Wouldn't it just be easier if prams and wheelchairs were banned at busy times of day?![]()
Wouldn't it just be easier if prams and wheelchairs were banned at busy times of day?![]()
Very controversial, and in fact could never happen. I'll interpret the gist as 'rush hour commuter trains should provide priority for commuters trying to get to work'.
I agree with this general point - personally I would never, ever choose to board a crush loaded rush hour train unless necessary to get to work - which is unfortunately most days. For this reason it does (perhaps unjustifiably) get me annoyed when leisure travellers with giant rucksacks and luggage travel during rush hour on city services and take up an inordinate amount of room.
But there is no reason why wheelchair users should not need to commute just the same as able bodied people - they will need to get to work at the same time and should have the same right of access to commuter services, ref DDA and morally speaking they will be working tax paying citizens no different from everyone else.
However I feel the same cannot be said for mothers with giant buggies - unless it's 'Take your Daughter to Work Day' they are not commuters and have less need to travel at that time of day and should not expect special dispensation to take up a large amount of train space which is already so constrained in city areas.
Blimey, so leasure travellers and mums? Anyone else you don't like. Personally speaking it is rush hour commuters who do my head in, they do the journey every day so they know it will be crowded, they should leave earlier.
I thought that Disability Discrimination/Equality meant preferential treatment had to be given to those "less equal than others", so people standing in the wheelchair area could be kicked off.
Or I've listened to Daily Mail readers too much.
Blimey, so leasure travellers and mums? Anyone else you don't like. Personally speaking it is rush hour commuters who do my head in, they do the journey every day so they know it will be crowded, they should leave earlier.
However I feel the same cannot be said for mothers with giant buggies - unless it's 'Take your Daughter to Work Day' they are not commuters and have less need to travel at that time of day and should not expect special dispensation to take up a large amount of train space which is already so constrained in city areas.
Which "practical issues" are these?
These people who claim that folding a buggy is "too difficult" managed to do it perfectly easily as little as ten years ago, when most bus services were operated by step-entrance vehicles and most disabled people had to take taxis everywhere. The buggy I used, a Quinny Zapp, could be folded one handed. I also used a fixed pram that couldn't be folded but was always happy to get off if a wheelchair user wanted to get on; that was the risk I took using it.
DDA legislation- now incorporated in the Equality Act- was written with input from all stakeholders.
The real requirements of the Equality Act are straightforward- you should be able to get on a train, and use the lavatory (if one is provided), if you are a wheelchair user, subject to the "reasonable adjustments" restriction. It may be many things, but rocket science it is not.
Nobody would really suggest people in the wheelchair space should be thrown off a crush loaded train. But people who refuse to move out of the wheelchair space when there is room on the train, or people who barge past people in wheelchairs in the scramble to get on a train, or people who dump their bags in the wheelchair space, should be dealt with appropriately. And that includes people who couldn't possibly wake dear little Tarquin up from his nap.
Having both a young child and a wheelchair-bound relative, I see both sides of the argument. And it is clear that the wheelchair user should take priority over the able-bodied in terms of boarding a train. That doesn't mean chuck people on the train off, but I don't see many trains which are genuinely crush loaded as opposed to "people standing in a wheelchair area or vestibule because it's closer to the door".
This is EXACTLY what the rules on London buses are now, and to save the driver getting involved there are now pre-recorded announcements for them to play, that if a wheelchair passenger gets on and the allocated space is taken up with babies in pushchairs (typically when all the seats are taken as well) then they must get off and wait for the next bus.
Oh, and mum then has to pay again of course.
So I don't see why one person, wheelchair user who can't walk much, is somehow of greater priority than another person, little Miss Taunton, who cannot walk at all.
Folding prams are one thing. Folding it up while taking the baby out in a full vehicle and then holding on while it lurches round corners is quite another. Incidentally, I understand most wheelchairs are folding as well. Why aren't their users told to fold them up and stand swinging round a pole .....?
Nobody is a greater priority than anybody else, equality means just that and it's first come first served.
Of course, they may be taking their child to take advantage of workplace creche facilities, or use a creche near their place of work so that they can be nearby in case of emergency. (I do think the new breed of buggy is somewhat OTT)....
However I feel the same cannot be said for mothers with giant buggies - unless it's 'Take your Daughter to Work Day' they are not commuters and have less need to travel at that time of day and should not expect special dispensation to take up a large amount of train space which is already so constrained in city areas.
It'll be interesting to see what the High Court decide; one County Court has said the wheelchair user has priority over the wheelchair space and one County Court has said they don't.
Equality doesn't mean "first come first served", though, not when an able bodied person is preventing a disabled person from getting on a bus.
I think it would be really useful to be able to see a predicted occupancy level alongside train times - even a traffic light system would be good enough. The Highways Agency do this for motorways - why not the same for the railways?
As a leisure traveller (thankfully able-bodied) I would love to be able to avoid busy trains; but it isn't always obvious to the occasional traveller which ones they will be - travel patterns where I live are influenced more by school traffic and visitors than any particular commuter flow.
As a leisure traveller (thankfully able-bodied) I would love to be able to avoid busy trains; but it isn't always obvious to the occasional traveller which ones they will be - travel patterns where I live are influenced more by school traffic and visitors than any particular commuter flow.
I think it would be really useful to be able to see a predicted occupancy level alongside train times - even a traffic light system would be good enough. The Highways Agency do this for motorways - why not the same for the railways?
This is a genuine question and it's not just about commuting; there are plenty of other patterns relating to holidays, shopping, events etc.
Rather than blunt peak/off-peak pricing, this would allow a passenger to make an informed decision. That includes disabled people and parents - most don't want the stress.
(I'll try to predict some of the answers - "It's the TOC's responsibility"; "It's commercially sensitive" etc etc).
Who is to decide who is an "able bodied person"? Many people have disabilities that are not immeadiatly obvious.
As far as I can see we either ban all unfolded buggies or we just accept the current situation. Once a person with a buggy has been allowed on board they are entitled to complete their journey.
I do, regularly, and leave later as well if my schedule for the day allows it. I don't like or dislike either, my point was that our rail capacity is so constrained at the moment that we are at breaking point, and unless capacity is increased - which is either a) impractical on cost grounds, b) impractical on infrastructure grounds (dating back to Victorian infrastructure) or c) not going to happen for many years yet (ie HS2)
I would love it if employers started to get a bit smarter and allow much more telecommuting, with modern technology there is no need to be in the office for at least 50% of day to day work (in my industry anyway). But that won't happen because employers are obsessed with control and measurement, and if they can't see you at your desk you're obviously sitting around skiving off.
Wasn't meant to be antagonistic mate, apologies if it came across that way (often difficult to convey tone on Internet forums!), just trying to say that while we still have this situation we should try and travel at a time appropriate to our needs, unfortunately the primary need always has to be getting to work, otherwise we don't get paid.
Perhaps, although I would remind you of NRCoC 47 and 49 and the restrictions on the amount of luggage you can take on board.
Many of the Uni students I see on the trains are taking far more luggage with them, and with far bigger sizing, than NRCoC allows them to.
If they're standing in the sodding wheelchair area, they're able bodied.
Or they are compared to the bloke with no legs in the wheelchair, aren't they?
The guidance and legislation around reasonable adaptations refers to people who use mobility aids, it isn't whether someone is "able bodied". If you're a wheelchair user you are supposed to get priority access to the wheelchair area, even over other disabled people. The issue at court is how far a bus company should go to enforce this rule.
I'm prepared to bet that if bus companies remove the tip-up seats from wheelchair areas then most of these issues will disappear.
It doesn't have to be either/or.
Buggies that cannot be folded cannot be conveyed. Buggies that can be folded should be folded at busy times or when a wheelchair user requires the space. This is what it says on the bus signage. This is what the current situation is supposed to be, this is what the law says is supposed to happen.
I'm prepared to bet money that a parent who doesn't pay their bus fare, or otherwise breaks the T&Cs of travel, will get turfed off, baby or no baby. So I fail to see why this should be any different.
If your buggy doesn't fold you shouldn't be on the bus. Therefore you fold the buggy or you get off. Simple, really. Enforcing these rules, rather than letting the "ooh, I can't wake up Jayden" brigade win, is what is needed. Bus companies will be tough on fare evaders, perhaps they need to be tough on these people too. "This woman was removed from the bus because she was selfish and wanted to leave a disabled kid in a wheelchair in the pouring rain"; that would deal with the local media angle too.
There were plenty of spare seats and a luggage area which would have taken a pushchair.
Careful laddie! Any more common sense suggestions like that and you'll have the full force of mumsnet on your case!
I sometimes go on that site just to read what they are moaning about, and to be honest they put the moaners on here to shame with the minuscule things they complain about!
Hmmm...you got any secret yearnings 455...I can envisage you now with a pretend pregnancy suit, proudly stroking your stomach.
There are many sites on the net I visit that I would not want my fellow forum members to know about, but admitting to viewing Mumsnet takes some balls...erm...
This is perhaps my all time favourite topic from our favourite matriarchal madhouse.It is hilarious on there, they really are up themselves.
No I havent signed up!
Some of them are so anti-bloke it makes me wonder how they got pregnant in the first place!![]()
This is perhaps my all time favourite topic from our favourite matriarchal madhouse.