• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who is starting work earliest on NY Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minilad

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
4,398
Location
Anywhere B link goes
Probably aimed more at Railway Staff but there may be others on here working on the 1st too.
So who has the earliest start on New Years Day. I will start it off with a beatable 06.42 start. The worst thing is though I am standby until the 0955 to Nuneaton so I could just be sitting around for 3 hours <(
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,794
Location
Somewhere, not in London
Not this year, but last year I was down for a 3:30am start on NYD, and I lived 28 miles from work, I resigned before that shift, (not because of it!). Year before I was on a night shift, so started work at 12:00:01am, was already there...
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
7pm NYE until 7am NYD.

Happy New Year <D. It's always good to know someone is worse off than yourself!

(I did nights over New Year in a previous lifetime often enough to sympathise! ;))
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Happy New Year <D. It's always good to know someone is worse off than yourself!

Doesn't apply to me. I'm on nights from 1700 NYE till 1600 NYD.
23.gif
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Not working NYD this year :D

Did start at 8am the other year when I was on placement and we had the VAT change from 15% to 17.5% - though I guess that looks tame really :P
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Ah, I was on the IT things sat in a head office building...the shop floor teams had started work even earlier making sure all the tills had updated then we had to mop up the problems - think it took us about 5-6 hours after which I was straight to the railway station to get a train back home to family :)
 

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,794
Location
Somewhere, not in London
It took me nearly too weeks, but we did some lines early, and some lines a bit later, but half the stuff I was changing the price on wasn't subject to VAT so it was just an excuse at WHST to put prices up really...
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
It took me nearly too weeks, but we did some lines early, and some lines a bit later, but half the stuff I was changing the price on wasn't subject to VAT so it was just an excuse at WHST to put prices up really...

Surely they can just put up a big notice in the shop advertising the fact that merchandise subject to VAT will have its price adjusted upwards at the till, or is that against the law?

Then it can be taken off in a few days' time when all the labels have been updated.
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
Surely they can just put up a big notice in the shop advertising the fact that merchandise subject to VAT will have its price adjusted upwards at the till, or is that against the law?

Then it can be taken off in a few days' time when all the labels have been updated.

That is what I recall they did at the big supermarkets by us at the time (last year too). The first, unexpected time was better as the VAT went down, but yeah, even the last couple, the supermarkets had to say the price would go up on some stuff. I think they did updates aisles at a time.

Obviously though, the computer systems where I was that year had to be updated straight away, however (as with any computer systems, really)
 

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,794
Location
Somewhere, not in London
Surely they can just put up a big notice in the shop advertising the fact that merchandise subject to VAT will have its price adjusted upwards at the till, or is that against the law?

Then it can be taken off in a few days' time when all the labels have been updated.

We didn't do that because Manchester Airport Group said we couldn't, forginers etc. So prices shown where usually higher than they should have been, a couple of supermarkets went down that line too.

Although Americans where confused frequently if connecting or on their first visit to the UK when we didn't add on 'sales tax'

Either way, do you expect joe public to know what is and isn't subject to VAT?
 

Hydro

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2007
Messages
2,204
Wo...rk? I've been off for nearly two weeks now, I'm not back at work until the 5th! Tomorrow will be a nice cushy lie in, thank you.
 

Zamracene749

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2005
Messages
919
Location
East Durham
18.30 NYE to 06.30 NYD.....

Can't beat bb21's 23 hour shift though- nor would I want to!

OT bb21, you must legally be allowed some sleep during that roster?
 

Nym

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2007
Messages
9,794
Location
Somewhere, not in London
Wasn't for one job, but when I was running two or three, during refits...

I started at 2pm at WHS, usually running to 10pm, I was there until 5:30am the next morning, got the first train back home, picked up my kit, back down through Piccadilly do Euston, across London to errr, Vauxhall, yeah, SWT Land for this shoot, shoot there from 11am until 4pm, AP tickets didn't leave London until back into Manchester at 8pm, down to Manc Airport for 9pm (no chance to go home to I'm carting all my kit into manc airport, looked like a sodding tourist with an airside pass) took handover for the night at 9:10, everyone went home, and thanks to delays I couldn't close the last unit until 2:50am, so all I had time to do was return the papers, put the new ones out and get cages ready to fill the urgent stock before the morning super showed up at 4am, by this point I'm knecking coffee like it's going out of fassion, and I don't get off home until 10am, thanks to the knock on delays (and liking money too much, was on a decent wage back then).

So other than one trip on a pendo reasonably comfy, and one crammed in, was basically on me feet for 44hrs.... You'd be surprised you can power nap standing up in the vestibule of a 390.
 
Last edited:

Lrd

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2010
Messages
3,018
I start at 0630 tomorrow, but only in for six hours and off the next day, so can have my New Years party a day late. :lol:
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
OT bb21, you must legally be allowed some sleep during that roster?

Yes, but only for six hours. 2000-0200 awake night then swap with the other guy and sleep 0200-0800. Doubt I'll sleep that much.

I love double-pay too much to not do it. Same with Christmas Eve.
 
Joined
28 Dec 2011
Messages
98
Location
Derby
Wo...rk? I've been off for nearly two weeks now, I'm not back at work until the 5th! Tomorrow will be a nice cushy lie in, thank you.

3rd for me but not complaining! Happy New Year all & hope all the rail workers are on quadruple time tomorrow!?:)
 

33056

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2007
Messages
2,424
Location
On a train somewhere in Europe
Actually off tomorrow which makes a change from crawling to work for 06:00 after being woken up by fireworks at midnight <(

Probably won't rush off to bed when I get home around 23:00 (fingers crossed!) so hope the fireworks don't go on too long, have heard some already round here...........
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Worked till 1930 tonight NYE - back on 0730 NYD.

Part-Time Security Job whilst being a mature student.

Crap pay but cushy or what ...12 hour "television marathon" awaits.:p

No Sky but Freeview so always something to watch24/7 inbetween reading newspapers books oh and the odd patrol.:oops:
 

Minilad

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
4,398
Location
Anywhere B link goes
Worked till 1930 tonight NYE - back on 0730 NYD.

Part-Time Security Job whilst being a mature student.

Crap pay but cushy or what ...12 hour "television marathon" awaits.:p

No Sky but Freeview so always something to watch24/7 inbetween reading newspapers books oh and the odd patrol.:oops:

Where are you supposed be guarding ? And is there anything valuable there ?
Sounds like easy pickings for someone !!
 

trickyvegas

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2009
Messages
362
Not a member off staff but if all goes to plan I'll be on the 0642 from Piccadilly to Stalybridge.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Where are you supposed be guarding ? And is there anything valuable there ?
Sounds like easy pickings for someone !!

A. Two "listed wrecks" or buildings on the site of a former distillery

B. No

C. Easy pickings for us whole site is fenced in we are there for H&S reasons on behalf of OR.

Wow they have spent more than "ten bob" on the London Fireworks - awesome :p
 

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2008
Messages
2,362
Location
Portsmouth
Just got home, last train was the 23:52 empties from Staines. Not back until until although it's back to earlies.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top