• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which 58s would you like to see preserved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

56006

Member
Joined
28 Jul 2009
Messages
17
With the news that 58016 has been preserved and due to move to Barrow Hill shortly, and 58045 being used as spares.. and now that 58014 has now been scrapped RIP, I was wondering which 58s you would like to be preserved ?

Mine would be 58017, due to sentimental value of being the first 58 I ever saw, but it's unlikely with the state it's in... And 58001, for being the first built ofcourse :D
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
30 Jun 2009
Messages
1,133
Location
Nottinghamshire
58001 because its one of only 2 of the class I never saw running, and 58050 'Toton Traction Depot' because Toton was the depot my dad used to take me to as a kid.

Plus I had both of them in Hornby OO Gauge, sadly I sold them many years ago, but still keep looking on E-Bay to replace them!
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,573
Location
Macclesfield
And also a photo of it on wnxx.com. You could see it from trains on the Derby-Birmingham (as is the case with much of the stock that goes to Kingsbury) for a while.

I'd like to see 58030 preserved: I had the Hornby model, so have since considered it to be "my" loco! Also 58001 for it being the first and also due to it's recent stint in original large logo Railfreight livery before heading to Europe, and 58050, which is said to be going the way of the national collection eventually.
 

Dreadnought

Member
Joined
1 Oct 2007
Messages
586
58037, dunno why, just like it :)

Probably because it was my last one for sight :lol:

Another one that is unlikely to be preserved though as I believe it has no bogies and is stacked on top of a pile of sleepers at Eastleigh.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing 58036 saved as it was the last 58 I saw moving under its own power in the UK (well to date anyway).

And to think it was only August last year as well when I saw it moving at Eastleigh depot just before being exported to France :D
 

GearJammer

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
897
Location
On the Southern
Question is......... How many 58's do we NEED preserving? We got 58016, 58050 will be going the national collection and theres just something telling me that 58001 will be preserved..... do we need any more than that?

I s'pose if i really had to pick one it would have to be either 58020 (the first one i seen) or 58017 (but then only because it was called 'Eastleigh Depot' and i like locos that are named after depots and Eastliegh being my local depot)
 

EWS 58038

Member
Joined
7 Apr 2008
Messages
356
Location
Almere (Greater Amsterdam)
I would preserve the locomotive which is in best condition, regardless of it's history, and could be restored into operation asap. You don't want to buy a rotting thing just becouse it's the firs of it's type, or carries a special name. What you want to do with your money is to get the best one available and start using it to generafe income. Then you buy a second one and scrap it for parts. Yes, it is hard... But times have changed.
 

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
1,975
I would preserve the locomotive which is in best condition, regardless of it's history, and could be restored into operation asap. You don't want to buy a rotting thing just becouse it's the firs of it's type, or carries a special name. What you want to do with your money is to get the best one available and start using it to generafe income. Then you buy a second one and scrap it for parts. Yes, it is hard... But times have changed.

this man speaks sense!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top