However, as well as the HST replacement, I'd like to see them look into some 67-mk4-DVT sets with 3-4 coaches to work on the Liverpool-Norwich runs, that'd free up a lot of useful Class 158's. Also, given the route this service takes, it would be simple enough to get the 67's to Toton or Crewe for attention.
I can't believe that DB wouldn't be banging on the door of anyone who will listen to try and find some work for an otherwise doomed fleet of locos.
Of course, TPE are getting a dozen 397s for Liverpool & Manchester to Scotland, and nineteen AT300s for Liverpool-Leeds-Edinburgh. Which makes 31 trains that will spend most of their time on the high speed East Coast and West Coast routes.
There are (well, were) 31 Class 91s and matching rakes of stock designed to operate at high speed on the East Coast and West Coast routes. See where I'm going with this?
Nah, you'd have to electrify a busy, steeply-graded main line connecting the second and fourth largest, and most economically significant, urban areas in the United Kingdom to make that work. That's clearly not a sensible use of public funds.
By population, the Manchester urban area is larger than the West Midlands urban area. Manchester also contributes more value - about 2.5 times as much - to the economy than Birmingham.I never realised TPE had plans to serve Birmingham, England's (and the whole of the UK's) second largest city.
By population, the Manchester urban area is larger than the West Midlands urban area. Manchester also contributes more value - about 2.5 times as much - to the economy than Birmingham.
I think I see where you're going with it; but it's not quite what I meant. The way I see it, the 'Nova 3' (mark 5a) sets are 125mph capable but powered by a 100mph diesel class 68. If only the Transpennine wires promised a few years back could be delivered by 2020; you could then have the class 802s take over the Scarborough and Middlesbrough services, making use of the wires where they exist and firing up the diesel engines to get from Northallerton/York to Middlesbrough/Scarborough and use the mark 5s (with 91s as traction) on the Liverpool-Leeds-Edinburgh services. Wikipedia says that 14 of the class 68s are for TPE, so 14 or 15 class 91s could take over from that. If East Coast retained 10-11 IC225 sets (was it 9 diagrams VTEC were planning or 7?) and the Blackpool open access took 5-6 IC225s you would have found homes for all the class 91s and half the mark 4 sets (albeit in reduced formations).Of course, TPE are getting a dozen 397s for Liverpool & Manchester to Scotland, and nineteen AT300s for Liverpool-Leeds-Edinburgh. Which makes 31 trains that will spend most of their time on the high speed East Coast and West Coast routes.
There are (well, were) 31 Class 91s and matching rakes of stock designed to operate at high speed on the East Coast and West Coast routes. See where I'm going with this?
Nah, you'd have to electrify a busy, steeply-graded main line connecting the second and fourth largest, and most economically significant, urban areas in the United Kingdom to make that work. That's clearly not a sensible use of public funds.
Last loco (or possibly last passenger loco, not sure) built at Crewe works.Forgive my ignorance, but what is the significance of 91131?
... you would have found homes for all the class 91s and half the mark 4 sets (albeit in reduced formations).
We shouldn't need to find homes for them; the class 801 order should never have been placed (at least not in such quantity) since it was b..... obvious that there was little in the way of sensible alternative routes to cascade the IC225s too and from an energy/resource usage point of view replacing trains more often than necessary isn't sensible. I agree that by the time the wires are up, as I wrote in post 162, "TPE would probably just go straight for new locos" to replace the 68s rather than using 91s. Right now I just hope that the plan to keep some IC225s on the East Coast for Edinburgh fasts goes ahead, along with the use of IC225s on open-access Blackpool services. That'd use about half the fleet, with the other half of the 91s sadly suffering a premature death.We don’t need to find homes for all the Class 91s, if any. If TPE electrification is ever completed, some sort of upgraded Class 88 would be far more viable.
We shouldn't need to find homes for them; the class 801 order should never have been placed (at least not in such quantity) since it was b..... obvious that there was little in the way of sensible alternative routes to cascade the IC225s too and from an energy/resource usage point of view replacing trains more often than necessary isn't sensible.
... with the other half of the 91s sadly suffering a premature death.
HST is the name of the whole train, so a power car update with the existing Mk3s wouldn’t be ‘entirely new’.Interesting that in the 1981 BR report on expected lifespans for rolling stock, they rated the HST power cars at 25 years but hauled stock at 35-40 years.
Had privatisation not happened, I wonder if rather than just a retractioning of the existing power cars, we would have seen an entirely new 'HST2' designed to work with the existing mk3's? Maybe a single ended Class 67 variant, which I believe Virgin were looking at for Cross Country at some point - though I think that was with new stock as a Voyager alternative (if only that one had come off!)
Class 91s in Huddersfield? Just where do you get this rubbish from pal?If only the Transpennine wires promised a few years back could be delivered by 2020; you could then have the class 802s take over the Scarborough and Middlesbrough services, making use of the wires where they exist and firing up the diesel engines to get from Northallerton/York to Middlesbrough/Scarborough and use the mark 5s (with 91s as traction) on the Liverpool-Leeds-Edinburgh services. Wikipedia says that 14 of the class 68s are for TPE, so 14 or 15 class 91s could take over from that.
HST is the name of the whole train, so a power car update with the existing Mk3s wouldn’t be ‘entirely new’.
But wasn’t there a plan for at least a GW HST2 including new coaches at one time anyway, before DfT imposed the IEP solution?
To some extent, the IC225 sets are HST2, in my opinion..
Again:Class 91s in Huddersfield? Just where do you get this rubbish from pal?![]()
I am perfectly aware that particular suggestion is not a realistic proposal given that TPE electrification won't happen in the necessary timeframe. I can't see there being any problem with using class 91s on the TPE services if the wires were there, but they aren't. So back to the topic; can we keep some IC225s on the East Coast for fast Kings Cross - Edinburgh services please.as I wrote in post 162, "TPE would probably just go straight for new locos" to replace the 68s rather than using 91s.
We shouldn't need to find homes for them; the class 801 order should never have been placed (at least not in such quantity) since it was b..... obvious that there was little in the way of sensible alternative routes to cascade the IC225s too and from an energy/resource usage point of view replacing trains more often than necessary isn't sensible. I agree that by the time the wires are up, as I wrote in post 162, "TPE would probably just go straight for new locos" to replace the 68s rather than using 91s. Right now I just hope that the plan to keep some IC225s on the East Coast for Edinburgh fasts goes ahead, along with the use of IC225s on open-access Blackpool services. That'd use about half the fleet, with the other half of the 91s sadly suffering a premature death.
I am far more interested in the railway as it is today and how it will be in the future and how it can serve as many people as possible as efficiently as possible.
We don’t need to find homes for all the Class 91s, if any. If TPE electrification is ever completed, some sort of upgraded Class 88 would be far more viable.
We shouldn't need to find homes for them; the class 801 order should never have been placed (at least not in such quantity) since it was b..... obvious that there was little in the way of sensible alternative routes to cascade the IC225s too and from an energy/resource usage point of view replacing trains more often than necessary isn't sensible. I agree that by the time the wires are up, as I wrote in post 162, "TPE would probably just go straight for new locos" to replace the 68s rather than using 91s. Right now I just hope that the plan to keep some IC225s on the East Coast for Edinburgh fasts goes ahead, along with the use of IC225s on open-access Blackpool services. That'd use about half the fleet, with the other half of the 91s sadly suffering a premature death.
Class 91s in Huddersfield? Just where do you get this rubbish from pal?![]()
That's the thing though, are you talking about them as they were or as they are? Great piece of engineering in their day, but that day is drawing to a close. The last few mk3 carriages I've been on were very rough riding and squeaky as hell. I know that those for Scotrail and Gwr are being worked on, but in their present state they're not fantastic.As a passenger, if they come up with anything as comfortable as the HST, I will agree with you.
I don't see why the age should be a factor. Reliability perhaps, but that can be improved by replacing the unreliable components (and reliability is surely largely a product of maintenance). Age? Switzerland seem happy enough with a bunch of 60 year old locomotives for LHCS. And the main backbone of the Swiss network is the 30 year old Re 460, which is being lightly refurbed for another 20-30 years of service. Age has nothing to do with it.They are 30 years old with questionable reliability and have had a hard life. They need replacing, the 'celebrity' loco will be preserved, but the rest should and almost certainly will be scrapped.
The whole tenor of this conversation is arse about face. The question is (or should) be what rolling stock does Y route need, not how can we try and crowbar our favourite pieces of rolling stock onto the network regardless of whether it is fit for purpose? On a broader level it really rips my knitting that there seems to be a view that to be an 'enthusiast' you have to want to slavishly preserve dated rolling stock and treat the network like a massive preservation project. I am far more interested in the railway as it is today and how it will be in the future and how it can serve as many people as possible as efficiently as possible.
I don't see why the age should be a factor. Reliability perhaps, but that can be improved by replacing the unreliable components (and reliability is surely largely a product of maintenance). Age? Switzerland seem happy enough with a bunch of 60 year old locomotives for LHCS. And the main backbone of the Swiss network is the 30 year old Re 460, which is being lightly refurbed for another 20-30 years of service. Age has nothing to do with it.
And don't get me started on the actual coaches -they have tons of single-deck coaches from the 80s (older coaches are being removed ASAP due to lack of air conditioning, but they're otherwise perfectly usable). They're likely to disappear in the next 10-20 years just because it's easier to standardise on double-deck trains for domestic trains, but they have plenty of life left in them.
Doing proper maintenance in the country (such that you can keep using stock that long) also has economic benefits for the country - more local jobs (with good pay usually), and seemingly lower costs.
That's the thing though, are you talking about them as they were or as they are? Great piece of engineering in their day, but that day is drawing to a close. The last few mk3 carriages I've been on were very rough riding and squeaky as hell. I know that those for Scotrail and Gwr are being worked on, but in their present state they're not fantastic.
I'm all for trains being fit for purpose. See all the topics where I have complained at class 170s, 185s etc. being used on long-distance limited-stop services such as Cardiff-Nottingham. The 170s are not, in my opinion, fit-for-purpose on such services.The question is (or should) be what rolling stock does Y route need, not how can we try and crowbar our favourite pieces of rolling stock onto the network regardless of whether it is fit for purpose? On a broader level it really rips my knitting that there seems to be a view that to be an 'enthusiast' you have to want to slavishly preserve dated rolling stock and treat the network like a massive preservation project. I am far more interested in the railway as it is today and how it will be in the future and how it can serve as many people as possible as efficiently as possible.
The 'Golden Spanner' results presented in the Jan 2017 and Jan 2018 issues of 'Modern Railways' both show the IC225s in green, meaning improved reliability (albeit by a fair bit less than some of the other intercity fleets). While they are behind the other electric fleets, the fact reliability is improving suggests they haven't reached the end of the bathtub curve yet, and they are more reliable than several diesel fleets including GWR's IC125s and (this year) all the class 180s.They are 30 years old with questionable reliability and have had a hard life. They need replacing
Those Modern Railways 'Golden Spanner' results present a good example of this; the most reliable intercity fleet (and still improving) in both years was Greater Anglia's class 90 + mark 3 sets on the London-Norwich route. The class 90s I believe are a similar age to the class 91s and the mark 3 DVTs are at least as old as the mark 4s. See also the Ex-BR DMU table, where class 158s are in both the top three and the bottom three fleets, with a much bigger difference between them than there is between class 390s and IC225s.I don't see why the age should be a factor. Reliability perhaps, but that can be improved by replacing the unreliable components (and reliability is surely largely a product of maintenance). Age? Switzerland seem happy enough with a bunch of 60 year old locomotives for LHCS. And the main backbone of the Swiss network is the 30 year old Re 460, which is being lightly refurbed for another 20-30 years of service. Age has nothing to do with it.
I agree, particularly in respect of the lower overall costs of replacing less often (in terms of energy use and resources as well as financially). I think the only rolling stock I would consider scrapping before getting a full 30-40 years out of them would be Voyager driving vehicles. This would be to make the intermediate coaches available for lengthening other sets given that, in their current short formations, there are not many routes where they would be fit-for-purpose. The alternatives are building more intermediate vehicles for them or running them in pairs.Doing proper maintenance in the country (such that you can keep using stock that long) also has economic benefits for the country - more local jobs (with good pay usually), and seemingly lower costs.
We will have to agree to disagree on that. Obviously I appreciate the HST is an iconic design and was superbly well marketed by BR and on balance I'm glad that they'll be revitalised by Scotrail, but I've never found the mk3 to be the be all and end all in terms of comfort and ambiance, especially once fgw set about the interiors. On the MML I don't find them appreciably better than the Meridians.As they are. The MML is for me by far the most comfortable way to get from London to Yorkshire, due to the design of the carriage interiors.
A push-pull set with a 125-140mph electric locomotive on one end, a driving trailer at the other and a good number of trailer coaches in between seems to me to be perfectly suited to London-Edinburgh services that call only at York and Newcastle. They would not be fit-for-purpose on a route like Paddington-Oxford with a relatively short distances between stops, thus I haven't suggested 'crowbarring' them onto such routes. I seem to recall that in the past, probably shortly before the IEP order was placed, pepole on this forum suggested that the IC225s be moved to the London-Norwich route and that I responded to that saying that if the mark 4s
I think the only rolling stock I would consider scrapping before getting a full 30-40 years out of them would be Voyager driving vehicles.
I'm a huge fan of the class 91s yes, but in preservation terms I would be content with two locos and (if one of them is kept operational for railtours) one set of mark 4s (as long as those two locos are numbers 10 (speed record holder) and 31 (last loco built at Crewe)). Part of me would like six locos preserved (the other four being selected due to names they once carried), but I know that is completely unrealistic so will try only to worry about those two.
To save the issue of needing to preserve two locos, couldn't the last loco built in Crewe just run a few high speed attempts so as to try and get that accolade?
We will have to agree to disagree on that. Obviously I appreciate the HST is an iconic design and was superbly well marketed by BR and on balance I'm glad that they'll be revitalised by Scotrail, but I've never found the mk3 to be the be all and end all in terms of comfort and ambiance, especially once fgw set about the interiors. On the MML I don't find them appreciably better than the Meridians.