• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What to wear for OPC day

Status
Not open for further replies.

dommo88

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2021
Messages
27
Location
Watford
As above really. I have an OPC day coming up and it states wear smart clothing. From anyone that’s done it, did you wear a suit or just smart ‘office’ type attire? Asking as my suit trousers are now a bit large and would need to get them taken in if I’m wearing it!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

iSquared

Member
Joined
26 Nov 2021
Messages
28
You’re applying for a job. You’re competing against a lot of people, most of whom will wear a suit. You’ll have an interview (MMI) with a person and you want them to know you’re taking it seriously.

It’s a judgement call. I know what I did.
 

Bn98

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2020
Messages
58
Location
Peterborough
Helpful comments so far... Not.

Has to be a balance of what feels most comfortable and suitable. I would say a suit is frankly overkill.
If you feel more comfortable in a suit go for it. But smart trousers, a shirt and a jumper is absolutely fine so long as you look presentable.

Depending on the schedule you will be sat for a long period of time focusing on either paper or computer based activities. A suit isnt going to be conducive to comfort and therefore focus. That said if you have MMI on the same day perhaps you want to go to the smarter end of the scale, even then I wouldn't say a suit is required. Look smart and presentable and you won't have an issue.

Believe it or not you aren't being assessed on your dress sense... (That being said of course image is a huge part of any interview).

Bottom line, be smart and tidy but also comfortable.
 

Red-Ahead

Member
Joined
29 Mar 2022
Messages
7
Location
UK
I’d recommend a suit. I did to mine and there were representatives there from the TOC in question- don’t forget first impressions count!

They’re far more likely to focus on people in non-formal clothing than they are those who’ve made an effort and are wearing smart attire. Good luck!
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
You’re applying for a job. You’re competing against a lot of people, most of whom will wear a suit. You’ll have an interview (MMI) with a person and you want them to know you’re taking it seriously.

It’s a judgement call. I know what I did.

Fully agree with this.

You’ll never be criticised for looking smart/wearing a suit. You might be criticised for “smart casual” if your definition of it differs from the person interviewing you.
 

NorthernTech

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2021
Messages
744
Location
Uk
It says ‘wear smart clothing’. The job and tests rely on your adherence to rules, and if that is what they have stated then that’s exactly what you should do. It doesn’t say smart casual, or casual, so I’d say go with a suit. When I did mine with a company, theirs said smart casual. Had it said smart, I’d have worn a full suit.
 

nb2001uk

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2020
Messages
254
Location
London, Greater London
Fully agree with this.

You’ll never be criticised for looking smart/wearing a suit. You might be criticised for “smart casual” if your definition of it differs from the person interviewing you.

I’d recommend a suit. I did to mine and there were representatives there from the TOC in question- don’t forget first impressions count!

They’re far more likely to focus on people in non-formal clothing than they are those who’ve made an effort and are wearing smart attire. Good luck!

you're not competing with anyone because its the psychometrics you either pass or fail. A suit isn't necessary, I didn't wear a suit and managed to pass to enhanced standard. Wearing a suit is not gonna make you pass the GBT etc or give you any other power.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

It says ‘wear smart clothing’. The job and tests rely on your adherence to rules, and if that is what they have stated then that’s exactly what you should do. It doesn’t say smart casual, or casual, so I’d say go with a suit. When I did mine with a company, theirs said smart casual. Had it said smart, I’d have worn a full suit.
OPC are not the employers though
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
you're not competing with anyone because its the psychometrics you either pass or fail. A suit isn't necessary, I didn't wear a suit and managed to pass to enhanced standard. Wearing a suit is not gonna make you pass the GBT etc or give you any other power.

I disagree. The OP asked for views, I gave mine.
 

MattyL

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2020
Messages
48
Location
Ware
I wore chinos, shirt & a blazer whilst taking the tests, for the MMI i also wore a tie. I'm glad i didn't wear the tie all day as wearing that & a mask (at the time) would have been too uncomfortable. You need to be comfortable and relaxed. I passed my tests & MMI so I'd say a full suit isn't required as long as you are smart.
 

nb2001uk

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2020
Messages
254
Location
London, Greater London
I wore chinos, shirt & a blazer whilst taking the tests, for the MMI i also wore a tie. I'm glad i didn't wear the tie all day as wearing that & a mask (at the time) would have been too uncomfortable. You need to be comfortable and relaxed. I passed my tests & MMI so I'd say a full suit isn't required as long as you are smart.
Aye.
 

NorthernTech

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2021
Messages
744
Location
Uk
you're not competing with anyone because its the psychometrics you either pass or fail. A suit isn't necessary, I didn't wear a suit and managed to pass to enhanced standard. Wearing a suit is not gonna make you pass the GBT etc or give you any other power.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


OPC are not the employers though
If the opc send out instructions, and part of those instructions are a dress code, if you want to pass I’d say go with the instructions rather than against it. Maybe there is part of the mmi that is graded on this? Who knows, but they have stated the dress code for a reason, else they wouldn’t have put anything. It’s not difficult to just dress correctly.
 

Bn98

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2020
Messages
58
Location
Peterborough
For potential train drivers this is one hell of a snarky thread... HR do check things like this - just floating that out there! :lol:

Be kind...
 

TheGoldfish

Member
Joined
28 May 2019
Messages
197
Personally I wore a suit to every stage including the medical … others were in tee shirts and jeans .. probably didn’t make much difference tbh but when some of them saw others in suits you could tell I it put them at ill ease Thinking they should have too ..so not good for their nerves before the tests even stated . i always think you never know who’ll you will meet from the toc and if these people are involved in later stages with you maybe they’ll remember meeting you the first tim……

as I say personal choice and do what yr comfortable with as there will be mix of smart. And casual people on the day
 

Shunted

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2021
Messages
156
Location
Leicester
Smart casual is all you need, no need for a full on suit but at the same time ripped jeans probably not the best idea!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Definitely suit for DMI though
 

T-Karmel

Member
Joined
20 Mar 2010
Messages
399
Location
London
Some say wear whatever cause it's just The OPC and they won't be interviewing you for the job (I'm not talking MMI/CBI) but one of the assessment days I had was in fact in the company's HQ. You're walking around people from HR and perhaps managers who will interview you at later stage.
Even for the purpose of MMI I'd rather look smart and respectful to my interviewer.

And well, I could also say wear whatever you want. And that's because I wanted to wear full suit to all OPC days and interviews, as well as when I started any job, before we were issued with uniform. And I know it worked for me everytime I heard "Looking smart, well done for an effort!" from managers.
 

Carl98k

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2020
Messages
313
Location
Plymouth
I did my assessments during covid. The instructions said smart casual, I wore dark none ripped jeans and a polo shirt. The tester said well done everyone for coming in smart.

My MMI was done at a later date, for that I wore a full suit as this is effectively the job interview. If I was having the MMI on the same day I’d have gone for the suit.
 

Haru

Member
Joined
21 Nov 2019
Messages
112
Location
Bristol
If you do go smart please ensure that you have decently polished shoes, no point looking the part only for your shoes to let you down.
 

Ducatist4

On Moderation
Joined
29 Apr 2019
Messages
988
Location
Mansfield
You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Easy to whip the tie and jacket off if you feel it’s not needed, not so easy to put them on if you find everyone else has turned up in a suit and you’ve left yours at home.
 

L401CJF

Established Member
Joined
16 Oct 2019
Messages
1,486
Location
Wirral
When I sat both the paper test session and computer test/MMI session I wore smart black trousers (not suit style, they were chino type from memory) with a shirt and tie and a jumper.

I did pass them all so mustn't have been to casual!
 

sargentsiri

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2018
Messages
72
Shirt, tie, trousers & shoes for me.

Completed at Watford & the kind chap taking it on the day suggested we removed our ties & kept us all relaxed.

Always go suited & booted unless told otherwise - best of luck
 

choochoochoo

Established Member
Joined
6 Aug 2013
Messages
1,318
I've asked OPC about this when they had a Q&A session once. They don't expect suit and tie for smart wear. Smart shirt/blouse and trousers is sufficient. However, turning up in a hoodie and white trainers will not look good. Wear smart but comfortable for you to perform at your best in the tests.

Definitely suited and booted for the DMI though.
 

LCC106

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2011
Messages
1,493
I echo that it is easy to whip off the tie and jacket for the tests… You’ll already have made a first impression by then. Hope it goes well.
 

Seejwalker

Member
Joined
13 Oct 2018
Messages
562
Absolutely wear a suit. It’s always better to be overdressed than underdressed.
It also shows you’re taking the process seriously.
 

Red-Ahead

Member
Joined
29 Mar 2022
Messages
7
Location
UK
you're not competing with anyone because its the psychometrics you either pass or fail. A suit isn't necessary, I didn't wear a suit and managed to pass to enhanced standard. Wearing a suit is not gonna make you pass the GBT etc or give you any other power.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


OPC are not the employers though
I think if you are committed to this and want to put the effort in, wearing smart attire is the very least you can do.

No, the OPC may not have specific requirements as for what to wear, but how hard is it to throw a shirt and tie on? Start as you mean to go on.
 

John Bishop

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2018
Messages
653
Location
Perth
I think if you are committed to this and want to put the effort in, wearing smart attire is the very least you can do.

No, the OPC may not have specific requirements as for what to wear, but how hard is it to throw a shirt and tie on? Start as you mean to go on.
Agreed.
on my assessment day, every single person was suited and booted and personally, I didn’t find it hampered my performance in any way.
 

BigChip90

Member
Joined
19 May 2021
Messages
36
Location
Nottingham
I personally didn’t wear a suit to any process of my application.

My assessment day was with the company itself, I went smart casual, the email did state smart casual. I got told I looked like a school teacher. :lol:

For my DMI I swapped the smart jeans for suit trousers.

For my medical I went in my work gear…I was a joiner by trade so you can imagine what I looked like. I had no issues what so ever, no one will turn you down because you aren’t suited and booted. Just look smart.:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top