Egg Centric
Established Member
It is my understanding that it was technically possible for 1st gen DMUs of the same multiple working code to inter operate, even if one was hydraulic transmission and one was mechanical, and indeed this was done for a while. Unfortunately several drivers “forgot”, didn’t change gear, seized the engines of the mechanical rail car and so it was prohibited.
As an occasional driver of the astonishingly good and highly recommend nieche piece of software known as diesel rail car simulator I understand how in an informal devil may care environment this could happen all the time.
However - the railway even back then wasn’t exactly devil may care. I assume this was an obvious risk and there were procedures back then which mostly (but not successfully enough!) avoided this occurring - what were they?
As an occasional driver of the astonishingly good and highly recommend nieche piece of software known as diesel rail car simulator I understand how in an informal devil may care environment this could happen all the time.
However - the railway even back then wasn’t exactly devil may care. I assume this was an obvious risk and there were procedures back then which mostly (but not successfully enough!) avoided this occurring - what were they?