• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where are the pink validators at Stratford? / Oyster PAYG question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
Took at journey from Surrey Quays to Southbury on Thursday, touched a pink reader at Whitechapel to change from Overground to the District Line, but because I didn't touch one at Stratford, when changing from Central line onto a Geeater Anglia service to Cheshunt, I've been charged £6.20 instead of the avoiding zone 1 fare of £3.20. Oyster website says I should have touched a pink reader at Stratford. I looked for one but didn't see one anywhere, despite being there for a while so having a good wander around!

Later the same day I appear to have been charged £1.50 from Highbury & Islington to Shepherd's Bush, instead of Southbury, where I started from after topping up, so should have been £2.20. I remember touching at pink reader at H&I, but it appears to have counted this as touching in. I also touched one at Willesden Junction, probably unnecessarily.

I've a bus journey on top of this, at £1.40, so total I should have been charged is £6.80 but for the day I've been charged £9.10.

By my calculation the refund I'm due is now £2.30. Can someone tell me where the validators are at Stratford, if it's worth ringing Oyster to get £2.30 refunded?

Date / Time Journey / Action Charge Balance
Thursday, 10 October 2013
£9.10 daily total

15:52 Bus journey, route 94 £1.40 £6.15

14:03 - 14:52 Highbury & Islington to Shepherd's Bush [London Overground] £1.50
£7.55
14:52 Touch out, Shepherd's Bush [London Overground] +£3.40 £7.55
14:37 Touched pink card reader, Willesden Junction £0.00 £4.15
14:03 Touch in, Highbury & Islington £4.90 £4.15

13:38 Topped up, +£10.00 £9.05

09:08 - 10:40 Surrey Quays [London Overground] to Southbury [National Rail] £6.20
-£0.95
10:40 Touch out, Southbury [National Rail] +£1.00 -£0.95
09:19 Touched pink card reader, Whitechapel £0.00 -£1.95
09:08 Touch in, Surrey Quays [London Overground] £7.20 -£1.95
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
Pink validators are on the overground platforms. You should only need to touch them if going via Hackney or Highbury. I'd always call the helpline if you've been overcharged, though it helps to have a clear understanding of what you should have paid because they often assume you'd have capped and only refund above that.

If you can post your expanded journey history then we can try and work out what happened at other points that day.
 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
Pink validators are on the overground platforms.

I couldn't see one on platform 11.

If you can post your expanded journey history then we can try and work out what happened at other points that day.

You might have started replying before I posted my expanded journey history, but it's there now.



To clarify my journeys were:

Surrey Quays - Whitechapel - Mile End - Stratford - Cheshunt - Southbury

Southbury - Seven Sisters - Highbury & Islington - Willesden Junction - Shepherds Bush
 
Last edited:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
I see you've added it. ;)

How did you get from Stratford to Southbury without touching again? Normally you would go via Tottenham Hale and Seven Sisters which would force a touch.

It appears that you didn't touch in at Southbury. This is a common issue after topping up, even I've done it once. Pink readers will act as entry validators if you're not already in.
 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
I see you've added it. ;)

How did you get from Stratford to Southbury without touching again? Normally you would go via Tottenham Hale and Seven Sisters which would force a touch.

On a Stratford - Bishop's Stortford train to Cheshunt, so no touch.

You could be right about having not touched in at Southbury on my second journey.
 
Last edited:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
I couldn't see one on platform 11.

Sorry, that should be London Overground platforms (1 and 2).

You might have started replying before I posted my expanded journey history, but it's there now.

Yep!

To clarify my journeys were:

Surrey Quays - Whitechapel - Mile End - Stratford - Cheshunt - Southbury

Southbury - Seven Sisters - Highbury & Islington - Willesden Junction - Shepherds Bush

It's ignored Whitechapel as you don't need to touch there. Thus it's assumed you've gone through Shoreditch and Highbury.
 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
I've contacted Oyster through the website in the hope they can refund me (rather do that that phone).
 

bicbasher

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2010
Messages
1,839
Location
London
I've contacted Oyster through the website in the hope they can refund me (rather do that that phone).

The phone number is now an 03 number, which if you have inclusive minutes would come out of that instead of the more costly 08 number.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top