• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which European country has the least overcrowding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
From my personal experience it's the Republic of Ireland that has the least overcrowded trains and France and Spain that have the most overcrowded trains outside of the UK, but as I haven't used either of those two country's systems on a regular basis I can't really compare them to the UK.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
Seeing as many Irish residents live nowhere near a railway station and have never taken a train in their lives, I can't say I'm surprised.
Although I have seen *very* long queues for trains at Heuston station in Dublin.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Seeing as many Irish residents live nowhere near a railway station and have never taken a train in their lives, I can't say I'm surprised.
Although I have seen *very* long queues for trains at Heuston station in Dublin.

There's usually a very long queue at one particular Dublin station on every Good Friday, but they're not catching a train...!

The only times I've ever been on an irish train they seemed well loaded for part of the route. One from Cork was pretty empty until Limerick Junction, when it became very busy. Strangely, that day many people only went a stop or two, maybe something was on locally!
 

33056

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2007
Messages
2,424
Location
On a train somewhere in Europe
Can honestly say that I don't think that I have ever had to stand up on a train in Switzerland - peak hours in the Zurich area can get a bit comfy at times though.
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
I have - though it was a very busy 14 coach ICE1 coming through from Berlin that happened to hit Bern's rush hour (though I got on further down)
 

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2006
Messages
6,727
Location
Milton Keynes
ICEs can get pretty packed on friday & sunday evenings due to conscripts going home for the weekend. I've been on an doubled up ICE3 between Frankfurt & Cologne which appeared to have 200% loading
 

j0hn0

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2009
Messages
563
Location
St Albans, England
ICEs can get pretty packed on friday & sunday evenings due to conscripts going home for the weekend. I've been on an doubled up ICE3 between Frankfurt & Cologne which appeared to have 200% loading

aint that the truth. I don't travel too much in rush hour on the trains, but when i do at weekends on the ICE, regardless of whether the train is full and all seats are sold, they still sell tickets for them. Really not a nice experience with everyone irate who hasnt got a seat

The most overcrowded? Has to be Holland right?

I used to live in Haarlem, there is a train every 7 minutes to Amsterdam and each train is a double decker.

From 7am until 10am, the WHOLE platform fills up for EVERY TRAIN. The DDMs have standing room only, every single time I used it.

So just think, a completely full double decker train, every 7 minutes. It's like the whole of Haarlem works in Amsterdam :D

Saying Ireland is the least crowded network is like saying the cambrian coast line is not full to capacity.

:)
 

Nigel Gresley

Member
Joined
3 Jan 2009
Messages
54
Can honestly say that I don't think that I have ever had to stand up on a train in Switzerland - peak hours in the Zurich area can get a bit comfy at times though.

In Switzerland there are certainly some rush hour trains which are standing room only, but it is unusual over a long distance. As the passenger numbers are steadily increasing, the limited seating capacity is the problem that the SBB are most concerned about. That is why they have just placed an order for 59 double decker tilting trains.

You can tell which trains are usually crowded by looking at their online timetable.

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en?&from=Aarau&to=Zurich&time=07:30
 

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2009
Messages
2,245
Location
Umeå, Sweden
Until a few years ago I would have said Northern Ireland (if we skim over the obvious political implications of treating NI as a country). Year after year of funding cuts and disruption due to breakdowns and terror threats, passenger numbers per mile had dropped through the floor. No-one really wanted to use the train and those who did could generally get there faster by bus.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top