• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why are there no direct trains to Blackpool North?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,943
Location
Fenny Stratford
Why is there no direct trains to Blackpool North from Leeds or Bradford anymore?

It seems madness that by changing at Preston to catch the stopper, journeys are now nearly 40 to 50 minutes longer.

Very frustrating and seems to be putting people off judging by the recent loading on the train.

I do t think it is a conspiracy more a temporary change due to timetabling and electrification impacts

Anyway Blackpool is a cess pit. Such a terrible, tacky and run down dump.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eric

Member
Joined
21 Oct 2010
Messages
594
Location
West Yorkshire
I do t think it is a conspiracy more a temporary change due to timetabling and electrification impacts

Anyway Blackpool is a cess pit. Such a terrible, tacky and run down dump.

I'd much rather visit Bridlington or Scarborough but the wife wanted to see the illuminations.

Rather than start a new thread, does anyone know if Northern plan to raise the height of the tables on the class 158 units?

I'm quite a tall man and I've found myself straining my back when sat at them recently. IMO they are slightly low which is something I've never noticed before until now.
 

Adam0984

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2014
Messages
1,213
A daytime journey Leeds to Blackpool with a change at Preston is round about 2 hours 20 mins compared to about 2 hours 20 mins when trains ran the full route before the Blackpool Electrification. So I’m not sure where the initial message of 40-50 mins longer
 

Eric

Member
Joined
21 Oct 2010
Messages
594
Location
West Yorkshire
A daytime journey Leeds to Blackpool with a change at Preston is round about 2 hours 20 mins compared to about 2 hours 20 mins when trains ran the full route before the Blackpool Electrification. So I’m not sure where the initial message of 40-50 mins longer

Bradford to Blackpool used to be around 1 hour 50 minutes, and now it's 2 hours 25 mins/35 mins depending what train you catch, so an extra 40 minutes inconvenience.

Strangely on the national rail planner it now offers you via Leeds and Manchetser for more money and nearly an hour longer. Madness.
 

Monkeyhead

Member
Joined
21 Sep 2016
Messages
90
Yes, but Blackpool is a leisure destination and having to change and be corralled like cattle is not what people who visit by car from Leeds have to do. Driving time from Leeds anyone?

I'll find out in a couple of weeks when I take the kids to see the illuminations. Have a family railcard, and use the train as much as possible as I love a train journey, but no chance of doing this. £42 return (about 400 miles worth of diesel in my current car), 2h43m there, 3h36m(!!!) back. Nah, not a hope in hell. I get that they have operational issues, but when people say they're impacting leisure/discretionary travel, they're spot on......
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,897
Location
East Anglia
Bradford to Blackpool used to be around 1 hour 50 minutes, and now it's 2 hours 25 mins/35 mins depending what train you catch, so an extra 40 minutes inconvenience.

Strangely on the national rail planner it now offers you via Leeds and Manchetser for more money and nearly an hour longer. Madness.
If you are relying on journey planner then that's the problem. It will give you the minimum connection time at Preston. You do not need all that time so the Bradford arrival will make the xx44/45 departure & get you to the resort in around 2hrs.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,794
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I can see it being a mess for sure. I can imagine it being hard to see what queue is what when there are multiple trains due to leave soon.

We were actually let on the platform with quite a bit of time to spare but it didn't stop people running as if we were being let into Harrods on Boxing Day.

It is a truly bizarre way to manage people!

It's better than the Euston scrum. I'd happily swap.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,943
Location
Fenny Stratford
I'd much rather visit Bridlington or Scarborough but the wife wanted to see the illuminations.

Rather than start a new thread, does anyone know if Northern plan to raise the height of the tables on the class 158 units?

I'm quite a tall man and I've found myself straining my back when sat at them recently. IMO they are slightly low which is something I've never noticed before until now.

Agreed: there are much better and nicer northern seaside places to visit. Personally i have never liked Brid. Don't know why
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Oh how I love Blackpool North - belting hot summer and they even have the doors locked - not just shut but locked - even then and when i complained that people queuing in an airless space like that was stupid they told me it was for safety reasons and when i asked what they were they didn't reply.

Call forward to this morning and they didn't even have the doors unlocked in anticipation of my train rolling in so had to give it a kick to get their attention without getting all Daily Mail here but if there was an incident on a platform then I couldn't really see an emergency exit and thats far far worse than just letting people come and go as they wish as long as they have passed through the gates
 

Adam0984

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2014
Messages
1,213
2 hours 13 by going on the 1212 for example arriving at 1427 changing at Preston, but is possible in 1 hour 59 with a quick change at Preston which daytime is usually a cross platform change which is comparable to the old times
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,897
Location
East Anglia
2 hours 13 by going on the 1212 for example arriving at 1427 changing at Preston, but is possible in 1 hour 59 with a quick change at Preston which daytime is usually a cross platform change which is comparable to the old times
Exactly. I never pay attention to journey planners. I can do it far better myself with good old fashioned timetables or live departures.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
I do t think it is a conspiracy more a temporary change due to timetabling and electrification impacts

Anyway Blackpool is a cess pit. Such a terrible, tacky and run down dump.


Says the man from Darlington - its getting a 5 star hotel built you know plus other improvements over the years to come from what i read. I quite like its tackyness too ;)
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
Bradford to Blackpool used to be around 1 hour 50 minutes, and now it's 2 hours 25 mins/35 mins depending what train you catch, so an extra 40 minutes inconvenience.

Strangely on the national rail planner it now offers you via Leeds and Manchetser for more money and nearly an hour longer. Madness.

Unfortunately, due to engineering works and industrial action, the expensive (and often overcrowded) routes via Manchester are often the only way that people can get from Yorkshire to the North West without encountering a very long bus journey or nothing at all
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,947
Location
UK
Anyone tried asking Northern management? OK, silly question.

I assume plenty of people have. There have been numerous Tweets and Geoff Marshall mentioned it in the All the Stations videos and online. I am sure there are many people from Northern rail on here too, possibly even staff based there.
 

geoffk

On Moderation
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
3,933
Location
Exeter
I assume plenty of people have. There have been numerous Tweets and Geoff Marshall mentioned it in the All the Stations videos and online. I am sure there are many people from Northern rail on here too, possibly even staff based there.
An editorial and several letters a few months ago in "Today's Railways UK", which I expect you've seen, but no comment from Northern.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top