The proposed Croxley Rail link between the old LNWR Croxley Green branch from Watford Junction and the Watford branch of the LU Metropolitan Line has probably been discussed before. However, it seems to me that one of the show-stoppers is cost of a bridge needed over a relatively new dual-carriageway (Ascot Road). Also, I understand that Ascot Road cut the line (severing an embankment shortly before Croxley Green station) before the branch was formally closed - witness the fact that a bus replacement service was run until later formal closure.
Now I would have thought that if you build a new road (or widen one) that crosses a railway, then whoever is paying for the road should pay for the necessary railway bridge. And vice-versa. Or am I being too logical? While it may not have made sense to have built a new bridge when the line was little used and facing closure, a new bridge for the new link could now make sense. Surely the economics of the proposed rail link should be considered with the cost of a new bridge over Ascot Road left out of it - to be paid for by those responsible for building the road if the decision is positive.
Now I would have thought that if you build a new road (or widen one) that crosses a railway, then whoever is paying for the road should pay for the necessary railway bridge. And vice-versa. Or am I being too logical? While it may not have made sense to have built a new bridge when the line was little used and facing closure, a new bridge for the new link could now make sense. Surely the economics of the proposed rail link should be considered with the cost of a new bridge over Ascot Road left out of it - to be paid for by those responsible for building the road if the decision is positive.