• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why are people, who are trying to pay at first opportunity, sometimes challenged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bookd

Member
Joined
27 Aug 2015
Messages
445
A feature that I find odd in this (and some other recent threads) is that if a conductor is on duty at the station for the purpose of selling tickets, and a passenger goes to buy one, why is it also considered necessary for a 'minder' to intervene and question the transaction. Of course I know that there will be people who try to cheat, but the fact of approaching the conductor shows intent to pay (even if in breach of the 'earliest opportunity' rule. Treating passengers as potentially criminal until they prove otherwise does not do the railway any favours.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,529
Location
Yorkshire
I've split the above post from Story not believed by STM staff at Bradford Forster Square (which was posted in Disputes & Prosecutions, in line with our policy stated in the sticky thread: Please read before posting in Disputes & Prosecutions "....should you wish to discuss such practices or your ideas for changes to them, you must post this in a separate thread in the appropriate forum...")

Anyway, to answer the question: because they want to catch people out who may have been hoping not to be challenged.

Unfortunately some of the people who Northern employ or contract for this purpose are not the brightest, and can, on some occasions I'm aware of, be rather too keen to catch people out.:|
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
...why is it also considered necessary for a 'minder' to intervene and question the transaction.
You answered your own question:

Of course I know that there will be people who try to cheat...
However, as Yorkie pointed out, while this works fine in theory, in practice it requires the 'minder' to (a) have a supply of common sense along with the ability to reason; and (b) understand ticketing. Sadly, far too often one or both of these seems not to be the case.
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
Although we should note that the sample we see here is highly skewed. Most people who fare dodge deliberately, won't come to these forums - they'll have a ready made excuse, and if court they'll know that the game is up. People who make errors or are wrongly accused are much more likely to seek further help.
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,928
A feature that I find odd in this (and some other recent threads) is that if a conductor is on duty at the station for the purpose of selling tickets, and a passenger goes to buy one, why is it also considered necessary for a 'minder' to intervene and question the transaction. Of course I know that there will be people who try to cheat, but the fact of approaching the conductor shows intent to pay (even if in breach of the 'earliest opportunity' rule. Treating passengers as potentially criminal until they prove otherwise does not do the railway any favours.

To attempt to upset the 'I'll only pay if I really have to' gang, essentially. I love spoiling their day when I have to same train a few times regularly and learn the faces of the types who will hand over cash if asked but try their best not to be noticed!
 

plastictaffy

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2012
Messages
1,104
Location
Unfortunately, Maps has stopped.
To attempt to upset the 'I'll only pay if I really have to' gang, essentially. I love spoiling their day when I have to same train a few times regularly and learn the faces of the types who will hand over cash if asked but try their best not to be noticed!

Quite. It's not often we work the same trains more than one or two days on the bounce at my place, but when you do?? It's great, you walk into a carriage and you see them "oh, it's him again........"
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
A feature that I find odd in this (and some other recent threads) is that if a conductor is on duty at the station for the purpose of selling tickets, and a passenger goes to buy one, why is it also considered necessary for a 'minder' to intervene and question the transaction. Of course I know that there will be people who try to cheat, but the fact of approaching the conductor shows intent to pay (even if in breach of the 'earliest opportunity' rule. Treating passengers as potentially criminal until they prove otherwise does not do the railway any favours.

Maybe they see the RPI then go and try to pay in an attempt to loo innocent about it all ;)

Theres lots of variables at stake here and you're right that not everyone is out there to cheat but ask staff who work, as shown by the two above posters, there are many who do on a regular daily basis on their commute. And you can blame those people for the railways sometimes blunt and heavy handed approach to revenue protection.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Once when I went to use the toilet I left to find the conductor standing outside asking for my ticket. Although, :
1. She had already seen my ticket.
2. She had recently done a full ticket inspection and since that inspection the only station called at was a village one where no-one got on or off.

It seems she thought anyone using the toilet is a potential fare evader.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top