• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why are the seats numbered on the class 350/1/2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2016
Messages
750
Location
London
I just observed this. I’m not sure if they are numbered in the /3 variances with the unrefurbed interiors.

I don’t think the 730/2 have numbered seats although I haven’t really observed this.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2019
Messages
11,182
Location
West Wiltshire
It's not just 350s, when GWR recently repainted some 165 and 166, seat numbers were added outside by the doors. There is even a zero and double zero number for disabled spaces.

However they only ever operate with counted place reservations, not specific allocated seats, so why anyone needs to know the seat number is a complete mystery to me.
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,924
The 350/1s at least I think had seat reservations when introduced on the Birmingham to Liverpool trains. The 350/4s had them for TPE.

Otherwise the only thing that it makes easier is defect reporting.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,673
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
The /2s have a particularly clever bit of numbering - the third seat on the 3 side is numbered in a separate range after the other two, so if (in the days LM actually did reservations, which ended when Euston stopped having a card printer and aren't welcome back as they caused all manner of arguments) a /1 was subbed with a /2 the reservations mostly still worked in terms of people being together rather than people ending up split, though it won't have been perfect because the layout isn't the same.
 

RailWonderer

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2018
Messages
2,217
Location
All around the network
The /2s have a particularly clever bit of numbering - the third seat on the 3 side is numbered in a separate range after the other two, so if (in the days LM actually did reservations, which ended when Euston stopped having a card printer and aren't welcome back as they caused all manner of arguments) a /1 was subbed with a /2 the reservations mostly still worked in terms of people being together rather than people ending up split, though it won't have been perfect because the layout isn't the same.
How often did LM run /2s on the London - Birmingham routes? I remember just by using LM a few times in that era they were very good at keeping the /1s to Brum and Crewe services and the /2s to the Tring and Northampton services with didn't have reservations if I remember.
 
Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,673
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
How often did LM run /2s on the London - Brimingham routes? I remember just by using LM a few times in that era they were very good at keeping the /1s to Brum and Crewe services and the /2s to the Tring and Northampton services with didn't have reservations if I remember.

Usually the front set which was continuing past Northampton was a /1, but they did occasionally get mixed up, including sending them to Crewe despite the fact that (until the whole fleet was converted to 110mph running) they lost time when they did. Later on in their life the 350s appeared to mostly run as a single pool, but some services seemed to be more likely to be one or the other, while others were totally random.

Nonetheless having compatible reservations (as far as feasible) does make sense!
 

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2019
Messages
3,969
Location
Northampton
How often did LM run /2s on the London - Birmingham routes? I remember just by using LM a few times in that era they were very good at keeping the /1s to Brum and Crewe services and the /2s to the Tring and Northampton services with didn't have reservations if I remember.

Did? They do now.
I travelled last Tuesday; 06.50 Northampton Euston 2 x 350/2s; they continued all day on Euston - Birmingham (well, looking at RTT, until one one failed later so only 1x350/2 for the evening peak)
Yesterday travelled to Leighton (obviously on Euston Birminghams); up journey 350/2 + 350/1 (luxury) return 2 x 350.
If anything 350/2s seem more common on Euston - Birmingham than if the 350 fleet was allocated completely randomly. Check RTT, now that it shows stock.
 

RailWonderer

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2018
Messages
2,217
Location
All around the network
Did? They do now.
I know, I was just referring to the London Midland era where that was a lot rarer. I was surprised a few months ago to see so many /2s on Brum services, but then given passengers doing the full distance have chosen to save instead of travelling on Avanti, it's more accepted than say London - Portsmouth/Poole where SWR is the only operator and everyone expects a 444 instead of a 450.
 

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2019
Messages
3,969
Location
Northampton
I know, I was just referring to the London Midland era where that was a lot rarer. I was surprised a few months ago to see so many /2s on Brum services, but then given passengers doing the full distance have chosen to save instead of travelling on Avanti, it's more accepted than say London - Portsmouth/Poole where SWR is the only operator and everyone expects a 444 instead of a 450.

Yes, Birmingham - Euston passengers pay £20.90* because there's competition with Avanti
Northampton - Euston it's £20.60*.
Benefit of competition, eh.

* NRES fares 'travel now'.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top