LancasterRed
Member
- Joined
- 21 May 2018
- Messages
- 335
Lancaster is always up to date. Preston is usually good but the bus stops tend to display incorrect services.
Cheshire West were like this too a few years ago, not sure if they still are. For example Liverpool Road, Neston had timetables displayed for the first 4 stops Liverpool bound, however had a note saying times displayed are from Neston,Brook Street which is 5 stops previous. The stops further up from this just had a phone number to ring. I think they may have changed this now though!Last Sunday, passing a bus stop opposite the Waggon and Horses pub at Walsden, West Yorks, and hoping to find the time of the next bus, I was disappointed to find that the poster in the bus shelter only had a phone number to ring for information (no use to me, since I don't have a mobile phone) and no proper departure times. Here in Merseyside I'm used to finding such information displayed, though at times during the pandemic it has not always been up to date. Which local authorities and bus companies do and don't provide such details at bus stops?
I live in both Leeds and Newcastle (not at the exact same time) and it's great to have Transdev and Go North East who put a lot of work into promoting their services (more so Transdev). Then you have a company like First who; while the quality of their buses has improved significantly over the past few years it still seems that they don't go out of their way to promote their routes. I get a feeling that there's always been the thought of 'people have to use our buses, they don't have another choice if they don't drive. We will always have passengers' rather 'we actively want more people to use our buses and get out of their cars'.It always amazes me that Operators don’t take responsibility for promoting their commercial bus operations, it’s their revenue after all.
Mind you in north Wales we are lumbered with Arriva....
Imagine turning up at a McDonalds drive thru to find no opening hours, or menu displayed prior to the ordering point.
Agree with the points made here. I find First really quite bland and generic, and similarly, I get the impression that they're just here to shuttle people from A to B without doing a particularly nice job about it. Transdev, however, I agree are very good and their high-quality services do really encourage you to use the bus.I live in both Leeds and Newcastle (not at the exact same time) and it's great to have Transdev and Go North East who put a lot of work into promoting their services (more so Transdev). Then you have a company like First who; while the quality of their buses has improved significantly over the past few years it still seems that they don't go out of their way to promote their routes. I get a feeling that there's always been the thought of 'people have to use our buses, they don't have another choice if they don't drive. We will always have passengers' rather 'we actively want more people to use our buses and get out of their cars'.
I mean who would really want to get on a dirty smelly B9 Gemini if they had the option of a car? Whereas I wouldn't consider driving if I lived on the 36 route or Aireline (which I do) for example.
Hmmmm. My local bus stop (not exactly an outpost either) is currently displaying a timetable dated 2017. There have been numerous changes since then. No electronic screen either.The Intalink partnership provides pretty widespread info about services at all the bus stops that I've seen in Hertfordshire. In towns, some of the bus shelters have screens that show buses due there. Not all services provide real time GPS tracking as the routes of smaller operators tend to show their fixed timetable events, even if the actual bus is running late.
So it's tough on those that can't use smartphones. Mmm, so much for the caring society. May you never have anybody in your acquaintance so inconveniently stricken.Im of the belief that we don't need timetables at stops anymore. Technology has taken its place. People who chose not to move with the times and not have a smartphone have done this to themselves. It's a fact of life you have to change the way you do things, it's nothing new and has been happening since the dawn of time.
Cater for the many not the few.
So it's tough on those that can't use smartphones. Mmm, so much for the caring society. May you never have anybody in your acquaintance so inconveniently stricken.
I am not clear about the utility of a smart phone in a place with no signal.They put themselves in a position of not being able to use use them. Nobody was born with the natural ability to use one. My in-laws in their late 80's made an effort to learn them and now help their friends. Providing there isn't a disability, the reason people can't use a smartphone is due to them being resistant to change.
Unfortunately we are in a society that people don't take responsibility for their actions (or lack of).
I take it your in-laws don't suffer from failing eyesight or arthritic fingers?They put themselves in a position of not being able to use use them. Nobody was born with the natural ability to use one. My in-laws in their late 80's made an effort to learn them and now help their friends. Providing there isn't a disability, the reason people can't use a smartphone is due to them being resistant to change.
Unfortunately we are in a society that people don't take responsibility for their actions (or lack of).
I'm young and use my smartphone for literally everything, I don't carry cash and use my phone to pay for everything etc.They put themselves in a position of not being able to use use them. Nobody was born with the natural ability to use one. My in-laws in their late 80's made an effort to learn them and now help their friends. Providing there isn't a disability, the reason people can't use a smartphone is due to them being resistant to change.
Unfortunately we are in a society that people don't take responsibility for their actions (or lack of).
The transport app I use works offline.I am not clear about the utility of a smart phone in a place with no signal.
They don't have great eyesight. However they have changed the settings on the phone to suit. Another relative of my partner is blind and uses a smartphone. This did surprise me.I take it your in-laws don't suffer from failing eyesight or arthritic fingers?
However I disagree that bus stop posters should be discontinued to be replaced by phones. Issue being where I live a number of the bus operators still don't track live times
This is true, but for the smaller operators which don't show live times and don't produce timetables online that show stops other than timing points in each village, the piece of paper showing a specific time for that stop is quite useful.The transport app I use works offline.
They don't have great eyesight. However they have changed the settings on the phone to suit. Another relative of my partner is blind and uses a smartphone. This did surprise me.
The piece of paper they replace don't have this either...
but until there's a proper reliable roll out of online information in one place with accurate live times for every operator, the paper should stay
How about catering for the passengers you want to catch your buses?Im of the belief that we don't need timetables at stops anymore. Technology has taken its place. People who chose not to move with the times and not have a smartphone have done this to themselves. It's a fact of life you have to change the way you do things, it's nothing new and has been happening since the dawn of time.
Cater for the many not the few.
We certainly do need them. They are the "shop window" of bus servicesIm of the belief that we don't need timetables at stops anymore. Technology has taken its place. People who chose not to move with the times and not have a smartphone have done this to themselves. It's a fact of life you have to change the way you do things, it's nothing new and has been happening since the dawn of time.
Cater for the many not the few.
We certainly do need them. They are the "shop window" of bus services
But it's not as easy to advertise where it goes and when as at a bus stop.I post in the middle of the pavement? Surely not? The bus itself is a bigger advertisement.
That’s why you can use a Smartphone.But it's not as easy to advertise where it goes and when as at a bus stop.
It's all me, me, me on here! Buses have to cater for those far less able or those in hardship. Think about them for a change.That’s why you can use a Smartphone.
I'm not sure how that helps the bus company advertise its services.That’s why you can use a Smartphone.
That is a discussion that I have had in other fields. If you want to promote any product or service you need to put it in front of the customers.I'm not sure how that helps the bus company advertise its services.
It's great if someone's already looking for them.
A lot of the bus stops I've seen in North Somerset still have the Covid-19 Emergency Timetable notices, usually with no actual up-to-date timetable whatsoever.
The councils of Bath and Bristol and South Glos do put up roadside publicity. However, don't know if North Somerset are quite as good.
Somerset is left to operators though I think some district councils (like Mendip) do provide limited roadside info in towns. Wiltshire is mainly operator led IIRC
Arriva routes 10 and 10A from Macclesfield to Bollington are clearly shown on Arriva's website, with maps, albeit in separate files, and there is a link to them from Cheshire East Council's website. All bus services in Macclesfield originate at the bus station and buses to it call opposite the railway station, but not generally on the outward journeys (High Peak routes 58 and 60 excepted). Reasonably up-to-date bus timetable information is displayed by Cheshire East Council at Macclesfield bus station, and at key stops such as on Victoria Road close to the hospital.Cheshire East deterring public transport use!
Last week I arranged to meet some pals at Macclesfield Rail Station to walk the Middlewood Way to Marple. Various train delays led to meeting 90 minutes late. To make up time we decided to catch the bus to Bollington to save time.
There is a prominent bus shelter opposite Macclesfield station promoting Arriva buses to Bollington every 30 minutes on the timetable display. It then occurred to me that the timings may have changed due to Covid so I walked up to the Tourist Information Centre, remarkably they do not have any information on bus timetables and advised me to go to the library.
The Covid dragon on reception advised me they don’t have bus timetables, I indicated that the TIC staff told me that the library did, she checked with a colleague and then pointed to the timetable carousel ten feet away from where she was sitting!
The timetable was indeed completely different from the one at the Rail Station, but the library copy didn’t have a route map, I was then advised to go back to the TIC as they hap maps!
I didn’t trust the information I was given so walked to the bus station instead, which is just as well as the Bollington buses no longer operate via the rail station.
I suppose I could have consulted the Arriva website, but that as we all know is totally incomprehensible!
Ended up a good day out, a couple of beers enroute and even the Northern train home from Marple turned up and on time!