With the introduction of special steam services I seen an article which said stream ran until 14 years ago I think?
The
Jacobite steam service has been operating regularly since 1984, and there will have been other services running over the years in Scotland...
Did they really run passenger stream services right up until 2000? If so that's staggering.
I don't think Scotrail would have run any steam trains; any that ran in 2000 would have been operated by West Coast probably, as today. Perhaps Scotrail promoted some of West Coast's steam services in 2000? Without knowing what is being referred to it's hard to say!
I know they still run those old trains on the Fife Circle did they have steam ones before that?
They do indeed lease a train from West Coast Railways for use on the Fife Circle, but I am unsure what the question is. The Fife Circle isn't for tourists but for commuters, so it's quite a different market.
Am I right in thinking the same diesel locomotives run at the Boness railway as run on the Fife circle today?
That's not the case; the Fife Circle trains are run by modern Class 67 locomotives (
diagrams here). It will be many years before a Class 67 is preserved.
I know the carriages at the Boness one are maybe a decade behind those old Virgin ones they use today on the Fife circle though?
The Bo'ness stock ranges in age; a list is here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo'ness_and_Kinneil_Railway. Most of their stock appears to be Mk1s, which will pre-date West Coast Railway's Mk2s (which were, as you say, previously on lease to Virgin Trains)
I'm unsure of the exact details of the coaches used on the Fife Circle, but I am sure someone will know.