• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wheelchair passenger not allowed to board

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
I have just told you that you can see my account, I dont need to show you it but am willing to, yet you still come back with another question. Now if I ignore answering this question then I will be labelled as dodger. So... here goes.... I cant send you the password in a PM because I do not want you to take hours on end going through all of my emails. I will call you, give you my access details, allow you a minute or so to read the email and then change the password.

Is that not reasonable?

There would be no difference in either operation. You would just change the password when you wanted the person to stop looking.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
Is that not reasonable?

Not when I am unable to recieve the call to do so, no.


I asked what I would consider to be a reasonable question because I am interested to find out, but unable to do so by the method you suggest.
I wonder if anyone else thinks I was unreasonable to ask?
 

ukrob

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2009
Messages
1,810
It would be much safer to use remote desktop software - then you can see what people are looking at and immediately disconnect them. No password sharing involved.

You might well try and start saying your account was hacked if someone logs into it. I wouldn't put it past you.
 

tonyaran

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
93
There would be no difference in either operation. You would just change the password when you wanted the person to stop looking.

There would be a difference.

He could change the password and security questions. People on this forum already have issues with me for trying to highlight a serious issue regarding wheelchair users and attitudes of guards and other train related employees. This would be an ideal way to get back at me.

He could reply to Northern Rail from my email saying something very wrongful.

He may come back and say I did not give him enough time to look at the email.

Now here is something I can do and will do. Yes the email is part of a conversation. I can forward the email (full conversation) to anyone who is interested. Just PM with you emails please. But saying that people will say I composed the whole conversation.
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
Apologies if I am being out of order…

I’m just wondering if this thread is ever actually going to achieve anything?

Though I suppose I’m the only one that thinks this thread is just going round in circles. :(
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
Now here is something I can do and will do. Yes the email is part of a conversation. I can forward the email (full conversation) to anyone who is interested. Just PM with you emails please. But saying that people will say I composed the whole conversation.

Please do. My email is ralphchadkirk [at] gmail [dot] com.
 

sidmouth

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
197
Location
Peterborough
Yep - just an all round attention seeker and troublemaker.

Precisely. Some one that does not care about other peoples' feelings, and who cannot empathise. All "me, me, me", and I bet he is loving all the current attention on this forum; it's what makes him ticks but couldn't care less and who might be affected (the guard) by his actions. A sad case, but some one to be avoided / ignored both in a professional and social capacity.
 

boing_uk

Member
Joined
18 May 2009
Messages
619
Location
Blackburn
For what its worth, I beleive now what Tonya Ryan is saying. That Northern accept responsibility and that they were in the wrong, etc etc etc.

No doubt because there were conflicting views and evidence on the subject, there is no cast iron guarantee of saying "the customer was wrong" simply because I am sure they accept that this is the type of customer who could not accept a "we were right to refuse you travel on this occasion" and would appear in the press in an instant.

So to save the hassle, it will be a case of back down quietly, apologise profusely to the customer, say how wrong they were etc etc and a revised bulletin to gateline staff to be more clear on their explanations to customers when dealing with wheelchairs and Class 142 units at certain stations.

We are never going to hear Northerns side of the story, they wont even issue a statement on the matter I am sure so it is pointless and makes US as a forum look bad to continually keep picking holes in Tonya's story and replies however right or wrong that may feel.
 

sidmouth

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
197
Location
Peterborough
No doubt because there were conflicting views and evidence on the subject, there is no cast iron guarantee of saying "the customer was wrong" simply because I am sure they accept that this is the type of customer who could not accept a "we were right to refuse you travel on this occasion" and would appear in the press.

Reminds me of EC who quickly backed down over the recent Professors ticket issue (getting of a train short at Darlington) despite being in the right.
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
I have now received the email chain from Tonyaryan - I shall examine it now, and thanks to him for forwarding it.
 

tonyaran

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
93
Please can you send it to me as well, the address of my hotmail account is in my profile.

Sent.

I have not received anything. Could you confirm that you have removed the spaces and replaced the text in the address as appropriate?

Sent again. Sorry, missed the k et the end.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have alighted at Guide Bridge maybe 40/50 times since I moved to nearer to the station - like Fenruary 2010.

I have used all types of trains for this journey - from Piccadilly - at different times of the day.

I have never had any problems apart from once when the guard forgot to put the ramp for me. It was a Saturday night and there were a lot of people drunk. The guard was pre-occupied, realised his mistake, and made sure to get me off the train on the journey back to Piccadilly.

There was an instance once, with an all together different guard, at Guide Bridge. He tried using both ramps but could not figure out how to. I told him that no one has before used both ramps, it has always been the single long ramp and I have had no problems going down it. After a minute or so more of tackling both ramps, he put the shorter ramp away and used the long one instead. I remember this was the exact type of train as the one in this issue.
 

Lampshade

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
3,778
Location
South London
As a matter of interest, how many different train companies have you travelled with to and from Guide Bridge?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
9,671
that was a lot of reading for one days posting :) but then gone quiet for two hours wierd :|

we dont really seem to be getting anywhere even after like 7 pages in one day.

You were very quick to say he faked email, bit harsh and judgmental.

Anyone starting to think the truth will never actually be known?
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,144
Location
Redcar
Anyone starting to think the truth will never actually be known?

No, and the reason for me, is the email I was sent on request, which I must add, was good of the guy to do so.

However, it seemed to be missing quite a bit and jumped from one part, to another with nothing in between. Whether this was to protect personal information, I wouldn't be too sure but the part sent did have his mobile number. It's all a bit hush hush for me, you get so much and then reach a dead end.
 

Ferret

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2009
Messages
4,131
I've long accepted that we'll never know the whole truth! Northern won't tell us and the wheelchair user seems incapable of telling us! It's a bloody farce all round quite frankly!
 

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,125
Location
Birmingham
Problem is once you click that forward button, you can still amend the original email. For example:

How to fake an email by Geezertronic - not a real email said:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: attentionseaker@hotmail.com
Sent: 07 October 2010 22:05
To: complains@northernrail.co.uk
Subject: How to fake an email

Dear Northern Rail

Here is an example of how to fake an email from yourself

Regards
Qamar
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The From email address has been changed, despite it being visible in his screenshot :D
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
There are a few things that jump out at me from the, somewhat short, email trail.
The first that immediately jumped out is Peter Myers sign off, which is different in every email and completely absent in one of them.
Another thing is the colour of text, which changes from all black to all blue, then to the main text being blue and the sign off being black.
These two seem very odd, especially for a professional company to change it's email style at least 5 times within 1 month.

I also find it a bit odd that his email address is "Pete", but his sign off is "Peter", which is something I've come across very few times when dealing with emails from businesses. Granted it does happen though, so that part is sort of plausible.

Overall, there's just something not right with it, I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just seems strange that the style of email within Northern is so fluid and changes with every email. It also seems an unusually plain email style overall, espeically for what is a relatively large company.
 

blue sabre

Member
Joined
6 Jun 2010
Messages
205
There are a few things that jump out at me from the, somewhat short, email trail.
The first that immediately jumped out is Peter Myers sign off, which is different in every email and completely absent in one of them.
Another thing is the colour of text, which changes from all black to all blue, then to the main text being blue and the sign off being black.
These two seem very odd, especially for a professional company to change it's email style at least 5 times within 1 month.

I also find it a bit odd that his email address is "Pete", but his sign off is "Peter", which is something I've come across very few times when dealing with emails from businesses. Granted it does happen though, so that part is sort of plausible.

Overall, there's just something not right with it, I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just seems strange that the style of email within Northern is so fluid and changes with every email. It also seems an unusually plain email style overall, espeically for what is a relatively large company.

I think you are over analysing these just a bit. Most email clients allow you to reply to an email using a different font style to normal to help distinguish in long threads of messages who has said what - in fact, MS Outlook has reply in blue text as one of the default options. Your sign off, or signature is setup once and will automatically add to the end of each message, this will usually be the same for all mails unless you set it to be other. The message format you describe is very possible indeed and by no means abnormal. My work email uses my full first name, yet in my signature I use a shortened version that people use to address me.
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
I think you are over analysing these just a bit. Most email clients allow you to reply to an email using a different font style to normal to help distinguish in long threads of messages who has said what - in fact, MS Outlook has reply in blue text as one of the default options. Your sign off, or signature is setup once and will automatically add to the end of each message, this will usually be the same for all mails unless you set it to be other. The message format you describe is very possible indeed and by no means abnormal.

But it is.
I am aware of how Outlook works with sign offs, having spent a fair amount of time working with it in my previous job.
It is the way the email is being sent that has been changed, with the name in the sign off sometimes being bold, sometimes not, and the emails going from being black text, to blue text, then to a mix of both.
 

NRWUser

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
7
Overall, there's just something not right with it, I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just seems strange that the style of email within Northern is so fluid and changes with every email. It also seems an unusually plain email style overall, espeically for what is a relatively large company.

If you're concerned, email the guy and ask him:

Peter.Myers@northernrail.org

Not sure he will reply however. But that's his address.

But personally, as someone who doubted the posters version of events, I don't believe the email is faked. I don't believe he would go to the trouble of doing such an elaborate faked email conversation. I think had Northern Rail told him to jog on, we'd have never heard from him again.

I believe for whatever reason that NR have accepted responsibility.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top