• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where to go from Southend Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panceltic

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2012
Messages
318
Location
Manchester
Hello,

touching down at Southend on a Tuesday in August (at 7.25pm) and flying home the next Tuesday (at 8.10pm), so I have a week to travel around! I haven't booked anything else apart from the flights yet.

Could anyone recommend a railway-and-sightseeing itinerary? I was thinking about Essex-Suffolk-Norfolk, or heading straight to Cardiff and explore Wales from there. I don't really care about the place (except London which I'd like to avoid unless necessary for changing trains), more about the price. I'm happy to travel on advance tickets, and will appreciate any suggestions for rovers & rangers.

I'm under 26, if that helps. I don't have a railcard but I can buy one if needed.

Thanks a lot for helping!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,122
Location
Redcar
Have you considered a Britrail Pass? For a youth (16 - 25) you can have eight days travel for €224 and would be valid throughout Great Britain. You can find more information here.

There may be a cheaper option if you can be a bit clearer on what your plan is. For instance do you wish to do as much travelling around as possible in a week or would you rather do some travelling but also spend time in some locations? You mention exploring Wales but also Essex-Suffolk-Norfolk can you be a bit clearer on what you want to do.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
There are just so many places to visit! It does rather depend on what sort of thing you're interested in.

Heading from Southend to Cardiff, or west in general, you've got to get a train into London and head onwards. Indeed, unless you head east you will find it hard to avoid London!

EDIT:

Re-read the first post. There is an All Wales Flexipass, valid for 4 days out of 8, which I believe still costs approximately £90 (not sure what that is in €, maybe around €120?), which as the name suggests covers all of Wales by rail and also selected bus routes too.

There's an absolute ton of day rangers and rovers for many different parts of the country, although Essex is one area which has no rangers or rovers.
 
Last edited:

306024

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
3,974
Location
East Anglia
Well for a start there is err...... Southend ;)
At least it has the longest pleasure pier in the world apparently, not a lot else though.

For Essex, and particularly Suffolk and Norfolk, have a look at the abelliogreateranglia website for details of tickets, no rover available (as has been said) for Essex, but some options for Suffolk, Norfolk and Cambridgeshire.

So some ideas:
Manningtree, country walk to Flatford (John Constable land, see picture <----- opposite), and on to Dedham, bus back to Colchester (check times, not frequent, but good pubs in Dedham).
Norwich, a fine city with cathedral and castle.
Woodbridge, pleasant little town.
Saxmundham for connecting bus to Aldeburgh.
Halesworth for connecting bus to Southwold. Southwold is simply lovely.
Sheringham for North Norfolk Railway, and coastal hopper bus along the North Norfolk Coast, Wells and Blakeney are worth a stop off.
Wroxham for Norfolk Broads and Bure Valley Railway to Aylsham.
Wymondham for Mid Norfolk Railway (20 min walk) and station buffet.
Berney Arms, for the experience of getting off in the middle of nowhere, but check train times.
And in Cambridgeshire (but OK with rover ticket)
Ely, the cathedral dominates the landscape.
Cambridge, historical colleges.

Colchester, Bury St Edmunds and Ipswich are large towns but of limited interest in a week. Colchester Castle is of historical interest set in a nice park but closer to Colchester Town station than Colchester main line station. Can't recommend Great Yarmouth or Lowestoft much I'm afraid.

And so much more besides, over to you.
 
Last edited:

EssexGonzo

Member
Joined
9 May 2012
Messages
637
If travel by rail is the only option, As has already been said, I would go north getting out of South Essex to Colchester, Norwich, across to Cambridge.

If hiring a car is an option, the Suffolk / Essex border is lovely, North Essex ditto and rural Norfolk is fantastic.

Plus all of the above!
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
If you mainly want to travel by rail, you can get a Britrail pass (as said above) to travel far from Southend and London. Maybe Southend-London-Inverness and explore the far north for a bit, then into the peak district and things like that. You would have to go via London to change trains though. Lincoln is a nice place to explore if you have the time too.
 

Panceltic

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2012
Messages
318
Location
Manchester
Hi again,

thanks for your detailed replies! I really appreciate them. I've had a look on the Britrail website and the passes seem reasonably priced, but they only pay if I'm going to travel a lot, I guess.

By avoiding London, it was not spending days there I had in mind; I don't mind changing trains there (or crossing it for that purpose) - it will be pretty much inevitable as you all say.

Hiring a car is sadly not an option (at least until I'm 25 and don't have to pay the expensive young driver supplement) so I find the Essex, Suffolk & Norfolk (and maybe Cambs) itineraries you've suggested really interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a Britrail pass won't pay for doing just this?

I have to make a decision now - either go for a big rail trip all around Britain (I'd really love to travel on the Far North and Kyle lines as I've done the West Highlands line two months ago and found it spectacular) or keep it local around East Anglia and buying individual tickets.

If I was to buy a railcard, is Southend Airport railway station staffed in the evenings (around 8pm)?

Thanks for your help
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Hi again,

thanks for your detailed replies! I really appreciate them. I've had a look on the Britrail website and the passes seem reasonably priced, but they only pay if I'm going to travel a lot, I guess.

By avoiding London, it was not spending days there I had in mind; I don't mind changing trains there (or crossing it for that purpose) - it will be pretty much inevitable as you all say.

Hiring a car is sadly not an option (at least until I'm 25 and don't have to pay the expensive young driver supplement) so I find the Essex, Suffolk & Norfolk (and maybe Cambs) itineraries you've suggested really interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a Britrail pass won't pay for doing just this?

I have to make a decision now - either go for a big rail trip all around Britain (I'd really love to travel on the Far North and Kyle lines as I've done the West Highlands line two months ago and found it spectacular) or keep it local around East Anglia and buying individual tickets.

If I was to buy a railcard, is Southend Airport railway station staffed in the evenings (around 8pm)?

Thanks for your help

National Rail Enquiries shows it as open until 11pm :)
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Hi again,

thanks for your detailed replies! I really appreciate them. I've had a look on the Britrail website and the passes seem reasonably priced, but they only pay if I'm going to travel a lot, I guess.

By avoiding London, it was not spending days there I had in mind; I don't mind changing trains there (or crossing it for that purpose) - it will be pretty much inevitable as you all say.

Hiring a car is sadly not an option (at least until I'm 25 and don't have to pay the expensive young driver supplement) so I find the Essex, Suffolk & Norfolk (and maybe Cambs) itineraries you've suggested really interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a Britrail pass won't pay for doing just this?

I have to make a decision now - either go for a big rail trip all around Britain (I'd really love to travel on the Far North and Kyle lines as I've done the West Highlands line two months ago and found it spectacular) or keep it local around East Anglia and buying individual tickets.

If I was to buy a railcard, is Southend Airport railway station staffed in the evenings (around 8pm)?

Thanks for your help

If I were you I would definitely go for the trip all around Britain instead of sticking to Anglia. Take a look at this thread for the most scenic train journeys in the UK.
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
Definitely take a trip around Britain and don't just stick to Anglia - its not that interesting
 

306024

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
3,974
Location
East Anglia
Can this be trusted? :D Or is it better to order online (I have a friend in the UK and I can order it to her address)?

Southend Airport is staffed by Stobbart staff, not Greater Anglia, so while it is more likely to be open, their ticket selling experience may not be so wide. Take any risk out of the equation and order in advance if possible.

Definitely take a trip around Britain and don't just stick to Anglia - its not that interesting

Falling asleep while trying to travel excessive mileages in just a week, and end up seeing nothing doesn't sound too much fun either. Each to their own I guess, depends how much stamina you've got.
 
Last edited:

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
True, but I wasn't necessarily suggesting spending the whole week on trains. I was more suggesting that it'd be better to visit places around the UK rather than just East Anglia. As interesting as I'm sure Manningtree and Norwich are, for example, would they really be worth visiting over places like Edinburgh?
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
I would definitely go for a bit of a tour of the UK, we've got some lines that are really nice to travel along and there's a lot of places worth seeing.

Edinburgh's worth a visit for certain, plenty of tourist-y things to do and the sightseeing bus tour is quite good too. When I did the price was fairly reasonable.

Depends what the OP is after doing. If they're interested solely on trains then there's plenty to recommend! For seeing some of the best of the country, there's several routes to recommend. Wales alone could take a few days to do. Must-do lines in my eyes would include:

Heart of Wales
North Wales Coast
Highland Main Line
Kyle of Lochalsh line
WCML north of Lancaster especially
Settle and Carlisle
Stranraer line
Calder Valley
 

306024

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
3,974
Location
East Anglia
Edinburgh is indeed a fine place, as are so many places in the UK, (even Nottingham ;) ) just that if I wanted to visit Edinburgh I wouldn't fly to Southend in the first place.

Further suggest forget trains completely and spend the week on Canvey Island instead :(
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,973
Location
Airedale
I suppose it depends if this is a one off visit to the UK, or if the OP is able to visit again. If the latter, then I'd leave the "all points of the compass" approach to party leaders seeking votes, and focus on a couple of smaller areas. East Anglia and S Wales would be a nice contrast.
 

Panceltic

Member
Joined
2 Nov 2012
Messages
318
Location
Manchester
Thanks again for all your comments.

It was the low airfare (new route promotion) that lured me into buying the ticket in the first place, I didn't choose Southend :D

I am able to visit the UK again (and again), so I'm absolutely not trying to see everything now, I can save some places for the next time(s).
 

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
1,449
The railway journey from Southend Central towards London (Fenchurch Street) is *considerably* more scenic and interesting (along the very coastline, past castle ruins and marshlands) than that from Southend Victoria/Airport to Liverpool Street, if you will be travelling that stretch in the daytime. (it's a 5-10 minute walk from Southend Victoria to Southend Central stations - although you really should go and see the pier, and have some good local Rossi's ice cream, as well.) Southend occupies a very special place in the heart of many a Londoner - almost certainly the first place many of them (including me) saw the sea....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top