• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who is your LEAST favourite TOC? - vote here!

Round 1 - Which is your least favourite TOC?


  • Total voters
    116
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2008
Messages
2,070
Location
UK
Which is your least favourite TOC? Please take a second to vote in the poll!

The next one that goes is between SWT and Heathrow Express.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai.

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2008
Messages
1,210
Location
Wales
VIRGIN - Because I once missed a connection because the board said the wrong train and when it comes down to helping you find the next connection they are completely useless!

NORTHERN - I used their trains a while back from Manchester Piccadily to Bolton, the trains were that bad, there was a hole in the bottom of the door and the customer services number had been scratched off the board.
 
Last edited:

robert2000

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2009
Messages
444
Location
Chester
WSMR, cus they got 97%, but they only have 8 trains a day to worry about so its easy, plus they dont accept tickets beyond wrexham to the north.
 

43021HST

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2008
Messages
1,565
Location
Taunton
XC because they use voyagers on the Manchester to Bournemouth services and there livery is crap.
 

TheWalrus

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2008
Messages
2,070
Location
UK
XC because they use voyagers on the Manchester to Bournemouth services and there livery is crap.

Poll is up now you can vote!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
WSMR, cus they got 97%, but they only have 8 trains a day to worry about so its easy, plus they dont accept tickets beyond wrexham to the north.

Put it in the poll mate!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Um.

wheres the poll? haha. and honestly my least favourite would be virgin.

ITS there now mate, just had to finish it lol :)
 

Daimler

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2009
Messages
1,197
Location
Hertfordshire
NXEC, for everything they've done - seemingly to try and spoil the country's flagship route.

Still, they'll be gone shortly!
 

monkey

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2009
Messages
431
Location
Leeds
...ah crap I voted wrong, thought it was favourites - so voted nxec (yeah I know thats an unpopular choice) - can I change my vote to tpe? cos the trains are so bad, I actually pay well over the odds to avoid them on long journeys...
 

krus_aragon

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2009
Messages
6,107
Location
North Wales
WSMR, cus they got 97%, but they only have 8 trains a day to worry about so its easy, plus they dont accept tickets beyond wrexham to the north.

Do they not? I know they don't *sell* tickets at their special prices for travel beyond Wrexham, but the Routeing Guide says that an Any Permitted ticket from anywhere on the NW Coast (routeing point Shotton) is valid on map WS, which mirrors WSMR's route exactly. I haven't tried travelling with them on such a through ticket, however: I used an advance for their train and an off-peak ticket for the rest of the way home.

As for a least favourite TOC, I can't really be that objective as I've only ever travelled with seven of those, and four were just for one or two journeys. Of the three I've been on often (Arriva Wales, Virgin, and Merseyrail) I have to choose Merseyrail. Why? Their electric commuter stock accelerates with a high-pitched whine that gets on my nerves (more so than VT's rheostatic brakes), the acceleration itself has been rather jolty on several journeys, and I don't like the spectre of penalty fares hanging over me.
 

Dai.

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2008
Messages
1,210
Location
Wales
...ah crap I voted wrong, thought it was favourites - so voted nxec (yeah I know thats an unpopular choice) - can I change my vote to tpe? cos the trains are so bad, I actually pay well over the odds to avoid them on long journeys...


Shame you didn't realise you could vote for two. then you could have done your least favourite and your favourite.
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,562
Location
Somewhere
I can't understand why people hate TOC's because of a livery, surely its service, comfort, professionalism and cleanliness etc etc that makes a TOC good or bad...not what colour is painted on the side of the train???
 

37401

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
3,276
Location
Birmingham
NXEC rating high, I wonder how many voted on the basis of "bring back GNER wah wah"
 

monkey

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2009
Messages
431
Location
Leeds
^^I voted by mistake, cos I though it was favourites lol! I would have chosen tpe though if I had read the thread title properly...
 

37401

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
3,276
Location
Birmingham
I vote London Midland/central its because of them I hear "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" in my sleep! :lol:
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
I've gone XC. I don't think it's entirely their doing, but the crowded Voyagers and unpleasant travel experience just makes it the one TOC that I try to avoid.
 

37401

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
3,276
Location
Birmingham
Probably because they don't like them.

:sarcasm: nah noone hates them because they have valentas, and we all know the engine is what makes a good TOC... :sarcasm:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've gone XC. I don't think it's entirely their doing, but the crowded Voyagers and unpleasant travel experience just makes it the one TOC that I try to avoid.

Blame VXC for that they started off the Vomit revoluton, but I totally agree with you on that one!
 

Dai.

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2008
Messages
1,210
Location
Wales
:sarcasm: nah noone hates them because they have valentas, and we all know the engine is what makes a good TOC... :sarcasm:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Blame VXC for that they started off the Vomit revoluton, but I totally agree with you on that one!


I've never used the voyagers, they must be bad, I always use the turbostars from cardiff and they are comfy and roomy!
 

37401

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
3,276
Location
Birmingham
I've never used the voyagers, they must be bad, I always use the turbostars from cardiff and they are comfy and roomy!

:lol: I hate the turbostars,they time it just right so when BHM is packed a 2 car arrives, and when its empty (0749) its a 3 car, wow whoever is in charge of allocation must have a masters degree in it!
 

Dai.

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2008
Messages
1,210
Location
Wales
:lol: I hate the turbostars,they time it just right so when BHM is packed a 2 car arrives, and when its empty (0749) its a 3 car, wow whoever is in charge of allocation must have a masters degree in it!

Haha, they were a while back tallying the people who used the train, if they are still using 2 cars in busy times then the tallying must have been useless! I once sure two, two 170's connected, i think. it was dark and very hard to see, would that be possible? having two 2 cars connected :s
 

Daimler

Member
Joined
5 Feb 2009
Messages
1,197
Location
Hertfordshire
NXEC rating high, I wonder how many voted on the basis of "bring back GNER wah wah"

Me for a start! :D Why not?

I enjoyed travelling on GNER far more. NXEC have spoiled much of what I enjoyed about travelling on that route - out of the whole list, NXEC is the company that has done the most to cause me upset. If NXEC had maintained GNER's standards, I certainly would not have voted against them.
 

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
Joined
2 Dec 2007
Messages
1,270
why would anyone want to put grand central down?


PLEASE come down to planet earth...:roll:

You had Work Ex with them and now you think they're the ''best thing since sliced bread.""

People have their reasons for disliking GC. Maybe they despise 180s, They don't run enough trains etc etc.....


Gawd! :roll:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

monkey

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2009
Messages
431
Location
Leeds
...the voyagers are not awful, (on long distance, that title goes to the class 185's) but they are worse than the fleet they replaced, they're cramped, lack capacity and have smelly vestibules due to the toilet outlet being near air con vent. I guess theres a pecking order, I use the voyagers to leeds cos they go direct and it means avoid using the 185's. but when given the choice between that and a hst like on newcastle to edinburgh, hst win by a long mile... simlarly on a short hop I'm happy to use the 185's instead of a northern pacer or sprinter...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top