• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wherry Line Ranger - how to buy one

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigB

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2018
Messages
343
Location
Scotland
Looking for a little guidance please..
I'm travelling from Chelmsford to Lowestoft on Saturday 8th, and already have advance tickets for outward and return, and wanted to use a Wherry Line Ranger when there. A major issue is that I only have 6 minutes at Lowestoft before the train I want to catch to Norwich, which is not enough to buy a rover ticket and catch the train.
I've tried GA's site but can't see how to buy one in advance which would remove the timing issue, which leads me to ask can I buy one from the guard on the service from Ipswich, or even from a GA TVM in advance?

Is it something that can be bought on the app??

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
Chelmsford ticket office or the guard on the train should be able to sell it.
 

BigB

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2018
Messages
343
Location
Scotland
Thanks everyone, I was concerned that either it had gone or I was losing the plot with the website, which under the "How to buy" section just gave validity....
I'll get it when I arrive at Chelmsford on Thursday and get ready for a dash at Lowestoft!
 

Sleepy

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2009
Messages
1,836
Location
East Anglia
Thanks everyone, I was concerned that either it had gone or I was losing the plot with the website, which under the "How to buy" section just gave validity....
I'll get it when I arrive at Chelmsford on Thursday and get ready for a dash at Lowestoft!
Don't worry about a dash at Lowestoft - it's only 2 minutes to transfer between trains (and some services from East Suffolk line work on to Norwich) If you sit in the front coach from Ipswich it will save time walking round at Lowestoft too.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,306
Be right in saying that a 'Wherry Line Ranger' costs £12 and allows travel between Norwich, Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft (and intermediate stations).

Haven't yet explored that corner of the GB network. Where's actually worth visiting?
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
Be right in saying that a 'Wherry Line Ranger' costs £12 and allows travel between Norwich, Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft (and intermediate stations).

Haven't yet explored that corner of the GB network. Where's actually worth visiting?
better off going to Sheringham IMHO.
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
Quite possibly, but that'd be off route for a 'Wherry Line Ranger', wouldn't it?
Yes but the Bittern Line Ranger is much more interesting and pleasant IMHO. The Wherry Line ranger could be accurately described as 50 % caravan parks and industrial estates .
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,306
Yes but the Bittern Line Ranger is much more interesting and pleasant IMHO.
So, that's the one between Norwich, Cromer and Sheringham. And also costs £12?

The Wherry Line ranger could be accurately described as 50 % caravan parks and industrial estates .
Every day's a school day on here! Thanks for the info.

You should maybe consider getting a role with the East of England Tourist Board, telling it how it really is! ;)
 

bspahh

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2017
Messages
2,444
Be right in saying that a 'Wherry Line Ranger' costs £12 and allows travel between Norwich, Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft (and intermediate stations).

Haven't yet explored that corner of the GB network. Where's actually worth visiting?
There is a nice walk from Berney Arms to Great Yarmouth, which takes you past Great Yarmouth carriage sidings

1676723256997-png.129245

This is a Geoff Marshall about the walk from Berney Arms

 

ac6000cw

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2014
Messages
3,917
Location
Cambridge, UK
Yes but the Bittern Line Ranger is much more interesting and pleasant IMHO. The Wherry Line ranger could be accurately described as 50 % caravan parks and industrial estates .
I agree the Norwich - Sheringham line is overall more interesting and varied (and has the North Norfolk Railway as a bonus at Sheringham - literally across the road from the NR station).

Re. the Wherry lines - while personally I'd skip Gt. Yarmouth, I think Lowestoft is worth a visit (turn right outside the station and the beach & promenade are a short walk away, over the lift bridge across the harbour entrance). Also the route from Norwich is more scenic, including swing bridges at Reedham and Somerleyton.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,306
Re. the Wherry lines - while personally I'd skip Gt. Yarmouth, I think Lowestoft is worth a visit (turn right outside the station and the beach & promenade are a short walk away, over the lift bridge across the harbour entrance). Also the route from Norwich is more scenic, including swing bridges at Reedham and Somerleyton.
Presume an off peak day return from Norwich to/from Lowestoft is marginally cheaper than the Wherry Line day ranger, if Norwich/Lowestoft is all you're planning on doing.
 

BigB

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2018
Messages
343
Location
Scotland
Presume an off peak day return from Norwich to/from Lowestoft is marginally cheaper than the Wherry Line day ranger, if Norwich/Lowestoft is all you're planning on doing.
As my intent was to do all the Norwich/Great Yarmouth/Lowestoft lines, the Ranger is ideal.
Going to Great Yarmouth is more of a necessity but Lowestoft may get a longer visit as I have flexibility on my return times.
Thanks for all the replies.
 

David Goddard

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
1,515
Location
Ely
Virtually all rangers and rovers are available to buy from any ticket office or on train staff.
Some may not get asked for them often, so hesitancy may indicate inexperience of issue rather than refusal.
For the Wherry Rover, ask the clerk to look in “Rovers and Rangers” for ticket code “WRR”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top