• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which Stuffed and Loco would you like to see return to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trains2064

Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
188
I passed Kiddermister Station today and noticed on the Severn Valley the midland compound 1000 being pulled in by one of the 08's.

It got me thinking about which engine in a museum state I would like to see return and although 1000 would look lovely on the front of the valleys LMS rake.

My loco would be 2516. It would superb on the valleys droplights.

:D
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PinzaC55

Member
Joined
6 Sep 2010
Messages
548
Obviously MALLARD. Arguably the most famous steam locomotive in the world.
When you think of the money they would make from running it , it makes your eyes water.
 

Spam Can

Member
Joined
1 Apr 2011
Messages
68
Location
morecambe bay
Green Arrow & Evening Star. If anyone saw these 2 over S&C in the 80's then you know what I mean!
Oh and Glen Douglas!
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,577
Location
Macclesfield
The APT, har har har har...

Blue Peter, the three NRM residents mentioned, the steam loco stranded at Bham Moor Street.

89001!
2885 is looking rather forlorn, parked quietly by the buffer stops at Moor Street. I’d like to see some life breathed back into it (I understand that a strip down and restoration would be required to allow this to happen)

Largely repeating what others have already said:
Mallard
Duchess of Hamilton
Green Arrow
Stirling Single No 1
APT-P (Seriously, that would be awesome)
The class 81 or 85.

I'm surprised to hear of 1000 making it down to Kidderminster. I wonder what reason there was for drawing it out of the museum at Highley.
 

Wyvern

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2009
Messages
1,573
Number 1000 among the copper banders? Whatever next?

I assumed that it was at the Midland Railway Centre :o :o
 
Last edited:

LE Greys

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
5,389
Location
Hitchin
This comes up quite a few times, and I always say C1 Atlantic 251 and C2 Atlantic 990 Henry Oakley. Probably Lode Star as well. It's a pity we don't see more Edwardian locos running, especially if they could run with matching coaches.
 

Bedpan

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
1,299
Location
Harpenden
I know its off topic a bit as its not a loco (but then neither is the APT) but I'd love to see the preserved 2-BIL unit back in use.
 

Bon Accord

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2011
Messages
111
Location
61B
I'm surprised to hear of 1000 making it down to Kidderminster. I wonder what reason there was for drawing it out of the museum at Highley.

It's being prepared for road transport to the SRPS museum at Bo'ness (in exchange for the SRPS loaning 'Maude' to the NRM).
 

craig87034

Member
Joined
21 Oct 2009
Messages
587
Preserved museum exhibits i like to see back

27005
40118
D1023
81002
82008
83012
84001
85006
87035
89001

Demic loco's i'd like to see back
26002
26025
27007
27059
D7029
D1048
 
Last edited:

The Decapod

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2010
Messages
236
Location
Everywhere
The prototype Deltic
That occurred to me, but then to the lineside observer the prototype Deltic would sound and behave exactly like a production one, so there wouldn't be much point.
It was only in service for about 6 years, and it's been a spectacular static exhibit for 50 years.

A more interesting candidate for de-stuffing would be the GWR / Brown Boveri gas turbine loco. That would provide the lineside bystander with the chance to see and hear something unique on our railways. The task wouldn't be easy, though, as the loco suffered many technical problems during its working life and I believe most of the internals were removed years ago anyway.
 

Bon Accord

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2011
Messages
111
Location
61B
Don't the prototype Deltic and 'Kerosene Castle' have most/all of their mechanical and electrical innards ripped out, leaving only the bodyshell?
 

Crapper

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2011
Messages
39
DELTIC is essentially complete. There was an internal survey undertaken some years ago which revealed that the only major items missing were the power unit crankshafts. As there are spares available, its not impossible that it could be made to work again however it wouldn't be cheap or particularly simple to do.

Personally I believe it is as important in the story of the railways transition from steam ti diesel as any other loc. Would love to see it working again.
 

LE Greys

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
5,389
Location
Hitchin
DELTIC is essentially complete. There was an internal survey undertaken some years ago which revealed that the only major items missing were the power unit crankshafts. As there are spares available, its not impossible that it could be made to work again however it wouldn't be cheap or particularly simple to do.

Personally I believe it is as important in the story of the railways transition from steam ti diesel as any other loc. Would love to see it working again.

Isn't one of the engines sitting beside it with a big hole cut out of the crankcase so that people can see the insides?

And I'd love to see it in operation one day as well.
 

bladesman123

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2009
Messages
89
Location
Sheffield
I have always said DELTIC should be up and running again, if it were though would it have to have its ends painted yellow? as that would spoil it.
 

Bon Accord

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2011
Messages
111
Location
61B
Not sure, as I seem to recall that yellow ends aren't actually a requirement in certain cases.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
Not sure, as I seem to recall that yellow ends aren't actually a requirement in certain cases.

If the train is equipped with modern high powered headlights then as I recall the yellow front can be dispensed with.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top