• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When was Rail Alphabet 1 last used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transilien

Member
Joined
10 Mar 2024
Messages
750
Location
Ayrshire
Rail Alphabet 1 is connected to British Rail of course but when did it get last used. Was it long after privatisation?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

frankmoh

On Moderation
Joined
7 May 2025
Messages
825
Location
London
There are many signs at my local station in Rail Alphabet still in use but they date back to the Network Southeast days, just with branding covered up.
 

etr221

Established Member
Joined
10 Mar 2018
Messages
1,603
By chance, I came across a RSSB Standard (Sign DA01 Iss 1) for Telephone number sign, which specifies (from 2015) 'Rail Alphabet'. I imagine there are other standards which also do so, and will need to be redone to cater for Rail Alphabet 2 - until then Rail Alphabet (1) will perforce remain in use.
 

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
1,449
Arriva Trains Wales and First Great Western both used it well into this century - I think the former up until they were replaced by TfW, and the latter, probably, until they rebranded as FGW.
 

M28361M

Member
Joined
15 May 2014
Messages
683
Location
Liverpool
Yes, Merseyrail still make use of original Rail Alphabet for station signage. The signs at Headbolt Lane station, opened in 2023, use the font.

Headbolt_Lane.jpg

(picture shows the station building at Headbolt Lane. The station name over the entrance door, and an "Information" sign over some poster boards in front of the station, both use Rail Alphabet)
 

AY1975

Established Member
Joined
14 Dec 2016
Messages
2,183
Merseyrail still use it.
I seem to recall that some Northern stations also still have it on Northern branded signs, albeit with white lettering on dark blue rather than black on white.

BR style signage with black Alphabet 1 lettering on white also now seems to be making a comeback at some stations, presumably as part of the transition to GBR.
 

AY1975

Established Member
Joined
14 Dec 2016
Messages
2,183
Where have these been installed new aside from Merseyrail? I've only seen RA2 on new signs.
Then I stand corrected. I didn't realise that there was a RA2 version. As I recall some stations in the Hope Valley between Sheffield and Chinley now have RA2 signs. Assuming that RA2 is what I think it is, RA1 and RA2 look pretty similar but I guess there are a few subtle differences.
 

Helvellyn

Established Member
Joined
28 Aug 2009
Messages
2,581
Then I stand corrected. I didn't realise that there was a RA2 version. As I recall some stations in the Hope Valley between Sheffield and Chinley now have RA2 signs. Assuming that RA2 is what I think it is, RA1 and RA2 look pretty similar but I guess there are a few subtle differences.
RA2 has been designed to be suitable for digital as well as physical applications, but was designed in collaboration with Margaret Calvert.



RA2 was also designed to work with the new Network Rail Wayfinding standards.

 

Leyland Bus

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2021
Messages
1,216
Location
York
I seem to recall that some Northern stations also still have it on Northern branded signs, albeit with white lettering on dark blue rather than black on white.

BR style signage with black Alphabet 1 lettering on white also now seems to be making a comeback at some stations, presumably as part of the transition to GBR.
Sadly, whilst there may be the odd ones, the majority of Northerns signs seem to be split between Helvetica bold and Arial bold depending when they were fitted...
 

wimbledonpete

Member
Joined
25 Nov 2011
Messages
260
Some of the signs on the currently defunct Ashford International Eurostar platforms are in this alphabet.
 

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,464
Location
London
Then I stand corrected. I didn't realise that there was a RA2 version. As I recall some stations in the Hope Valley between Sheffield and Chinley now have RA2 signs. Assuming that RA2 is what I think it is, RA1 and RA2 look pretty similar but I guess there are a few subtle differences.
RA2 is usually rendered at a lower weight than RA1 on signage.

Wikimedia Commons has this example of RA2 signage at Stafford.

And this example of original RA at Castle Cary.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top