Drogba11CFC
Member
- Joined
- 15 Sep 2009
- Messages
- 941
Did David Owen call for the Falklanders to be sold down the river though? Did he support the IRA?
However, persuading someone who wasn't intending to use their vote, to use that vote in a particular way (especially when the motive for such a vote is an attempt at sabotage!) is NOT in the spirit of democracy, I argue.
Democracy includes the right to free expression and the right to vote for whoever one sees fit. Therefore this isn't undemocratic.
I'm a pretty liberal/moderate Tory, but I've persuaded my mum who has a vote due to her union at work to vote for Corbyn, both as an act of sabotage and because even Owen Smith is too far left for me, and therefore send a message that labour needs to regain the proper centre ground i.e. New Labour. She, like me, doesn't like either of them (she calls Corbyn "the idiot") and wasn't planning on voting, but I managed to persuade her.
In a hypothetical general election between a "Blairite" and a very right wing Tory I would definately vote Labour.
That seems illogical to me. To the extent that Corbyn makes it easier for the Conservatives to win, he also makes it easier for the Conservatives to move to the right and therefore away from the position you hold - because their activists will perceive that they can make the Conservatives more ideological/right-wing while being able to win.
Also the idea that a vote for Corbyn will send anyone a message that Labour needs to be more centrist seems unlikely to work. If anything, the more votes Corbyn get, the more Labour members/MPs are likely to believe that being very left wing is popular.
Bring back David Miliband from America.
My reasoning is that Corbyn wins again and hence leads Labour to an absolute electoral calamity in 2020/next general election. Then, Labour hopefully returns to the proper centre/centre left etc
Unfortunately, I fear it's more likely that he'll lead Labour to a calamity, at which point most of his supporters will believe that it was all because of media bias (which, to be fair, will be part of the reason) but that Corbyn's massive support amongst members and supporters - as proven by how many votes he got in the leadership election - proves he's still on the right path and needs to carry on. Further, the electoral calamity will remove many MPs - most of whom are more moderate - thereby further weakening the moderate voices within Labour.
To my mind, ultimately, if you want moderate voices to ultimately prevail, then you need to vote for the most moderate voices currently available. Trying to - in effect - manipulate the future by voting for and thereby giving influence to people you don't want - is a very risky game - with a high risk that the ultimate long term result will quite simply be more power/influence to the very people you've voted for...
I have cast my vote in the leadership election via the on line portal. Very quick and very easy.
At least Owen Smith has one vote!
What a choice you labour supporters have - Corbyn or Smith can't remember a time when the labour party was so utterly rubbish, it has nobody whatsoever who even remotely looks like a leader.
Today Corbyn has been caught lying yet again as he claimed to have been sent a message of support from Bernie Sanders who today has denied sending any message whatsoever.
Soon people will be saying "I used to vote labour - remember them".
They already are - in Scotland![]()
Even though he's been elected as the MP in his constituency in every General Election since he first stood in 1983.none of that will ever happen because Corbyn simply isn't electable.
Touché.
Labour are a dying force south of the border too. Eject eject eject!
Time for a new centre-left party of social democracy.
Even though he's been elected as the MP in his constituency in every General Election since he first stood in 1983.
Even though he's been elected as the MP in his constituency in every General Election since he first stood in 1983.
That may well be the case, but a man who has been elected eight times is obviously not unelectable.It's a safe Labour seat. A hamster could win Islington North if it had a red rosette on.
Even though he's been elected as the MP in his constituency in every General Election since he first stood in 1983.
That may well be the case, but a man who has been elected eight times is obviously not unelectable.
That may well be the case, but a man who has been elected eight times is obviously not unelectable.
That may well be the case, but a man who has been elected eight times is obviously not unelectable.
I admire Corbyn for many of his principles, but even as a committed republican I really would prefer him not to be PM.
Being a convinced republican (which I am) doesn't mean that one would want the old-fashioned sort of East European socialist régime that Corbyn and Milne want to offer (complete, no doubt, with all its special privileges for the governing class).
Time for a new centre-left party of social democracy.
I vote Labour, but am not a party member, and don't agree with all of their policies. In some respects, I am to the left, but I think that Labour is sometimes "too soft" on criminals & scroungers, etc.
However, I am also a realist, and it seems clear that a strongly left wing Labour party will never again get enough votes to win a general election. Like him - or hate him - it needs a Blair-like moderate left of centre leader to stand a chance of winning a general election.
So, it doesn't matter if either Mr Corbyn or Mr Smith wins - I regret that both have the proverbial "not a cat in hell's chance" of becoming PM. Who could win ? No idea, but to stand a chance, we need a "Neil Kinnock successor" to break the power of Militant Mark 2 & their ilk. I fear that we will get tory-dominated governments for many years to come, unless they make major mistakes such as wreckng NHS.
I'm still undecided, but I agree that Smith is too similar to Corbyn for there to be much point in this contest. I'm probably leaning towards voting Smith because I think he may be able to unite the party (and he isn't tainted by Momentum who are undemocratic and self-serving). Corbyn has only paid lip-service to the centrists that dominate the PLP, and seems to somehow make sure that every rally is essentially a back-slapping echo-chamber where any dissenting voices are out-shouted. My natural tendency towards the underdog also pushes me towards Smith (who I believe would be more pragmatic than Corbyn, and may yet have more than just Welsh-ness in common with Neil Kinnock, who let's remember very nearly won the General Election in 1992).
Though I wouldn't describe Blair as "left-of-centre"!
I agree with this post quite a bit - including that last sentiment. Kenneth Clarke is further to the left than him!
I agree with this post quite a bit - including that last sentiment. Kenneth Clarke is further to the left than him!
Even Malcolm Rifkind or John Gummer, two Tories who voted against the invasion of Iraq, could be said to be to the left of Blair. Labour needs to jettison both Corbyn and the remaining camp-followers of Blair in order to appeal to sections of the populace who failed to vote for the party in the General Election last year. It's not an impossible ask, just a highly improbable one, unfortunately.
don't be silly - Blair is/was a centre left/social democratic politician. Look at the achievements of his government. I wouldn't call things like a nation minimum wage or sure start or introduction of paid paternity leave or the Human Rights Act as Tory policies - but then that doesn't fit with the rhetoric does it?
We need more centre ground policies not less!
I think it should be fairly obvious that the claim that he is unelectable is referring to winning a general election, not to being elected MP in his own constituency. It's not at all uncommon for politicians who are nationally very unpopular - and therefore arguably unelectable - to nevertheless be relatively popular amongst their own constituents. Look at how Ed Milliband significantly increased his vote share in Doncaster North last year, while simultaneously losing badly in the country.