• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What unusual answerphone messages have you come across?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
I missed a couple of phone calls from Transport for London earlier. When I rang the number back from my mobile phone, I got the automated message:
You have recently received a call from Transport for London. Please replace your handset. Thank you.

I'd love to know how one replaces their handset on a mobile. It also doesn't tell you what you do about the call you recently received and missed.

I do actually understand what get are getting, before anyone questions my ability to understand the message, so this isn't complaint. I just thought it an unusual message in this modern age.

I imagine very early mobile phones may have had a handset but I certainly never owned one if they did. My parents wouldn't have been able to afford it.

Which leads me to the question, what other unusual answerphone messages have people heard?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jona26

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2013
Messages
273
Location
West Sussex
Thank you for calling Sea World. We can't answer your call right now so please leave a message. Your call may be used for training porpoises.

Or how about...

Hi you've reached the voicemail of Gladys Knight. Please leave your message after the Pips.

I'll get my coat....
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Thank you for calling Sea World. We can't answer your call right now so please leave a message. Your call may be used for training porpoises.

Or how about...

Hi you've reached the voicemail of Gladys Knight. Please leave your message after the Pips.

I'll get my coat....
I like it.

I know Peter Cook had an answerphone message with a crowd cheering after he announced himself. That was in the days when mobiles didn't exist or just about did
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
T
Hi you've reached the voicemail of Gladys Knight. Please leave your message after the Pips.
Reminds me of this cartoon from Viz, years ago:
viz-the-pips.jpg
 

LWB

Member
Joined
31 Dec 2009
Messages
245
True story,1976, tracking down an important delivery with a number my secretary had given me.

"Welcome to International Express Embalming Company. Please hold the line whilst...."
With a mixture of shock and horror I hung up rather quickly. After two more re-dials I checked with my secretary exactly who I was dialling. The brummy accented voice was for International Express in Birmingham!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top