• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What was this signalbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western 52

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2020
Messages
1,672
Location
Burry Port
About 40 years ago I took the attached photo of a derelict signalbox located near Splott junction in Cardiff. At the time I recorded it as Splott Junction box, but on line I can't find reference to it. Does anyone know what this box was? There were derelict signals in the area too.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20250228_094317_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20250228_094317_OneDrive.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 63
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
Difficult to be certain. I think it may North East Junction, closed May 1980, which was down by Roath Dock. However, it could be Docks Storage South, closed October 1978; Docks Storage North is less likely as it was closed December 1973. North East Junction is recorded as having brickwork added, which is what appears to be the case here. Docks Storage North also had extra brickwork, but it is not recorded for Storage South, although that might be lack of records.
 

Western 52

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2020
Messages
1,672
Location
Burry Port
The name North East Junction rings a bell for some reason, but I can't find a photo online to check. I guess the additional brickwork would have been a wartime strengthening measure?
 

Adrian Barr

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2020
Messages
805
Location
Doncaster

Western 52

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2020
Messages
1,672
Location
Burry Port
Yes that is certainly the same one! Location problem solved, many thanks for the replies. My shot was taken about 1985 so it had deteriorated a lot in the 5 years since it closed. Probably a target for vandals.
 

Adrian Barr

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2020
Messages
805
Location
Doncaster
To be more specific, both photos must have been taken from the bend on "Clipper Road" near EMR Cardiff, looking towards Splott Junction with the Eastern Bay Link Road in the background. The rusty rails in the foreground lead into the EMR scrapyard (which used to take scrap from Exeter a few years back) with the other track leading to the Castle Works of Celsa (Cardiff Rod Mill).

The two tracks are visible on the right in this 2019 picture (taken from the link road), with the 08 heading to Castle Works:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/turners_pics/48067454877/

The tree above the first wagon in that picture can be seen above the last wagon in this picture, which is looking towards Castle Works from Ocean Way above Splott Junction itself (track from the docks coming in bottom left). Same long blue shed in both pictures - I think the older building at the right of the 1991 picture has gone. https://www.flickr.com/photos/turners_pics/48067400998/

I spent ages finding pictures of Cardiff Tidal / Celsa / docks when compiling this 2022 post about Cardiff Celsa operations and the docks:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/timetable-for-cardiff-celsa-trips.256361/post-6498211

It covered contemporary operations, but I'd be interested to know more about the historical purpose of the junction - I thought it was purely a siding there, but looking at a map, it presumably accessed the north part of Roath Dock at some point (with current rail loading of steel slab taking place on the other side of the dock).
 

Rescars

Established Member
Joined
25 May 2021
Messages
2,584
Location
Surrey
Difficult to be certain. I think it may North East Junction, closed May 1980, which was down by Roath Dock. However, it could be Docks Storage South, closed October 1978; Docks Storage North is less likely as it was closed December 1973. North East Junction is recorded as having brickwork added, which is what appears to be the case here. Docks Storage North also had extra brickwork, but it is not recorded for Storage South, although that might be lack of records.
"Docks Storage South". Oh the poetry of GWR signal box names! :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top