Why are car drivers subsidised so heavily?
What I don't understand is why companies normally compensate staff for personal car use at a rate of 40p per mile (possibly higher now). I think that rate is set by HMRC. For this trip, that would be £160, much more than the train. According it this thread, the actually price of driving is less than half that.
Why are car drivers subsidised so heavily? It seems a rate of around 15p per mile would be more appropriate.
---
This was an accidental post, intended for another thread... But as it seems to be a live discussion, I guess it won't be deleted...
What I don't understand is why companies normally compensate staff for personal car use at a rate of 40p per mile (possibly higher now). I think that rate is set by HMRC. For this trip, that would be £160, much more than the train. According it this thread, the actually price of driving is less than half that.
Why are car drivers subsidised so heavily? It seems a rate of around 15p per mile would be more appropriate.
---
This was an accidental post, intended for another thread... But as it seems to be a live discussion, I guess it won't be deleted...
Last edited: