• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where are all the qualified jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
10 Dec 2019
Messages
64
Location
South
Anybody know if qualified driver positions will become more sought after anytime in the future?
It seems the sector is saturated with trainees due to the gov apprenticeship incentive.
Freight driver positions also seem non existent and the ones that do come up want again either trainees or qualified freight drivers?.
I would of thought with allot of drivers due to retire, being qualified would be an asset rather than a disadvantage however this doesn't seem to be the case. What are people's thoughts on this? Surely if everyone comes to companies via the apprenticeship route there is little experience getting spread around?.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2017
Messages
3,672
Anybody know if qualified driver positions will become more sought after anytime in the future?
It seems the sector is saturated with trainees due to the gov apprenticeship incentive.
Freight driver positions also seem non existent and the ones that do come up want again either trainees or qualified freight drivers?.
I would of thought with allot of drivers due to retire, being qualified would be an asset rather than a disadvantage however this doesn't seem to be the case. What are people's thoughts on this? Surely if everyone comes to companies via the apprenticeship route there is little experience getting spread around?.
At EMR we took both trainee and qualified. Avanti have taken both. Chiltern both. LNER took qualified at Newcastle I believe as did Lumo. Hull trains took qualified and both southeastern and great western seems to have permanent qualified ads out. TFW took qualified quite recently and so did Thameslink.
 

WF4HA5HE

Member
Joined
17 May 2022
Messages
183
Location
Sheffield
At EMR we took both trainee and qualified. Avanti have taken both. Chiltern both. LNER took qualified at Newcastle I believe as did Lumo. Hull trains took qualified and both southeastern and great western seems to have permanent qualified ads out. TFW took qualified quite recently and so did Thameslink.
LNER also recently had an advert out for qualified drivers at Leeds and Doncaster and I believe Grand Central only take qualified drivers.
 
Joined
10 Dec 2019
Messages
64
Location
South
With regards to Lumo and LNER they took on very few qualified in comparison to Trainees (a few positions). Trainees seem to be first choice.
 

DoubleO

Member
Joined
30 May 2018
Messages
218
There is an argument that experience isn't getting spread around, but the more important point is that rather than a pool of drivers moving round from company to company as happened in the past, new people are coming into the grade which was exactly what is required due to the average age of existing drivers etc.
 

357

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2018
Messages
2,284
Are qualified drivers struggling to find employment at another TOC because of lack of vacancies?

When I decided it was time to wave goodbye to my old TOC I had a number of interviews at different TOCs and FOCs before deciding on where I am now.

This was despite drivers and management saying it was impossible to move as a qualified anymore.
 

Dieseldriver

Member
Joined
9 Apr 2012
Messages
1,020
Are qualified drivers struggling to find employment at another TOC because of lack of vacancies?

When I decided it was time to wave goodbye to my old TOC I had a number of interviews at different TOCs and FOCs before deciding on where I am now.

This was despite drivers and management saying it was impossible to move as a qualified anymore.
Depends on whereabouts you are in the country. There has definitely been a noticeable drought in qualified vacancies in recent years.
 

Economist

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2013
Messages
558
My intercity TOC used to recruit only qualified drivers and whilst it still does recruit qualifieds, trainees make up the majority. Personally, I consider myself very lucky to have gotten in after nearly five years on suburban DOO, including time as a DI. A few years ago, intercity work was almost exclusively a reward for those who could hack it at a surburban/regional job for a few years (with the exception of Virgin until the early 2000's) and I think it's a shame that isn't still the case. Occasionally I'll come across a PQ moaning about picking a trip up off spare or something, not knowing how lucky they are to go straight onto Class 1 guarded work.

I'd like to see ASLEF stimulate healthy competition between TOCs in what is supposed to be a competitive private sector, the problem is in recent years (including before the pandemic) the DfT has been allowed to have their cake and eat it with privatised profits but state control and decision making.
 

357

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2018
Messages
2,284
Occasionally I'll come across a PQ moaning about picking a trip up off spare or something, not knowing how lucky they are to go straight onto Class 1 guarded work.
This forum needs a "Like" button!
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,032
Location
London
Just a cursory browse through the last few pages of there forums and you will find plenty of qualified adverts.

They are just not always the places people want to go though.
 

class 9

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2010
Messages
1,080
Cross Country take on a combination of qualified and trainees, nationwide.
 

richfoz84

Member
Joined
13 Oct 2018
Messages
383
Best option, I think personally, is to try and get an email address of a DTM at your desired TOC. Can’t do any harm! And ensures a DTM sees it; and it doesn’t get lost in HR’s email inboxes!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top