• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Whither the Settle Carlisle Day Ranger ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,761
There are tickets of that type, such as the Cumbria Day Ranger, as well as Round Robin tickets which cover the S&C.
 

skifans

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2016
Messages
249
Location
Leeds
You can buy a rover ticket for £9 with a Dales railcard in the winter (until march the 23rd). If you have a dales railcard which costs £10 if your local or £21 if not per year. Also allows you to get a similar £7 rover ticket for the bentham line. Some peak dates are excluded but most were in the run upto Christmas. February half term is also excluded. Link: https://www.settle-carlisle.co.uk/winter-travel-offers-announced/

There's also this rover on the route for £30 (20 with national railcard). http://www.railrover.org/pages/settle-and-carlisle-day-ranger.html probably easier as well if your not a regular in the area then applying for membership and then getting a railcard. Available all year as well.
 

crehld

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2014
Messages
1,994
Location
Norfolk
As far as I know the Settle-Carlisle rover still exists, but the price was increased after the line reopened last year (BRFares shows it as £31). The Northern website seems to be missing several other available rangers and rovers so I wouldn't rely on their website as a definitive source of information. The previous franchise was very active in marketing ranger and rover products - the current franchise seems less so...
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,375
Location
Yorks
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I already have the Dales Railcard (and will be making use of it) however some friends will be accompanying me and I wanted to see if there were any offers for them.

£31 is very steep, and as we won't be doing the whole route, a day return looks like better value for them.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,375
Location
Yorks
As far as I know the Settle-Carlisle rover still exists, but the price was increased after the line reopened last year (BRFares shows it as £31). The Northern website seems to be missing several other available rangers and rovers so I wouldn't rely on their website as a definitive source of information. The previous franchise was very active in marketing ranger and rover products - the current franchise seems less so...

Yes, I had to search quite hard to find the Rovers and Rangers webpage. New Northern don't seem to be very willing to promote such products. A poor effort really.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the seeming disappearance of the winter offer for non-concessionary metro-card holders.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top