• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's happened to the cheap advances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supervc-10

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2012
Messages
763
So now that things are opening up again, I'm travelling more. Since the lifting of restrictions I've been completely unable to get any cheap advance fares. Normally this would be Avanti for Manchester-London, but I'm also planning a trip to Edinburgh at the end of the month and the advance offerings on TPE are only saving a fiver over the regular open return tickets. Normally pre-Covid I'd be able to get reasonably cheap tickets 2 weeks out but it seems like availability is very restricted, and weekends seem to be completely unavailable.

Is this some post-covid way to try to get increased ticket prices? Or reduced the amount sold to prevent overcrowding (despite advance tickets being reserved seating!)? Or have I just been unlucky with my timings?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

221129

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
6,515
Location
Sunny Scotland
So now that things are opening up again, I'm travelling more. Since the lifting of restrictions I've been completely unable to get any cheap advance fares. Normally this would be Avanti for Manchester-London, but I'm also planning a trip to Edinburgh at the end of the month and the advance offerings on TPE are only saving a fiver over the regular open return tickets. Normally pre-Covid I'd be able to get reasonably cheap tickets 2 weeks out but it seems like availability is very restricted, and weekends seem to be completely unavailable.

Is this some post-covid way to try to get increased ticket prices? Or reduced the amount sold to prevent overcrowding (despite advance tickets being reserved seating!)? Or have I just been unlucky with my timings?
These trains are busy. Probably all been sold.
 

87 027

Member
Joined
1 Sep 2010
Messages
735
Location
London
Like the OP I have noticed the disappearance of the cheaper advances on the Avanti London-Manchester route more recently. Even the LNWR alternative via Crewe isn't offering prices as low as in the spring. I am sorry to say that I have reverted to using the car for this journey as the timing is comparable (around 4 hours suburb to suburb) as each round trip would now cost me around double by train
 

realemil

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2021
Messages
471
Location
Glasgow
These trains are busy. Probably all been sold.
Exactly this, everybody wants to travel and get out and about - look a few months in advanced and you'll find bargains.

I found £5 advanced tickets for Queen Street - Aberdeen looking a month in advanced (granted it's a ScotRail and not TPE / AWC service)
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,781
Location
UK
Leisure traffic, particularly on mainlines like the WCML and ECML, has picked up massively. In certain areas there is now more demand than before Covid!

So it's no surprise that the cheapest Advances either aren't being released, or are limited in number and therefore snapped up long before the date of travel.
 

supervc-10

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2012
Messages
763
I'm unsure if they're any busier than they were before the pandemic though. They're a lot busier than they were in, say, May time, but they're no less busy than they were in October 2019.
I'm not expecting the £20 advance fares to be available a week before- but when either there is nothing available or it's only a few pounds cheaper a month in advance, it feels like something has changed!
 

XAM2175

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2016
Messages
3,471
Location
Glasgow
I'm unsure if they're any busier than they were before the pandemic though. They're a lot busier than they were in, say, May time, but they're no less busy than they were in October 2019.
On many lines though there are still fewer trains running than there were in October 2019.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,910
Avanti are still operating a reduced service, and many of their trains are selling out - even at times of the day / week you might not expect them too. It’s fair to say that the pricing you see reflects what the market is prepared to pay.

The leisure market nationwide is effectively back at pre Covid levels, although this does vary by route around the country.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,803
On many lines though there are still fewer trains running than there were in October 2019.
Yes, LNER and GWR still affected by the cracking problems on the trains, and most others by staffing problems of one sort or another - not just COVID but training backlogs and the like.
 

SHFTraveller

Member
Joined
6 Jun 2019
Messages
16
I've been keeping an eye on LNER fares, DON-KGX in particular and unless I've missed all of the cheaper advances I haven't been able to find instances of sub £73.50 for any train due to arrive into KGX before 9am Mon-Thu. Pre Pandemic I'm sure £49.50 was generally possible when booking greater than 5 Weeks out.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,311
Location
Bolton
The thing is that the trains at times that are unpopular with leisure travellers didn't used to be the cheap ones because they used to be able to charge significantly more for them. There's greater caution about lowering those prices thsn there is about raising the prices on previously less high yield trains, so some trains are very expensive and very empty. The trains at the times you're likely looking at for a weekend away will almost certainly genuinely be full, even at much higher rates than before the pandemic.

Manchester to Edinburgh trains can no longer have six or eight coaches as they used to, only five. Manchester to London is still seeing a very significant cut in capacity.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,642
Location
Merseyside
I do wonder to what extent the Book With Confidence scheme has effected availability of cheap advances. In a nut shell, it is possible to book Advances and get them refunded (as an e-voucher) up to 18.00 the day before travel. I wonder if this has caused Advances to be purchased "just in case." As cancellation only needs to be requested the night before travel, this availability is not actually being released back into the system.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,311
Location
Bolton
Like the OP I have noticed the disappearance of the cheaper advances on the Avanti London-Manchester route more recently. Even the LNWR alternative via Crewe isn't offering prices as low as in the spring. I am sorry to say that I have reverted to using the car for this journey as the timing is comparable (around 4 hours suburb to suburb) as each round trip would now cost me around double by train
The Super Off Peak Return at £35.00 and the Off Peak Return at £45.00 are still available from Manchester to London.

Kidsgrove or Stoke-on-Trent to London is also still available at £30.50 Super Off Peak Return and £43.00 Off Peak Return.

Obviously there were cheaper Advance tickets than that previously, but these aren't too bad.

There's an Off Peak Return from Manchester Airport, Manchester, Bolton and a handful of other places to Edinburgh on Avanti West Coast and Northern Only. This is £64.40 and probably cheaper than getting any Advance tickets.
 

extendedpaul

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
706
Location
Caerphilly and Kent
So now that things are opening up again, I'm travelling more. Since the lifting of restrictions I've been completely unable to get any cheap advance fares. Normally this would be Avanti for Manchester-London, but I'm also planning a trip to Edinburgh at the end of the month and the advance offerings on TPE are only saving a fiver over the regular open return tickets. Normally pre-Covid I'd be able to get reasonably cheap tickets 2 weeks out but it seems like availability is very restricted, and weekends seem to be completely unavailable.

Is this some post-covid way to try to get increased ticket prices? Or reduced the amount sold to prevent overcrowding (despite advance tickets being reserved seating!)? Or have I just been unlucky with my timings?
If you're prepared for a longer journey time from Manchester to London there's still a decent saving splitting at Crewe. Using the lowest tier advance tickets on Northern from Manchester to Crewe, and same on West Midlands Railway from Crewe to Euston, the total cost can be under £13.

My next journey with senior railcard from Euston to Manchester Piccadilly via Crewe is costing £8.40 (£6.10 + £2.30)
 

Andrew1395

Member
Joined
30 Sep 2014
Messages
666
Location
Bushey
If commuting and business travel fail to get back to pre covid levels, we may see a blurring of peak and off peak. You never know GBR may even result in fewer extremes between very high and very low prices.
 
Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,910
If commuting and business travel fail to get back to pre covid levels, we may see a blurring of peak and off peak. You never know GBR may even result in fewer extremes between very high and very low prices.
Quite likely in my opinion. Although even now, the peak is busier than off peak on most routes.
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,813
Avanti do still have cheap advances, and some are available relatively close to the date of travel. I got Edinburgh to Preston for under £15 four days before I travelled
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,311
Location
Bolton
Avanti do still have cheap advances, and some are available relatively close to the date of travel. I got Edinburgh to Preston for under £15 four days before I travelled
They're definitely more widely available for non-London.
 

williamn

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2008
Messages
1,694
The Super Off Peak Return at £35.00 and the Off Peak Return at £45.00 are still available from Manchester to London.

Kidsgrove or Stoke-on-Trent to London is also still available at £30.50 Super Off Peak Return and £43.00 Off Peak Return.

Obviously there were cheaper Advance tickets than that previously, but these aren't too bad.

There's an Off Peak Return from Manchester Airport, Manchester, Bolton and a handful of other places to Edinburgh on Avanti West Coast and Northern Only. This is £64.40 and probably cheaper than getting any Advance tickets.
It's super hard to get a booking engine to show that Super Off Peak return - the only place I found to tell me it existed was Train Split.

Using it today in fact!
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,311
Location
Bolton
It's super hard to get a booking engine to show that Super Off Peak return - the only place I found to tell me it existed was Train Split.

Using it today in fact!
Yes it's really tricky.

If not using trainsplit I ask for the ticket at the ticket office right before boarding. I've had success with this once I mention that I'd like the one that costs £35 return or £45 return as a relevant.
 

kieron

Established Member
Joined
22 Mar 2012
Messages
3,287
Location
Connah's Quay
It's super hard to get a booking engine to show that Super Off Peak return - the only place I found to tell me it existed was Train Split.
Quite a few web sites provide a way to search for specific tickets, so you shouldn't feel that you have to use any in particular. On tfwrail.wales (as an example), selecting "Click here to check if slower routes with cheaper tickets are available" takes you to a page where you can select a ticket and have the site look for trains you can use with it.

If you enter a one way journey, it will also let you search for bottom tier advance tickets.

Different web sites do things in different ways, but most of them have some way to find tickets like those ones.
 

williamn

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2008
Messages
1,694
Quite a few web sites provide a way to search for specific tickets, so you shouldn't feel that you have to use any in particular. On tfwrail.wales (as an example), selecting "Click here to check if slower routes with cheaper tickets are available" takes you to a page where you can select a ticket and have the site look for trains you can use with it.

If you enter a one way journey, it will also let you search for bottom tier advance tickets.

Different web sites do things in different ways, but most of them have some way to find tickets like those ones.
Yes I did try this but couldn't get any way for other sites (I tried LNER and London North Western) to show me the ticket. And I'm a relative railway spod, so how on earth is joe public going to find it?
 

Llandudno

Established Member
Joined
25 Dec 2014
Messages
2,750
Location
Matlock
Yes I did try this but couldn't get any way for other sites (I tried LNER and London North Western) to show me the ticket. And I'm a relative railway spod, so how on earth is joe public going to find it?
Perhaps it’s intentional that they don’t want the general public to find those elusive Advance tickets..!
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
If you're prepared for a longer journey time from Manchester to London there's still a decent saving splitting at Crewe. Using the lowest tier advance tickets on Northern from Manchester to Crewe, and same on West Midlands Railway from Crewe to Euston, the total cost can be under £13.

My next journey with senior railcard from Euston to Manchester Piccadilly via Crewe is costing £8.40 (£6.10 + £2.30)
Trainsplit should generally find these automatically (you may need to select cheap mode); other things that can force it would be to exclude Avanti from the search and/or force a change at Crewe, all of which are possible in the advanced options.
Yes I did try this but couldn't get any way for other sites (I tried LNER and London North Western) to show me the ticket. And I'm a relative railway spod, so how on earth is joe public going to find it?
I think a lot of price-conscious passengers are becoming aware of Trainsplit; I certainly spread the word when I can. It's not just for splitting but also good at finding slower itineraries.

(I think train companies in general feel that people should simply pay the higher price or not travel and have no real interest in growing the market or offering fares to people on a budget as they feel they are already filling many trains nicely and of course they have no real revenue risk any more as taxpayers will always foot the bill. That's a whole new topic in it's own right, though!)
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,803
Perhaps it’s intentional that they don’t want the general public to find those elusive Advance tickets..!
I think the problem is more that those who set the fares don’t have sufficient understanding of how booking engines work.
 

nanstallon

Member
Joined
18 Dec 2015
Messages
1,063
... (I think train companies in general feel that people should simply pay the higher price or not travel and have no real interest in growing the market or offering fares to people on a budget as they feel they are already filling many trains nicely and of course they have no real revenue risk any more as taxpayers will always foot the bill. That's a whole new topic in it's own right, though!)

Just like the old BR mentality - "I work for the government, I've got a job for life and the public can get stuffed'.
 

RT4038

Established Member
Joined
22 Feb 2014
Messages
5,459
(I think train companies in general feel that people should simply pay the higher price or not travel and have no real interest in growing the market or offering fares to people on a budget as they feel they are already filling many trains nicely and of course they have no real revenue risk any more as taxpayers will always foot the bill. That's a whole new topic in it's own right, though!)
There are also people to be found (both in and out of the industry) who believe that having different fares for the same journey (based on when you book and/or when you travel) is manifestly unfair.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top