• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What were the 1955 Modernisation Plan Marshalling Yards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
19 Apr 2019
Messages
25
I remember there being a hump marshalling yard either side of the GE mainline between Goodmayes and Chadwell Heath in the early 1970s.
 

coppercapped

Established Member
Joined
13 Sep 2015
Messages
3,334
Location
Reading
Wonderful tale and thank you.

SNIP
Thank you.

I am glad that I had the opportunity to hear him. After his falling out with the Raymond and Castle way of doing things, as presented in the press he seemed to be somewhat larger than life! He was only the second person in the public eye that I had seen - the first was Edmund Hilary at a book signing when I was still in grey flannel shorts!

Wow! These people really existed...
 

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2014
Messages
3,271
When I was at Hornsey, we had an Area Manager who, although a good railwayman, had his own ways, shall we say. He was taking a BRB party round KX power box in the mid 1980’s and he berated the supervisor for not calling him “Mister” X.

The supervisor fixed his eyes on him and replied, “Nah then Guv’nor, there’s only been two Misters on this railway - one was Mr Gresley, the other was Mr Fiennes!”.

When I moved to the Oak, one old hand told me of the day the lifts failed at Paddington WR HQ and his arthritic secretary couldn’t do the stairs. He (he was GM WR at the time) went down there and carried her up himself - he was that kind of bloke and that is what endeared him to staff, even long after he left BR.
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,308
When I moved to the Oak, one old hand told me of the day the lifts failed at Paddington WR HQ and his arthritic secretary couldn’t do the stairs. He (he was GM WR at the time) went down there and carried her up himself - he was that kind of bloke and that is what endeared him to staff, even long after he left BR.
Wasn't Fiennes' secretary actually disabled? I believe he took her with him through his various London-based top jobs, which caused considerable upset among the established secretaries in the offices.

His style (oh how we could do with it now) showed in a proposal to retime a key express to arrive later because it was regularly being delayed by a late-running local ahead. He turned it down flat, saying "the answer is not to retime the express to later, the answer is to make the local run on time. Do it ...".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top