• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who's a volunteer on a Preserved Railway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
I am.

I'm a TTI, looking to become a Guard and eventually a Diesel Driver at the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway, as well as the Strathspey Railway (the one and only)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
I used to be a trainee guard at one preserved railway but left because I wasn't happy with some aspects of the role, I do intend on joining a preserved railway either as as a TTI or as a Porter.

Saying that I did learn a lot about the grade which helped me no end and would like to finish the training, never mind though as I probably start to look for a role in the New Year.
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
Yes, station staff, maintenance work on a Thumper, soon to be trainee guard, pilotman on a section of our line when under a specific state, soon to be (as in, by this Sunday) colour light handsignalman. (Most of these ops competencies are limited by age, however).
 
Last edited:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
9,672
I work in civil maintenance (i think thats the official name) at Keighley and worth valley railway which i enjoy :)
 

Mvann

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2010
Messages
790
Location
Peterborough
I have volunteered on the Northampton and lamport railway, southall and the welsh highland. Unfortunately I don't have much time these day to do any voluntary work.
 

pinkpanther

Member
Joined
10 Jul 2009
Messages
134
Location
Bournemouth
I figured that if you're going to learn, the best place to start is the dirtiest of the lot and started volunteering as a cleaner at Swanage MPD at the start of July.

They're a very friendly bunch in Purbeck, and I'm certainly enjoying the chance to get out from behind my usual desk and do something messier for a change!
 

floydeeeee

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2010
Messages
46
I figured that if you're going to learn, the best place to start is the dirtiest of the lot and started volunteering as a cleaner at Swanage MPD at the start of July.

They're a very friendly bunch in Purbeck, and I'm certainly enjoying the chance to get out from behind my usual desk and do something messier for a change!

ive been thinking about this too, would you recommend it down at swanage then?
 

D107

Member
Joined
9 May 2006
Messages
154
Location
South Wales
I'm a joint owner of D9521, which is normally based at the Dean Forest Railway. Our group has been fortunate enough to have been invited to take the loco to a number of railways around the country in the 6 years we have owned the Class 14. This year we have been to the Gwili Railway (excellent Rogan Josh!) and the Llangollen Railway (excellent breakfasts!).
 

pinkpanther

Member
Joined
10 Jul 2009
Messages
134
Location
Bournemouth
ive been thinking about this too, would you recommend it down at swanage then?

Most definitely!

It's the sort of place where if you show willingness to learn and put the effort in from the outset you'll quickly get noticed and start moving forward. Although it's hard work it's very rewarding. :)

Please feel free to privmail me if you've any questions or need any contact details/advice.
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
I used to be in my teens, at the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway. Had some cracking weeks up there. Can't find the time now for any such thing, due to family commitments, but I'd love to get involved at Keighley, since it's just down the line from here.
 

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
9,672
I used to be in my teens, at the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway. Had some cracking weeks up there. Can't find the time now for any such thing, due to family commitments, but I'd love to get involved at Keighley, since it's just down the line from here.

You should, i currently doing a masters in civil engineering i dont have a fantastic amount of time, i just do odd bits in civil department they dont expect you to be free much of time just if you can. Only just started but already enjoying it.
 

AlexS

Established Member
Joined
7 Jun 2005
Messages
2,886
Location
Just outside the Black Country
I'm a signalman, shunter, S&T installer, station master, trainee guard and general oddjobber (I occasionally get the urge to do things like paint locos or help restore old buildings) on the GCR.
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
You should, i currently doing a masters in civil engineering i dont have a fantastic amount of time, i just do odd bits in civil department they dont expect you to be free much of time just if you can. Only just started but already enjoying it.

One day I certainly will. My kids are too young and too numerous for me to have any time to myself at weekends, and my wife doesn't understand rail enthusiasm. It's difficult enough to get 2 or 3 passes out a year for railtours, never mind wanting to go to Keighley more often. Statistically of course I'm due for a divorce, having been married for a much longer than average 14 years. If this happens I'll be down there like a shot, but I'm not prepared to make that move just to get more time on and around trains!
 

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
9,672
One day I certainly will. My kids are too young and too numerous for me to have any time to myself at weekends, and my wife doesn't understand rail enthusiasm. It's difficult enough to get 2 or 3 passes out a year for railtours, never mind wanting to go to Keighley more often. Statistically of course I'm due for a divorce, having been married for a much longer than average 14 years. If this happens I'll be down there like a shot, but I'm not prepared to make that move just to get more time on and around trains!

Fair enough. Well ive only just started but i presume theyd always be grateful should it ever become feasable :)
 

CosherB

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2007
Messages
3,041
Location
Northwich
Not really a 'preserved railway', but I'm footplate crew on the replica 'Planet' loco at Manchester Museum of Science & Industry. Great fun driving a 1992-built replica of an 1830 steam loco, with hand valve levers and slip eccentric valve gear! And no cab, so you get wet when it rains!

Here it is at Loughborough when visiting the Great Central earlier this year.

DSC02108res.jpg
 

Barryat11

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2010
Messages
7
Location
Nottingham
I have joined GCR Nottingham (Heritage Transport) & put down volunteer. I got an application for a work permit by return post! It requires a fair bit of filling in & 2 passport photo's... They are asking for qualifications eg PTS (whatever that is), medical qual's, train driver, crane operator etc..I have not worked on the railways & am not anything but a car driver. I would only be able to work the odd Saturday or Sunday anyway..so I may retract the offer of volunteering & stay as a normal member. I do have C & Guilds in Engineering + a confined spaces ticket but I do 45-50hrs a week in full employment in engineering, something else appeals to me as a rail volunteer.. the confined spaces would maybe be useful to them?
 

43021HST

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2008
Messages
1,565
Location
Taunton
I'm at Mid Hants Railway, I did 'maintain' kettles but all the best jobs went to the 'favourite' people so I was normally stuck with the same old boring tasks like wod chopping and cleaning, so I moved to the hampshire unit group, but now I have no money or time to go down there.
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
I have joined GCR Nottingham (Heritage Transport) & put down volunteer. I got an application for a work permit by return post! It requires a fair bit of filling in & 2 passport photo's... They are asking for qualifications eg PTS (whatever that is), medical qual's, train driver, crane operator etc..I have not worked on the railways & am not anything but a car driver. I would only be able to work the odd Saturday or Sunday anyway..so I may retract the offer of volunteering & stay as a normal member. I do have C & Guilds in Engineering + a confined spaces ticket but I do 45-50hrs a week in full employment in engineering, something else appeals to me as a rail volunteer.. the confined spaces would maybe be useful to them?

Hey!

All these qualifications are useful but not neccessary for any role. They will offer training for 70% posts (the others will be so specialist as to be uneconomical to train many others, who will be recruited on an as and when basis)

Time is not an issue either. I volunteer on a very irregular basis, with bits of Guard training when I'm on.

==EDIT==

Also, your photos are for your Safety Critical card. You'll need one for many roles including Guarding, Despatch and any role involving working on an open line.
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,933
Most 'mainline' competencies won't be directly transferrable onto a heritage line in any case, though the experience that comes with it will be - taking the GCR as an example, a Signalman from the mainline will still have to go through the same assessment process as anyone else, and the same training course in many cases (the only exception would normally be very recent Absolute Block experience, and even then they'd have to have a session on the differences between their Rule Book and ours) - obviously their experience would hopefully make it all a doddle of course. In summary, a lack of experience shouldn't stop you, though you obviously shouldn't expect to waltz straight into one of the 'main' operational grades without gaining that experience in other grades first! Likewise, a lack of time shouldn't stop you - some grades obviously require commitment in advance, but any volunteer time would be welcomed by most lines, I'd have thought.
 

Vulcan

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2009
Messages
712
Location
Seaton, Devon
Abbey Light Railway, Kirkstall, Leeds. Although since its a 300 mile journey to get there these days, its only occasional now sadly.
 

Bittern

Established Member
Joined
8 Apr 2009
Messages
1,919
Location
Scotland
I would love to volunteer at Bo'ness, but unfortunately due to other commitments, it's just not possible at the moment.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top