• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When will Scotland return to some sort of normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
If you read between the lines of the daily broadcast. It's expected that travel industry will start in early July. Just need to wait till Thursday for the next installment.

Seem an Internet shot of a pub in Glasgow City Centre with a screen the length of the bar. Customers would be outside in the lovely Scottish weather. Socially distanced at whatever is agreed distance.

Spain opened today for UK visitors with more to follow in the next couple of weeks. So assuming you are allowed to leave there could be a summer break yet. Just need to lift the quarantine when you come back.
Are you referring to the English or Scottish briefing, and can you also explain how you arrived at this conclusion from listening to the briefings?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

92002

Established Member
Joined
27 Mar 2014
Messages
1,260
Location
Clydebank
Are you referring to the English or Scottish briefing, and can you also explain how you arrived at this conclusion from listening to the briefings?
We are talking about the Scotland Breiefing.

The First Minister keeps dropping hints. Usually when the briefing moves to Journalist questions.

Guess you need to wait till Thursday for the Official statement.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,160
Location
Elginshire
Is it? I don't call a pub full of perspex screens very encouraging, especially if the staff are all masked as well. It'll be like drinking in an operating theatre.
It hasn't stopped me going to my local Costcutter. Their staff have masks and are behind a perspex screen, and it makes absolutely no difference to the experience at all. I'd rather have my local pub open with perspex screens and masked staff than have no pub at all, to be honest.
 

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,593
Is it? I don't call a pub full of perspex screens very encouraging, especially if the staff are all masked as well. It'll be like drinking in an operating theatre.
It'll be nothing compared to the thrill of drinking in an operating theatre. Probably shouldn't say any more about that though in case I end up with no medical licence...
 

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
It hasn't stopped me going to my local Costcutter. Their staff have masks and are behind a perspex screen, and it makes absolutely no difference to the experience at all. I'd rather have my local pub open with perspex screens and masked staff than have no pub at all, to be honest.

I take the opposite view. I find all the coronavirus theatre to be enormously depressing and oppressive. If leisure facilities and hospitality businesses are full of one-way systems, signs, masks, barriers etc., I really don't want to use them.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,160
Location
Elginshire
I take the opposite view. I find all the coronavirus theatre to be enormously depressing and oppressive. If leisure facilities and hospitality businesses are full of one-way systems, signs, masks, barriers etc., I really don't want to use them.
I'm quite happy to have all this in place as long as I can get out of the house for a pint! If it means that my local can actually start trading properly* again then I'll abide by whatever guidelines are in place. They won't last forever. If you'd rather not, then fine - don't go out.

* They've been doing take-away meals for the last few weeks, so they haven't been completely shut
 

Scrotnig

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2017
Messages
593
I take the opposite view. I find all the coronavirus theatre to be enormously depressing and oppressive. If leisure facilities and hospitality businesses are full of one-way systems, signs, masks, barriers etc., I really don't want to use them.
I'm the same.

I don't want my leisure time filled with this stuff. I don't want to go to places where I'm treated as toxic and poisonous and unwanted, and I don't want to see people in masks and hazmat suits or whatever. I certainly don't want to go in a pub or restaurant or hotel that looks like a nuclear waste zone with black and yellow tape everywhere.

And I'm certainly not standing in any North Korean queues to get in a shop while being ordered about by someone in a yellow vest.

And I will not wear a muzzle anywhere!

And all the above also applies to one of my main hobbies, heritage railways, sadly. Not that it's likely to be an issue as most will have gone bust by next year.

Count me out of all this.
 

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
I'm the same.

I don't want my leisure time filled with this stuff. I don't want to go to places where I'm treated as toxic and poisonous and unwanted, and I don't want to see people in masks and hazmat suits or whatever. I certainly don't want to go in a pub or restaurant or hotel that looks like a nuclear waste zone with black and yellow tape everywhere.

And I'm certainly not standing in any North Korean queues to get in a shop while being ordered about by someone in a yellow vest.

And I will not wear a muzzle anywhere!

And all the above also applies to one of my main hobbies, heritage railways, sadly. Not that it's likely to be an issue as most will have gone bust by next year.

Count me out of all this.

Yeah, it's all ridiculously over the top, and because our glorious leader seems determined to pander to the ridiculously fearful people who think hundreds will die if you go within 1.99m of them, we're stuck with it indefinitely.

I'll keep an eye on what happens when the leisure and hospitality sectors reopen, but if they're awash with nasty restrictions, I'll avoid them. Supposedly all this nonsense is to "reassure" people that things are "safe", but it puts me so on edge I just want to run away.

Things ARE safe. Only a tiny minority genuinely need to fear this virus.
 

Scrotnig

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2017
Messages
593
Yeah, it's all ridiculously over the top, and because our glorious leader seems determined to pander to the ridiculously fearful people who think hundreds will die if you go within 1.99m of them, we're stuck with it indefinitely.

I'll keep an eye on what happens when the leisure and hospitality sectors reopen, but if they're awash with nasty restrictions, I'll avoid them. Supposedly all this nonsense is to "reassure" people that things are "safe", but it puts me so on edge I just want to run away.

Things ARE safe. Only a tiny minority genuinely need to fear this virus.
Totally agree.

As for pubs etc, well there was a video released by Greene King showing what their 'new normal' was going to be like, and a similar release by Wetherspoons (albeit theirs was just photographs). I'm afraid that pubs are going to be like doctors' surgeries in terms of what goes on.

Apparently they will also have staff wandering about reminding people to socially distance! Who thinks these things up?
"Sorry folks, just need to interrupt your conversation for a moment to remind you all to keep two metres apart at all times...if you could just move along a bit please sir....could everyone also please wash their hands every 20 minutes....excuse me sir, please don't wander around like that, you'll need to stay seated at your table."

You couldn't make this nonsense up!
 

MattA7

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2019
Messages
473
I’ll be happy when the places of worship reopen however sadly I think that they will be one of the last places to reopen as they are considered mass gatherings by Sturgeon

They have also being advised by religious leaders to stay closed until they can open normally rather than reopening with this social distancing nonsense.

I have also decided to leave college until next year as the so called safety precautions they are putting in place are more than a bit over the top (such as online teaching, adapting the building to make corridors one way etc) will probably look more like a nuclear waste zone than a place to study
 
Last edited:

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
I doubt you'll have to wait 3 weeks for an appointment to visit the pub

If pubs in Scotland were like GP's surgeries, you might have to wait for an appointment to visit, but think of the free beer when you get there. :D:D

Meanwhile, John Swinney has not exactly helped the Scottish hospitality industry by saying that the two metre rule is likely to stay until the autumn.

This will mean that, even if the hospitality industry in Scotland does re-open on 15th July, many businesses may remain closed, or those that open will be unprofitable. It will also discourage people from making advance bookings for July and August, in the hope that things might be back to something approaching normal.

I can't help thinking that Mrs Krankie is waiting to see what happens in England.

With Boris dropping heavy hints that the two metre rule is going to be relaxed South of the border, she can then decide that, if nothing bad happens in England, the time is right for Scotland to follow suit.


A two metre social distancing rule is highly unlikely to be relaxed in Scotland this summer, John Swinney has said.

The Deputy First Minister, speaking to parents in an online chat on Tuesday night, said he firmly expected the requirement to be in place when the new school year begins on August 11 and that a Covid-19 vaccine may be needed before it is reduced.

His comments will come as a blow to businesses, particularly those in the hospitality and tourism sectors, many of which have said they will find it impossible to operate profitably if the rule is not relaxed.

Nicola Sturgeon has previously pledged to keep the rule under review, but has refused to give a timeframe for when it will be reconsidered. South of the border, the rule is already being reviewed with a view to relaxing it by next month.

However, Mr Swinney confirmed that his advice was that the rule would still be in place in Scotland in August.

“The guidance we have today from our clinical and scientific advisers is that the two metre social distancing requirement should remain in place to enable us to reduce the prevalence of coronavirus,” he said.

“Now, we could get different advice from our advisers at some stage in the future. But I don’t know if that will be the case because they are telling us, until such time as we have either a vaccination or have suppressed coronavirus to such an extent that it’s prevalence is really not a factor in our society, which I honestly do not see how that could happen, social distancing will be required.”

He added: “If there was a lower social distancing requirement, then it naturally follows that more pupils could be accommodated at the one time within schools.

“But certainly from what I can see, and from what I’m being advised, that will be in place in August.”

Mr Swinney took part in the online forum with parents amid a growing backlash over his “blended learning” plan, which will see pupils spend part of their time at home for an indefinite period once schools return in August. Some parents have been told their children will spend just one full day a week in classes.

Ms Sturgeon has dismissed a suggestion from Mr Swinney and teaching unions that schools may not return to normal before August 2021, although she is yet to offer a precise timeframe.
 

scotrail158713

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2019
Messages
1,826
Location
Dundee
I’ll be happy when the places of worship reopen however sadly I think that they will be one of the last places to reopen as they are considered mass gatherings by Sturgeon

They have also being advised by religious leaders to stay closed until they can open normally rather than reopening with this social distancing nonsense.
I completely agree. The frustrating thing is that in the church I go to, there’s not many of us, so we could all socially distance without any issue if we needed to. However we are always praying for more people to come, so if we suddenly had an influx of new members then that would be an issue, so I think it’ll be a case of shut until there’s no need for distancing.
 

Gadget88

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2013
Messages
811
Do people here support Scotland staying shut down longer? Unemployment at a record high now.

We have always had lower virus cases in Scotland. Surely shops could have been opened by now?
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
Do people here support Scotland staying shut down longer? Unemployment at a record high now.

We have always had lower virus cases in Scotland. Surely shops could have been opened by now?
I absolutely do not support it.

My region, Dumfries and Galloway, has the following statistics:

0 Cases in the Last 2 weeks
0 Covid deaths for over a month
R number here = 0.52

And yet, despite the fact that we are in a better position than the majority of England, our businesses are dying (there’s countless shops, cafes and restaurants closed in the last 2 weeks) and the local economy is dying and I would argue that there’s no real reason for this. Sturgeon needs to come out of her obsessive drive to get rid of the virus entirely and start to consider the economic and social implications of what she’s doing.
 

Gadget88

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2013
Messages
811
I absolutely do not support it.

My region, Dumfries and Galloway, has the following statistics:

0 Cases in the Last 2 weeks
0 Covid deaths for over a month
R number here = 0.52

And yet, despite the fact that we are in a better position than the majority of England, our businesses are dying (there’s countless shops, cafes and restaurants closed in the last 2 weeks) and the local economy is dying and I would argue that there’s no real reason for this. Sturgeon needs to come out of her obsessive drive to get rid of the virus entirely and start to consider the economic and social implications of what she’s doing.
Yes I keep hearing public support for Sturgeon but if she doesn’t announce something on Thursday I can see support falling. I would not be surprised if people in the borders cross over to England for shopping.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,835
Location
Stirlingshire
Yes I keep hearing public support for Sturgeon but if she doesn’t announce something on Thursday I can see support falling. I would not be surprised if people in the borders cross over to England for shopping.

I suspect Carlisle may already be experiencing this, an even bigger boon for them than the minimum pricing on Alcohol !!!
 

Bikeman78

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2018
Messages
6,187
I'm the same.

I don't want my leisure time filled with this stuff. I don't want to go to places where I'm treated as toxic and poisonous and unwanted, and I don't want to see people in masks and hazmat suits or whatever. I certainly don't want to go in a pub or restaurant or hotel that looks like a nuclear waste zone with black and yellow tape everywhere.

And I'm certainly not standing in any North Korean queues to get in a shop while being ordered about by someone in a yellow vest.

And I will not wear a muzzle anywhere!

And all the above also applies to one of my main hobbies, heritage railways, sadly. Not that it's likely to be an issue as most will have gone bust by next year.

Count me out of all this.
Agreed. It looks like the leisure sector has a tough time ahead. Plenty of people are scared of the virus so they won't go out. Plenty more, like you and I, will find these 'attractions' an ordeal so we will stay away. How many potential customers does that leave?
 

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
Agreed. It looks like the leisure sector has a tough time ahead. Plenty of people are scared of the virus so they won't go out. Plenty more, like you and I, will find these 'attractions' an ordeal so we will stay away. How many potential customers does that leave?

Yeah - I go out to pubs, cafes and attractions to relax, and going to places where I'm constantly exposed to propaganda and stupid rules will just push my blood pressure through the roof.

I think the only solution for the time being will be going to very, very quiet places where it won't be so bad.

I'm trying not to look forward to tomorrow's announcement too much, as it's bound to be disappointing. Sturgeon seems determined to do stuff either before or after England, in whatever way makes her look better, and her hardcore supporters lap it all up.
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
From what Sturgeon has been discussing today, I believe any adjustment to the distance will apply to England only.

In FMQ's today, she commented on ferry travel to and from islands, and she stated that 'this would only be safe if we were able to implement 2m distancing at a much reduced capacity'.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,835
Location
Stirlingshire
From what Sturgeon has been discussing today, I believe any adjustment to the distance will apply to England only.

In FMQ's today, she commented on ferry travel to and from islands, and she stated that 'this would only be safe if we were able to implement 2m distancing at a much reduced capacity'.

What does she say about Aeroplanes then ?

Luckily I believe that is outwith her remit !!
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,672
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
From what Sturgeon has been discussing today, I believe any adjustment to the distance will apply to England only.

In FMQ's today, she commented on ferry travel to and from islands, and she stated that 'this would only be safe if we were able to implement 2m distancing at a much reduced capacity'.

Do they pack those ferries full and standing? My experience of the ferries further south is that other than in July and August they're nearly empty and distancing is as easy as it is in a shop because they hit the number of cars limit before they get anywhere near hitting the passenger number limit, and there are almost no foot passengers.
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
I don't want my leisure time filled with this stuff. I don't want to go to places where I'm treated as toxic and poisonous and unwanted,

Quite. Which is why I and others who used to visit Scotland regularly will not be travelling North, even if the Scottish lesiure sector does finally reopen. We will take our business to countries which have stated we are welcome as soon as restrictions* are lifted.

* In many cases the only restrictions left are the UK FCO advice against leisure travel, which causes insurance difficulties, and the UK quarantine nonsense.
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
Quite. Which is why I and others who used to visit Scotland regularly will not be travelling North, even if the Scottish lesiure sector does finally reopen. We will take our business to countries which have stated we are welcome as soon as restrictions* are lifted.

* In many cases the only restrictions left are the UK FCO advice against leisure travel, which causes insurance difficulties, and the UK quarantine nonsense.
Indeed and I fear this may have a significant effect on the tourism, leisure and travel sectors.

The attitude from many popular tourist places had essentially been **** off elsewhere, we don’t want you. This is strong at best and downright disrespectful and rude at worst. It’s shown the true colours of these places and now that they’re needing to reopen it may take a while for trust to be regained.

Some of the TOC’s have been just as bad “are you a key worker? If not then turn around and find another way we don’t want you”. The whole campaign in the uk has been driven by fearful, aggressive messaging, which has arguably done far more harm than good.

Sturgeon is going to really have to try hard to encourage people to pop up and get her tourism sector running again, given she’s shown how little she cares about the English with the national attitude that’s been adopted towards them.
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
Some key points from today’s briefing:

The 5 mile rule has been extended in Scotland for 3 more weeks until Phase 3 is enacted.

Shielded people are permitted to exercise, meet others from one other household in small groups, and take part in non contact activities.

From tomorrow, non shielding people can now meet others from 2 households in groups of no larger than 8, you are permitted to enter houses to use the toilet but for nothing else (that’s likely not going to happen).

From tomorrow, anyone who lives alone or with children under 18 can visit one other household indoors with no distancing (essentially the same as the English “bubble” system).

From Monday, the construction sector is able to move to the next sector of their reopening plan, dentists can reopen, professional sport can resume behind closed doors and places of worship can reopen for private prayer only.

From Monday 29th June:

Some indoor workplaces (which have opted to close such as factories, labs and research facilities can reopen)

Some call centres and non essential offices can open with social distancing and staggered work times.

Outdoor markets, playgrounds and sports facilities shall reopen.

Zoos and outdoor attractions can reopen, but only for those within 5 miles.

Registration offices will reopen and outdoor weddings will be permitted with limited numbers.

Retail premises of all sizes can reopen, however this is only for shops not in shopping centres, these will be opened in phase 3. Shops will need to reopen with 2m social distancing and hygiene measures.

Over the next three weeks:

Health service will reopen for more services, care services will be resumed, and public services will be scaled up and resumed.

Public transport will be increased, but 2m social distancing is still necessary. Outdoor hospitality, which was initially thought to be permitted to reopen in phase 2, is now not permitted to reopen for the time being, but this will be coming in the coming weeks, subject to social distancing and the evidence proving this to be safe.

The 2m rule was mentioned and Sturgeon mentioned that, as things stand, she has studied the evidence with her advisors and it’s been proven that, for now, anothing less than 2m is not safe. She also mentioned that she is not ruling out moving this to 1m or 1.5m where this can be proven safe.

Sturgeon has now mandated face coverings on ALL public transport (including ferries and planes) in Scotland from Monday, however she has said this is not going to be enough to mitigate the need for social distancing. She also mentioned she’s going to consider making it mandatory in shops subject to evidence.

Personally I think that if there‘s no change in focus or attitude, specifically surrounding social distancing and the actual risk vs perceived risk of the virus, this is going to cause vast unnecessary damage to the mental well-being and economy of Scotland and I certainly didn’t find anything mentioned today reassuring, if anything the opposite.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top