BlueLeanie
On Moderation
A friend here in Haddenham was looking to make a journey to work at Culham in Oxfordshire. Their usual 50 minute drive has extended to almost two hours with multiple roadworks on the route, particularly at Thame and Golden Balls.
The return rail fare from Haddenham to Culham is a rather toppy £35.40, not far off three times the cost of taking the train to Oxford (£13.50). Obviously split ticketing is the workaround here, but I don't believe we should be normalising split ticketing to mitigate against fare errors.
So fiddling around with the fares, there's no extra charge for travelling home at night via Banbury, so this suggests to me that the fare mappings weren't corrected when the Bicester chord opened.
Playing with the fares a little more, Radley, Appleford & Didcot are similarily affected by the pricing jump.
Then I thought I found the biggest of them all.
A peak day return fare from Haddenham & Thame Parkway to Long Hanborough (HND) (via Bicester Village), a journey that can take as little as 49 minutes with a 7 minute cross-platform interchange comes in at an outrageous £70.70.
Until I reversed the direction and found that.
A peak day return fare from Long Hanborough (HND) to Haddenham & Thame Parkway (via Bicester Village) comes in at an obscene £122.20.
Surely there should be some kind of background audit operating to cross match fares with distances travelled, as well as a check of "handed" journeys to mitigate against this?
The return rail fare from Haddenham to Culham is a rather toppy £35.40, not far off three times the cost of taking the train to Oxford (£13.50). Obviously split ticketing is the workaround here, but I don't believe we should be normalising split ticketing to mitigate against fare errors.
So fiddling around with the fares, there's no extra charge for travelling home at night via Banbury, so this suggests to me that the fare mappings weren't corrected when the Bicester chord opened.
Playing with the fares a little more, Radley, Appleford & Didcot are similarily affected by the pricing jump.
Then I thought I found the biggest of them all.
A peak day return fare from Haddenham & Thame Parkway to Long Hanborough (HND) (via Bicester Village), a journey that can take as little as 49 minutes with a 7 minute cross-platform interchange comes in at an outrageous £70.70.
Until I reversed the direction and found that.
A peak day return fare from Long Hanborough (HND) to Haddenham & Thame Parkway (via Bicester Village) comes in at an obscene £122.20.
Surely there should be some kind of background audit operating to cross match fares with distances travelled, as well as a check of "handed" journeys to mitigate against this?