• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where to buy a 2 week 1st class ALR

Status
Not open for further replies.

breadfan

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2013
Messages
235
Location
Oop north
Now, I know I can buy them from any manned station, but (and I know it's small change for the TOC) I'd value people's thoughts on who I should spend just over a grand with. Is there is an independent shop or similar in the Preston area where the 9% would be a pleasant bonus for them? My thinking is maybe head to Kirkham & Wesham and spend the money with Northern as they seem to be one of the few TOCs who advertise rover tickets.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Searle

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2012
Messages
1,580
Location
Ladbroke Grove
I'm sure any guard who would be willing to sell it to you would enjoy the commission! I haven't heard of any independent shops being able to sell any rail tickets apart from Oyster top ups.
 

alastair

Member
Joined
14 Oct 2010
Messages
484
Location
S Devon
Now, I know I can buy them from any manned station, but (and I know it's small change for the TOC) I'd value people's thoughts on who I should spend just over a grand with. Is there is an independent shop or similar in the Preston area where the 9% would be a pleasant bonus for them? My thinking is maybe head to Kirkham & Wesham and spend the money with Northern as they seem to be one of the few TOCs who advertise rover tickets.

I am sure Ffestiniog Travel http://www.myrailtrip.co.uk/ would be delighted to do this for you and your money would be going to an excellent cause. I guess they would have to send it to you however. In my experience they are exceptionally helpful and well trained.
 

breadfan

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2013
Messages
235
Location
Oop north
I am sure Ffestiniog Travel http://www.myrailtrip.co.uk/ would be delighted to do this for you and your money would be going to an excellent cause. I guess they would have to send it to you however. In my experience they are exceptionally helpful and well trained.

The cost of the mega-insured postage would put me off that, sadly.

I didn't realise a guard would get the commission. I know a Northern guard who I regularly get advice off, I'll give him a shout.

Thanks for the replies :)
 

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
We had a similar thread recently. The problem with buying from a guard is they probably can't take a card payment for that amount.
 

breadfan

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2013
Messages
235
Location
Oop north
We had a similar thread recently. The problem with buying from a guard is they probably can't take a card payment for that amount.

My guard friend said he didn't think they could issue them on Avantix machines. Though it would be nice to get a 5% cut.

I remember buying tickets from my local travel agent, but that would be mid to late 80s.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top