• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What to do with unused, shaded, garden space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,941
Location
Gwynedd
We have some garden space (around 2x2.5m, haven't measured it yet).

It's completely shaded.

It's also a bit of a trick to get to as have to go through a shed to get to it (could change this, but won't for other reasons).

I'm considering a water butt, but I don't really need a 2m diameter water butt so will still have loads of space.

I'm thinking maybe making a couple of raised beds and growing herbs and some leefy veg.

Is there anything I'm not thinking of which could be handy?

The previous owners used it to dump birch cuttings, exercise equipment, and kids' bikes they don't want, so I've had a fun day of it clearing that out. Seems a shame to waste the space.

The alternative is extending the shed. Arguably we could do with the space. Or at least, I can always find more tools to fill the space for that one project which will never happen! :D
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

frankmoh

On Moderation
Joined
7 May 2025
Messages
826
Location
London
I would probably do the same as you, plant... plants! Ones that work in shady areas.
 

Acey

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2018
Messages
431
Fill it with Hostas /Ferns/Bugles ( Ajuga ) and other shade loving plants and create a cool shady retreat ! That's what I 'm doing with my shady spot,not finished yet !
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20250618_141954.jpg
    IMG_20250618_141954.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20250708_102048.jpg
    IMG_20250708_102048.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 19

LYradial

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2024
Messages
333
Location
welsh marches
Hostas can be usefull, actually like shade you just need a few slug pellets, there are some very interesting shades of leaves and small to very big plants.

i can’t upload a photo it’s too large

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

try againIMG_0991.jpegIMG_0991.jpeg
 
Last edited:

cb a1

Member
Joined
9 Mar 2015
Messages
462
Pond with ferns, hostas, etc. around it. Leave it as quiet as you can. Great bit of biodiversity space.
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,342
If you get a lot of rain, the area is liable to get overgrown with moss. You cpuld create a small garden pond, but if the shade is friom trees, you would need to remove lots of dead leaves every autumn. Or, as suggested above, you could grow shade-tolerant vegetables or decorative plants.

If you search the BBC gardeners question time website, you should be able to find plenty of other suggestions

 

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,356
If we are going to get much more of this weather ("Scorchio!") how about tidying it up to make a cool & shady secluded sitting area?

Maybe even sling a hammock for when the house is too hot to sleep in?
 

dcbwhaley

On Moderation
Joined
4 Aug 2018
Messages
838
We have some garden space (around 2x2.5m, haven't measured it yet).

It's completely shaded.

It's also a bit of a trick to get to as have to go through a shed to get to it (could change this, but won't for other reasons).

I'm considering a water butt, but I don't really need a 2m diameter water butt so will still have loads of space.

I'm thinking maybe making a couple of raised beds and growing herbs and some leefy veg.

Is there anything I'm not thinking of which could be handy?

The previous owners used it to dump birch cuttings, exercise equipment, and kids' bikes they don't want, so I've had a fun day of it clearing that out. Seems a shame to waste the space.

The alternative is extending the shed. Arguably we could do with the space. Or at least, I can always find more tools to fill the space for that one project which will never happen! :D
A seat. Sitting in the shade is better than sitting in the sun
 

dangie

On Moderation
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
2,353
Location
Rugeley Staffordshire
….Maybe even sling a hammock for when the house is too hot to sleep in?
Actually not a bad idea. One of my ex-workmates at the power station was previously in the Royal Navy. When he was on night shift when he got home in the morning he often slept in a hammock in the garden. Reminded him of his navy days.
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,941
Location
Gwynedd
Thank you for all the suggestions! Some good inspiration!

I think we are going to go with getting some nice paving in, a water butt, a couple of hostas and a raised bed for a sort of herb garden. Will get a couple of seats so we can sit and enjoy the peace, as it's pretty seculuded and noise-protected.

I do already have a couple of hammock I use for camping which isn't a bad shout for something to lie down and read a book in - once everything else is in place I'll see how the hammock would sit corner to corner :)
 

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,356
I think we are going to go with getting some nice paving in, a water butt, a couple of hostas and a raised bed for a sort of herb garden. Will get a couple of seats so we can sit and enjoy the peace, as it's pretty seculuded and noise-protected.

I do already have a couple of hammock I use for camping which isn't a bad shout for something to lie down and read a book in - once everything else is in place I'll see how the hammock would sit corner to corner :)
Choose your herbs with care, I think a lot are Mediterranean in origin and need sun and heat...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top