Rod Harrison
Member
- Joined
- 15 Oct 2017
- Messages
- 121
I was wondering what long term effects there will be on the UK bus industry over the next few years. Initially I can see a huge drop in usage as many people will be reluctant to use any form of public transport. Maybe, the number of people working at home, which has been quite popular and very successful, will stay at quite high levels as companies, and people, will have adapted to it. I think that the big boys will come through it but maybe with smaller fleets but many smaller operators, and independents, will shut down as they won’t be able to operate on lower patronage. Also, local authorities may want to reduce subsidies as other areas will take priority (social care in particular). However, the government may surprise us all and keep subsidies at a high level. Curious about what forum members think although it is all speculation at this stage. Doubt though if it will ever be the same again!