There's probably several factors at play here.
Firstly, most buses these days have fully automatic gearboxes, whereas in years gone by there would be far more manual and semi-automatic geared buses which allow an additional level of control.
Secondly, since the advent of low-floor buses, buses tend to be be much lighter at the front end, with the vast majority of weight concentrated towards the rear. This is great for traction, but not so good for steering in slippery conditions.
Thirdly, far more cars on the roads these days. Where in years passed, cars would be confined to people's driveways etc, there's far more on street parking nowadays (often cited as a reason for removing buses from estates etc) which can make roads which are normally passable a lot more risky in poor road/weather conditions.
Fourthly, continuing with amount of cars in the road but also adding in modern day driving standards. Buses are far more likely to encounter, say, a car coming towards them when travelling up a hill, which is unwilling to give way. This results in the bus having to stop or slow down, and having lost all momentum, struggle to get going again. Also, far more likely to encounter a sideways, wheel spinning BMW blocking the road.
I would think that is very much part of the reason as it is in many other industries and organisations.I would add in that companies are more risk averse / risk sensitive partly due to the increasing likelihood of legal action against the company in the event of an "incident".
Some one will probably take a video and say profit over safety. So to avoid anything they just pull buses off the road.I would add in that companies are more risk averse / risk sensitive partly due to the increasing likelihood of legal action against the company in the event of an "incident".
There are a number of things at play.
It is true that vehicle design is a factor. Similarly, there is a consideration for health and safety of passengers and staff (and potential litigation) so that is an issue. However, part of it is that, via social media, you tend to find these things out more.
My late father was a driver at a depot and I can remember a Saturday morning where three Bristol VRs were blown off the road. The third one was actually returning to base after the first two incidents. Didn't make it into the local rag.
Let's not fall into the trap that things were always so much better in the past. I can remember plenty of times where buses were hauled off the road when the snow began to fall.
Can't work out why, but Tuesday mornings are worst for traffic congestion....I have a few observations. I will say before I start, each point is an individual point and it is my experience, no concrete facts behind it but based off my experiences and conversations that I have had with staff.
1. I would say agree with others that there are more cars but on top of that, the traffic levels are a lot more variable. The exact same driver could do the exact same trip and yet one day do it in 15 minutes, the next day do it in 20, the day after 12. This variable traffic can make it very difficult to timetable buses. Now worse than ever since Covid as Mondays are or were quieter than the rest of the week. Friday commuter traffic would be down but evening peak would start earlier. That kind of variable traffic is very hard to timetable for without different timetables for every day of the week or doing a D&G and take the normal journey time, times it by 17 and that is the timetabled journey time.
I could fill a book on greenroad - where I work doesn't use it or any form of telematics to monitor the drivers. They're trusted to get on and do their job. Both Greenroad and RiBAS measure the acceleration, braking, and general control of how a vehicle is driven by using a gyroscope fitted in the rear of the vehicle. So if you meet a stupid car driver who brake checks you or flies at you on a country lane at 60mph and you have to stand your bus/coach on it's nose to avoid a collision you'll have a nice red light for your trouble. Or an amber. Those things detract from your 'score' which in some less enlightened organisations leads to a discussion on your continued employment status over a biscuit and a cup of a hot beverage. Of course, said units can be installed incorrectly, become defective and were actually designed for use on American roads. We have very special roads here, which aren't really roads we drive on what's left of them.3. I think before a lot of drivers used to drive more similarly and so the journey time was less variable. Now some drivers would rather pootle along and some are extremely risk averse, others floor it and nearly take off half a dozen wingmirrors. This isn't then helped by some things such as Greenroad where drivers are encouraged to drive safer but because of how the system works, it can flag up wrongly meaning drivers go even slower so as not to get marks against their name (There was a roundabout near Chester, I want to say Deeside Industrial Estate, where the road is on an angle and so when going around the corner, as well as the angle on the roundabout, it would flag up as dangerous driving but it wasn't, it was the angle on the road. I am sure there will be some drivers with some great stories on Greenroad/telematics and how it's wrongly flagged up. Greenroad/telematics I can see the benefits, it just has some flaws.
If you hit the bell, presumably you're getting off the bus. If I can't see that in the rear view mirror, then someone's obviously not getting off the bus and I'm shutting the doors and going. The office can fix the problem of the complaining customer. I have a timetable to sort of keep.5. People used to be stood up at the doors waiting to get off, now I have witnessed times where people will wait until a few seconds after the bus doors have opened before they even think about getting off. It all adds to the dwell time, but this dwell time is variable. You can have a few of these people on one trip, and have none the next and so the journey times will be faster. It was the case that if you weren't stood up ready to get off, the driver would drive past the stop as it was likely a kid messing around with the bell. Now in an increasing number of areas, people refuse to stand before the bus has opened it's doors.
This is one side effect of the cumulative stand time approach Stagecoach and others practice. If you're regarding the stand time as break time which doesn't count towards the driving time then naturally the union will tell the driver(s) to treat it as such. Either the driver is at work, or they're not at work. Stagecoach generally wants drivers to drive to the maximum time as that is more efficient for them and they require fewer of them. This returns 'the problem' of a new timetable that doesn't work back to the people that created it. If the people who can't plan the timetables can't do it properly, why is that our problem? I've seen this mindset play to the extreme at one Stagecoach depot when in 2009, they received 15 brand new Scania/Enviro 400s for the relaunch of their interurban service which happened to be my daily commute to work.6. I can't speak for all areas but I am noticing a rise in dordling drivers as well. Stagecoach Rock Ferry is awful for it. Years ago it was proper bus people who were proud to run a service and be on time. Now people are more worried about organising their night out at the weekend and trying to resolve the worlds. I genuinely think that drivers wait to see the bus outside before they think about going to the toilet and then getting a drink, doing their hair in the mirror, get their belongings from the canteen, then have a chat with the desk on their way out. Before drivers were there, ready and waiting to take over, amongst certain companies for sure, it's just so care free. Kind of 'whatever if I am late, I am not bothered'. Very few people actually trying to run back on time. Interestingly this seems to be more of an issue at big operators and I think that is because it's drilled into every driver, 'there are thousands of reasons for being late but no one to run early' which can essentially translate into 'run as late as you want, pick an excuse out of the book, just don't run early'.
I've mentioned before that Stagecoach controllers have to stipulate reasons for non operation of services and that it is tracked, discussed at monthly management meetings with those who head the company. Lost mileage is accounted for and drivers don't have permission to lose journeys - it must be given by controllers who answer to management, who answer to the directors. Management who lose excessive levels of service don't stay in charge of depots long, they're removed. I'll leave to your imagination what removal means - it can involve the issuing of a P45 document to the employee concerned and perhaps some money paid in lieu of a notice period.7. It wouldn't be my post without slating bus staff though. Outside of London, from what I have seen, operational staff aren't anywhere near as good at regulating buses. Years ago it was the case of if the bus was too late and another one was nearby behind, you run short, you drop a trip etc. I think there has become more scrutiny on lost mileage and by telling a bus to miss a full/part of a trip, means paperwork and possibly questions asked. If a bus runs endlessly late though, no one seems to ask questions and if they did, you just say traffic or something like that. Regulating buses to put them back on time is seen as a worse option than just letting buses run endlessly late. I have seen a 1 bus, 25 min round trip, half hourly circular and the depot told the bus to run 25 late when instead the bus could have had 5 minutes off and been back on time. That is paperwork though and why fill in paperwork and have higher ups questioning when if it's not noted down on paper (like late running), no one will ever find out the real reasons for whatever has happened.. That's why buses can remain bunched up for so long, no one wants it to happen but the industry has wrongly prioritised heavily late running and buses following eachother, over trying to get buses back on time. Lateness then causes issues with breaks which means more delays later on and it's a snowball effect.
In addition to non operation of services is regular late running on routes also discussed and monitored at these management meeting?I've mentioned before that Stagecoach controllers have to stipulate reasons for non operation of services and that it is tracked, discussed at monthly management meetings with those who head the company. Lost mileage is accounted for and drivers don't have permission to lose journeys - it must be given by controllers who answer to management, who answer to the directors. Management who lose excessive levels of service don't stay in charge of depots long, they're removed. I'll leave to your imagination what removal means - it can involve the issuing of a P45 document to the employee concerned and perhaps some money paid in lieu of a notice period.
I've also seen the forms controllers have to complete whenever journeys aren't operated. If one part of Stagecoach uses the system, it'll be universal throughout the group. They're a little OCD on order and structure.
I haven't sat in one, so can't answer. I've heard the raised voices through walls, though! They weren't very thick walls.In addition to non operation of services is regular late running on routes also discussed and monitored at these management meeting?
It's the same 4 buses which usually stay on the one route all day. If there is a serious delay earlier in the day another bus is sometimes substituted onto the route and the original late running bus taken off. However, this very rarely happens later in the day, which means that from mid afternoon onwards buses can get later and later until early evening when they return to the depot. Its the last 4 round trips of the day which are regularly seriously late running because they don't arrive into the bus station from the outward journey until well after departure time.Turning the question around - would regular late running on a service create an issue where a following journey was unable to operate because the bus operating it's previous trip wasn't there in time to operate the journey. In some way, the response to this would answer your question unless you intended it to be rhetorical?
Under this scenario then, there'll be lots of paperwork relating to non operation of journeys on a subsidised contract with possible penalty charges associating for the non operational (or late running - traffic commissioner cuts off a late running trip at a certain point and regards it as non operational) standard of the contract.It's the same 4 buses which usually stay on the one route all day. If there is a serious delay earlier in the day another bus is sometimes substituted onto the route and the original late running bus taken off. However, this very rarely happens later in the day, which means that from mid afternoon onwards buses can get later and later until early evening when they return to the depot. Its the last 4 round trips of the day which are regularly seriously late running because they don't arrive into the bus station from the outward journey until well after departure time.
I think you are making some pretty heroic assumptions that anybody is actually looking at all this information (bus companies, transport authorities and traffic commissioners administrative staff are quite thin on the ground nowadays) and that passengers are actually complaining to bus companies and these are getting through central customer care unit bland replies.........Under this scenario then, there'll be lots of paperwork relating to non operation of journeys on a subsidised contract with possible penalty charges associating for the non operational (or late running - traffic commissioner cuts off a late running trip at a certain point and regards it as non operational) standard of the contract.
This would be backed up by tracking information and all of those issues would be visible - both to the company and to the council tendering the service. Alongside this there'd be customer complaints received for the late/non operating journeys. This is something else a Stagecoach depot is measured on - level of customer complaints. Someone will want to know why the customers are more unhappy than before....
We can but hope can't we?I think you are making some pretty heroic assumptions that anybody is actually looking at all this information (bus companies, transport authorities and traffic commissioners administrative staff are quite thin on the ground nowadays) and that passengers are actually complaining to bus companies and these are getting through central customer care unit bland replies.........
Possibly a break requirement or not getting paid, I know Arriva thought we could load a full bus in zero seconds.I find with some services I use from bus stations for example, they load the bus with passengers at the time the bus is due to depart!