

I have beed in many train cabs both day and night and seen a spotter take photo's of a train with camera flash on. I did not go blind, it was not distracting, yes i seen it but did not effect me in the slightest.

O L Leigh - if you got blinded by a camera flash from a train spotter then please go for a medical check for you passengers sake. Really makes me scared that their are drivers, yes drivers because there more than one on here that have mentioned they go blind from a camera flash. So its not just O L Leigh. But if i did go blind because of a camera flash i would stop driving trains unitl i'd seen a doctor.

Puts things in perspective really doesn't it, their soldiers in Iraq fighting risking their lives, coming home injured, some with hands, arms, legs missing, on people on here are crying on about camera flashes. Now thats madness.

Are you saying O L Leigh is incompetent?
 

class 313

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2005
Messages
6,475
Location
St Albans
R

I have beed in many train cabs both day and night and seen a spotter take photo's of a train with camera flash on. I did not go blind, it was not distracting, yes i seen it but did not effect me in the slightest.

O L Leigh - if you got blinded by a camera flash from a train spotter then please go for a medical check for you passengers sake. Really makes me scared that their are drivers, yes drivers because there more than one on here that have mentioned they go blind from a camera flash. So its not just O L Leigh. But if i did go blind because of a camera flash i would stop driving trains unitl i'd seen a doctor.

Eugh its this attitude that annoys me! The 'I dont get blinded so that means no one else should'. Or 'It doesn't distract me so why would it others?'

It does! Ok? Understand that.

And how dare you compare a driver getting flashed to wars. The war in Iraq has nothing to do with this. You're pretty much saying that I shouldn't moan if I get hurt because there's people in the world that have it worse. What a ridiculous statement to make Lil Loaf!
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,560
Location
Somewhere
Right then we shalll go through it again........

Firstly Thank You Richard Armstrong for pointing out that i have a point, you may not totally agree with what i'm saying but i at least you reconise my opinion so thank you.


Right then the conversation i had with the American driver's. They thought it was rather amusing how SOME english driver were blinded by a camera flash even just for a few seconds. I never once have stated that it is concrete evidence so therefore it must be right, not once did i say that.

I have beed in many train cabs both day and night and seen a spotter take photo's of a train with camera flash on. I did not go blind, it was not distracting, yes i seen it but did not effect me in the slightest.

O L Leigh - if you got blinded by a camera flash from a train spotter then please go for a medical check for you passengers sake. Really makes me scared that their are drivers, yes drivers because there more than one on here that have mentioned they go blind from a camera flash. So its not just O L Leigh. But if i did go blind because of a camera flash i would stop driving trains unitl i'd seen a doctor.

Puts things in perspective really doesn't it, their soldiers in Iraq fighting risking their lives, coming home injured, some with hands, arms, legs missing, on people on here are crying on about camera flashes. Now thats madness.

What a poor poor poor argument and you appear so arrogant it is unbelievable. Also, to bring someones professional capabilities into the equation in order to try and discredit them is totally out of order.

I'd also suggest that you yourself should visist a doctor or optician if you are not affected at all by direct camera flash!
 

O L Leigh

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2006
Messages
5,609
Location
In the cab with the paper
O L Leigh - if you got blinded by a camera flash from a train spotter then please go for a medical check for you passengers sake. Really makes me scared that their are drivers, yes drivers because there more than one on here that have mentioned they go blind from a camera flash. So its not just O L Leigh. But if i did go blind because of a camera flash i would stop driving trains unitl i'd seen a doctor.

We've been through this once already, but clearly you seem set on misinterpreting whatever I say on the matter.

I believe I may have already offered to take your picture using flash while you are concentrating on a task, such as slicing veg with a very sharp knife, so that you can experience exactly what I'm trying to describe. The offer still stands.

Oh, but you aren't allowed to stop slicing while you wait for your vision to return. You've just got to carry on without pausing and without any reduction in the standard of your work or any mistakes, because if you do any of those things you will lose your financial security and all future job prospects. Imagine how annoyed you would be with me for putting you at that risk.

Getting the idea yet...?

O L Leigh
 

LilLoaf

Member
Joined
15 Aug 2008
Messages
510
I am sitting with a camera in my hand now, just taken a picture of myself with the flash on (its quite a nice pic actually). I done this in order to try and see what you are on about, so i am trying to see your point but i still don't.
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
LilLoaf - do you drive a car? Have you never been dazzled by a car coming towards you at night with their headlights on full beam?
That's what a camera flash can do to a train driver, especially in the dark.
 

class 313

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2005
Messages
6,475
Location
St Albans
I am sitting with a camera in my hand now, just taken a picture of myself with the flash on (its quite a nice pic actually). I done this in order to try and see what you are on about, so i am trying to see your point but i still don't.

Did you close your eyes? :roll:
 

Phoenix

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2008
Messages
2,019
Location
birmingham
I just think that flash should not be just out of respect to the drivers as it can just become annoying more than anything.
But honestly I feelthis thread is bringing up some very valid point but some poeple have gone way over the top and it's all sounding way too dramatic.

Basically flash does cause spots in your eye and even though it may be only for a short time can affect a drivers judgement so it just shouldn't be used directly at a driver so a long exposure should be used.

But.........If it is a railtour pulling into a station the driver should slightly expect it being a famous train and whatnot but when the train is begining to pull off you should leave it again.

Also just a quick thought rather than some people getting completly annoyed with eachother why don't we just end the matter here and carry on talking about other aspects of this disscusion as I tried starting a new convo once and someone decided to be smart and drag this funking shizz up once more.
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
I am sitting with a camera in my hand now, just taken a picture of myself with the flash on (its quite a nice pic actually). I done this in order to try and see what you are on about, so i am trying to see your point but i still don't.

Seriously? You've just fired a camera flash into your eyes with no ill effects *at all*? No spots in front of your eyes? No temporary (however short) loss of vision?
If that's honestly true, then you are a medical miracle and I would like to be the first to apply to be your PR agent.
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,560
Location
Somewhere
I am sitting with a camera in my hand now, just taken a picture of myself with the flash on (its quite a nice pic actually). I done this in order to try and see what you are on about, so i am trying to see your point but i still don't.

Visual impairment is only half the issue...the other is the distraction issue as noted by O L Leigh.
 

O L Leigh

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2006
Messages
5,609
Location
In the cab with the paper
I am sitting with a camera in my hand now, just taken a picture of myself with the flash on (its quite a nice pic actually). I done this in order to try and see what you are on about, so i am trying to see your point but i still don't.

You've botched the experiment. You undertake it on my terms or not at all. Only then might you have some understanding.

O L Leigh
 

P156KWJ

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2007
Messages
4,226
Location
Nottinghamshire
Right then we shalll go through it again........

Firstly Thank You Richard Armstrong for pointing out that i have a point, you may not totally agree with what i'm saying but i at least you reconise my opinion so thank you.


Right then the conversation i had with the American driver's. They thought it was rather amusing how SOME english driver were blinded by a camera flash even just for a few seconds. I never once have stated that it is concrete evidence so therefore it must be right, not once did i say that.

I have beed in many train cabs both day and night and seen a spotter take photo's of a train with camera flash on. I did not go blind, it was not distracting, yes i seen it but did not effect me in the slightest.

O L Leigh - if you got blinded by a camera flash from a train spotter then please go for a medical check for you passengers sake. Really makes me scared that their are drivers, yes drivers because there more than one on here that have mentioned they go blind from a camera flash. So its not just O L Leigh. But if i did go blind because of a camera flash i would stop driving trains unitl i'd seen a doctor.

Puts things in perspective really doesn't it, their soldiers in Iraq fighting risking their lives, coming home injured, some with hands, arms, legs missing, on people on here are crying on about camera flashes. Now thats madness.


If you are calling a driver with experience incompitent and unfit for his job whilst your saying 'ooh I've cabbed a train so I know all about it' I find that is attitude that reflects shallow thinking. You should realise that if a bright light flashes and you are not expecting it, you will be affected. Flashes on cameras may only show for a fraction of a second but are extremely bright. Also, you obviously don't know about photography. I hardly ever use my flash. To prove it I have two examples (note that the one taken with flash was accidental and I put my hands up and admit I was at falt so don't bother pointing that out).

SDC10862.jpg

with flash
SDC10863.jpg

without flash (yeah I know it's a bit crap, but I didn't have a tripod).

And one last thing LilLoaf, learn to bloody type!
 

LilLoaf

Member
Joined
15 Aug 2008
Messages
510
Lets keep it civil folks.

You are joking aren't you, i only have a differance of opinion and i am getting my head bitten off by certain people. O L Leigh wants me to distract me while cutting vergetables in the hope i'll cut my figures. In another thread of a similer nature entitled "Attitude doesn't help" he said he wanted to do something equally stupid in an attempt for me to change me mind.

At the end of the day i have my opinion and thats that. Yes i'm persistant, and at times aragont maybe. But i stand up to what i belive in. I've always been the same, i will not be told. Once my mind is made up it takes a lot to change it.
 

D306

Established Member
Joined
9 Apr 2007
Messages
2,237
Location
somewhere concrete
so you believe in having drivers bite your head off, not listening to people who go out regularly each week to phot trains and to start using a flash wherever the hell you want?

no wonder we're regarded as terrorists
 

AlexS

Established Member
Joined
7 Jun 2005
Messages
2,886
Location
Just outside the Black Country
Yes, you're an idiot who won't take what people who are more informed than you have to say on a subject.

The same issue seems to be relevent to you time and time again, so I'd suggest you stick to messing around at school and stop darkening our doorstep.
 

O L Leigh

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2006
Messages
5,609
Location
In the cab with the paper
O L Leigh wants me to distract me while cutting vergetables in the hope i'll cut my figures.

Good grief...!! I do believe he's beginning to see the point.

What's wrong with my plan? You clearly aren't concerned about distracting me and that I might have a career-ending incident as a result.

O L Leigh
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top