• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What ticket combination for Bournemouth - Waterloo via Salisbury and Basingstoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antharro

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2006
Messages
712
I'm considering making a journey from Bournemouth to London Waterloo, but via Salisbury and Basingstoke. Return would be direct from Waterloo to Bournemouth.

I'm thinking the the best combination of tickets would be an open return BMH-WAT, then a SOU-SAL single and a SAL-BSK single, with the journey being Bournemouth -> Southampton Central, Southampton Central -> Salisbury, Salisbury -> Waterloo. All of these can be Network Railcard discounted.

I came up with this after a look through the routing guide... my understanding is that BMH-WAT is not valid via SAL-BSK (changing at SOU). Also, a Southampton Central -> Basingstoke ticket would only be valid on the SWML, not via Salisbury.

Assuming all of that is correct, would I also be safe to assume that with a SAL-BSK single, I could then use the outbound portion of the BMH-WAT ticket for the BSK-WAT segment, and I could do that without needing to change at Basingstoke - so get on the train at Salisbury and stay on it?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JB_B

Established Member
Joined
27 Dec 2013
Messages
1,564
Assuming all of that is correct, would I also be safe to assume that with a SAL-BSK single, I could then use the outbound portion of the BMH-WAT ticket for the BSK-WAT segment, and I could do that without needing to change at Basingstoke - so get on the train at Salisbury and stay on it?
That combination of tickets should certainly work for your intended journey (there may be cheaper approaches - I haven't checked) and yes, you can stay on the train.

Your Bournemouth to Waterloo ticket would be valid via Romsey (on XR+RG ) so a Romsey-Basingstoke route:Any Permitted single would cover your journey via Salisbury instead buying two singles.
 

miklcct

Established Member
Joined
2 May 2021
Messages
5,017
Location
Cricklewood
There is a classical split on this route at Basingstoke and Southampton Airport.

So maybe a return between Bournemouth and Romsey, Basingstoke and Waterloo, and singles for the remainder?

Or maybe use a local bus between Bournemouth and Salisbury instead, then two single plus a Basingstoke - Waterloo return?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top