• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What train run on the Brighton - London Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudes

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2012
Messages
25
It is my first day on my new commute. I got the 8:15 in and it was a joy. I am on the 18:00 home. I got a seat but only just, it is a packed train full of people eating and talking on their phones. Confortable train though. It beats my old commute by miles.

Those FCC trains to Brighton from Bedford during the day suck though they must be decades old. At least it is just 10 mins to Brighton so who cares.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

neilm

Member
Joined
3 Jan 2012
Messages
501
Late this morning! The trains are very quiet at the moment because of the summer and Olympics I don't think you will get a seat on the 17;59 unless you get there early but the 18:12 is right behind it anyway.
 

Dudes

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2012
Messages
25
The trains with express written on the sides are great. Does anyone know how i can travel on these. I don't mind changing too much especially if it is early on.
 

neilm

Member
Joined
3 Jan 2012
Messages
501
You can get the train from Brighton to london bridge it leaves haywards Heath at 7:55 I assume it stops at hassocks or get the 8:04 from haywards Heath - it comes from eastbound coming home you can get the 17:59 to Brighton or get the 18:23 and change at haywards Heath, these are all the 442 'express' trains to London bridge.
 

Dudes

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2012
Messages
25
Having spent three weeks commuting from hassocks I now know that the 422 express is the king of the london to Brighton line. The 319 is the poorper.
 

badzena

Member
Joined
19 Jul 2009
Messages
18
I love that the type of rolling stock would be a factor in deciding which town to live in. :D

Though I suppose as transport is an important factor, perhaps comfort is important too?
 

Evvy73

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2009
Messages
151
Location
Mid-Sussex
Hey Dudes,

I hope you are enjoying life in Hassocks - it has certainly been a bit 'lively' (by Hassock's standards!) over the last couple of weeks with the ram raid at Barclays and the Murder near London Road! :o
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Macclesfield
Those FCC trains to Brighton from Bedford during the day suck though they must be decades old. At least it is just 10 mins to Brighton so who cares.
It's not so much the age of the FCC 319s that is the problem: They're a similar age to the 442s now branded for the "Gatwick Express" services. It's more the fact that nothing (or at least, very little) has been done to their interiors since they were new, and their standard of upkeep by FCC seems to be very poor.
 

Evvy73

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2009
Messages
151
Location
Mid-Sussex
I agree with this - the thing is they could be ok - I caught one of the old Southern 2x2 airplane style interior ones last night, where FCC had re-clothed the seats and it was a very comfortable journey.

The seats are at a decent height and there is sufficient leg room (even for someone like me at 6'), plus in most cases there arm rests.

Unfortunately the majority of 319's still have the low, cramped 3x2 seating making the journey un-enjoyable.
 

pitdiver

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2012
Messages
1,292
Location
Warsop Vale
I live on the Bedford to St Pancras and all I can say is that the 319's should be scrapped. Worn out and as others have said FCC have done nothing to improve them. To think I have applied for two jobs with FCC in the past both unsuccessful.

Not experienced enough for a Customer service assistant or a train cleaner! Spent 16 years with LUL and also worked as a hospital cleaner.
Perhaps the Job God was on my side.
 

Dudes

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2012
Messages
25
I do love hassocks. There was a helicopter searching for kids on the school roof recently. It Ooss like an episode of the wire living here.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top