• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which locomotive and multiple unit classes have you cleared for haulage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

QJ

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2009
Messages
438
Location
Basingstoke Down Yard
Between the mid 1970s and the summer of 1988 I managed haulage behind all of the locos that made up BR classes

33/1, 37/4, 46, 50, 57/6, 73/0, 87/0, 87/1, 89

plus a high percentage of the other locos post TOPS renumbering. If it hadn't been for my interest being track bashing rather than haulage scooping the list would have been a lot higher. I managed 440+ class 47s without trying.

Units cleared for riding in include 430, 442, 491 (yes, I know they were unpowered).

More recently I have cleared all the 159s for rideage. Unfortunately I am likely to have all the Voyagers for rideage in the near future. I am two short with the 444s too.

Incidentally I still require 4 class 86s to clear and in theory I believe they are still in use by Freightliner. If I hadn't regarded them as electric duffs to be avoided if a roarer was available I would have cleared them easily.

I would have a lot more haulages recorded at home and abroad if I hadn't lost my notes for 1988 onward in a house move. The missus chucked them in the bin thinking I no longer had a use for them.

To me the present day class 43 are merely class 253 power cars so don't count as locos.
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
Let's have a think...

Diesel Locos: 03, 08, 20, 31, 37, 43, 47, 57, 67
Electric Locos: 91
DMUs : 101, 108, 110, 117, 142, 144, 150, 153, 156, 158, 170, 180, 185, 220, 221
EMUs: 321, 333, 380

Think that't the lot :)

You've had every single class 08 for haulage? Bit of a fudger there I think. :roll:
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
I've not managed to clear much for haulage. Only Class 139, 159 and 220 have been cleared completely.
 

NIMBUS

Member
Joined
13 May 2011
Messages
176
It's surprising how difficult it is to get that last loco or unit. There are several classes that I required an odd one of at withdrawal - or, in some cases, still do (e.g. 357 039), for haulage. I've cleared lots of DMU and EMU sub-classes but I'm not counting sub-classes.

Locos: classes 43, 50, 87, 90 and 91

DMUs: classes 151, original 159s (now 159/0), 165, 166, 168

EMUs: classes 313, 315, 317, 319, 360, 365, 442, 455, 456, 458, 460, 465, 466

IE: class 071

There are also some that I'm pretty sure that I cleared but don't have stock books back that far, to confirm (e.g. the 506s).
 

33056

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2007
Messages
2,424
Location
On a train somewhere in Europe
It's surprising how difficult it is to get that last loco or unit. There are several classes that I required an odd one of at withdrawal - or, in some cases, still do (e.g. 357 039), for haulage. I've cleared lots of DMU and EMU sub-classes but I'm not counting sub-classes.
Tell me about it! Took ages for me to get my last 91 (127) which was usually seen when I couldn't do it due to being on a charter or similar.

German 101s were also a pain, especially as my last one was supposedly restricted to certain workings which should have made it easy to get; it just never seemed to be out when I was visiting. Likewise DB 181s, only 25 of them in the production series so should be relatively easy to get.....not :roll: Lost count of the number of times we haunted the Trier / Luxembourg line before it finally put in an appearance.

As it turned out, the easiest class to clear was the Austrian 2095s, only 15 but VERY hard to get being scattered across the country over four narrow gauge systems. The last one was scored by the simple method of viewing the local shed the night before, getting chatting to the supervisor and asking him to put the desired loco out on the only diagram the following morning - he did, top man (One of my late father's favourite sayings "If you don't ask, you don't get" 8-))
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
As it turned out, the easiest class to clear was the Austrian 2095s, only 15 but VERY hard to get being scattered across the country over four narrow gauge systems. The last one was scored by the simple method of viewing the local shed the night before, getting chatting to the supervisor and asking him to put the desired loco out on the only diagram the following morning - he did, top man (One of my late father's favourite sayings "If you don't ask, you don't get" 8-))

I managed something very similar in Paris a couple of years ago; needing only one Z6100 to clear those that remained I wrote a very polite letter, translated into French for me by a French person at work, asking if the unit could be diagrammed for the off peak of the day in question and posted it to the depot manager of La Chapelle about two weeks before my day trip over.

It not only duly appeared off peak but was also at the Paris end of a rake of three units and I didn't have to hang around for ages for it either.

Needless to say, I followed this up by posting a brief letter a couple of days after my trip which said simply: "Re: Z61xx - Merci beaucoup, monsieur."
 

MK Tom

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2011
Messages
2,458
Location
Milton Keynes
Is there a version of this thread for people like me who are just into travelling on classes at all and not the entire membership of those classes?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top