• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What the bloody hell is this rubbish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
www.bradford.co.uk/product_info.php....html/XTCsid/20d893dc5ccd7d06e2683c1269636857
It is hard to know just where ones contempt should start with this.......thing. Pretty bloody useless as a clock, and pretty rubbish for an enthusiast too. I saw it advertised in a daily newspaper and was gobsmacked. In the paper advert we're told 'the clock itself is a replica of the front of the locomotive's engine'. Engine? Do they per chance mean it's boiler? Attention must also be lavished on the lovely curved train you get to watch go round every hour - announced by the stationmaster and accompanied by the authentic sounds of the actual Flying Scotsman (must be an old recording then lol). It apparently captures the atmosphere of a historic station - by having a train which is shorter than platform height I presume. Although I'm sure they get plenty of silver from it's £125 price tag, I'm sure it shouldn't be an officially authorised product.

Strong demand is expected according to the copy, and don't forget some almighty nails/hooks because it is 22 inches tall! Honestly, are there any takers? That's literally one of the most useless things I've ever seen!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,392
Location
Yorks
I suppose it's a railway version of a cukoo clock - could be a hit in the Swiss market ;)
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Having seen the rest of the tat advertised underneath - my favourite is the Elvis Presley Jailhouse Rock Musical Doll also at £124.95 - I wonder who actually buys this rubbish. Probably no one, hence the exorbitant price.
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
All of their stuff is uniformly awful, but the 4472 range is possibly the worst of the lot.
The wristwatches are probably the least terrible.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,392
Location
Yorks
I remember seeing advertised a few times in the papers a couple of years ago a record player which played 45's 33's and 78's and had a USB port so you could record them all to CD/MP3 - which is actually, when you think about it, quite a good idea. It was done all in a wood finish which looked a bit strange though (like a compact version of my Gran's radiogram). Personally I prefer 1970's - 80's seperates with volume unit meters and tuners which light up when you switch them on :)
 

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
I remember seeing advertised a few times in the papers a couple of years ago a record player which played 45's 33's and 78's and had a USB port so you could record them all to CD/MP3 - which is actually, when you think about it, quite a good idea.

I saw one of them, and I thought the opposite. The sound quality of vinyl is not that good, so converting to MP3 is pointless. It's like putting cine on to a Blu-Ray. I seem to recall that was a bit steep of price, and even Austin would have baulked at that fake wood!
Here's something similar trying to be altogether more upmarket. It's gone for the 90's black finish www.pctvhifi.co.uk/infopage.asp?infID=1227
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,392
Location
Yorks
Yes, I suppose it depends how many records there are that haven't been released on digital - or how many people there are that can't be bothered/afford to buy the CD/download!

That record player looks a lot better to me than the faux wood version - although i'll stick with my mix of 70's and 90's seperates :)
 

37401

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
3,276
Location
Birmingham
Another way of making money off the frothing scotsman, if you want a clock that'll wake you up get a 37906 clock that'll do the trick even more so when its in the tunnel :lol:
 

A60K

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2008
Messages
1,030
Location
Kilburn
I remember seeing advertised a few times in the papers a couple of years ago a record player which played 45's 33's and 78's ...

Maybe it's just me, but when I first read that I thought "What the hell is a Class 78 - some new electro-diesel that I haven't heard of :D

I would be happy with a clock that played Class 45 engine notes to wake you up!


 

curly42

Member
Joined
23 May 2008
Messages
747
looks like plan B for Matts xmas present this year then.

By the way,anyone want to buy a Flying Scotsman clock,unused,still wrapped,full guarantee ?
 

FlyingScot

Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
210
Location
dublin

I am sick to tears of hearing that word when referred to the flying scotsman. I also get a surge of rage when I remember that THERE'S NO FROTH ABOUT THE THING AT THE MOMENT! It's all gone quiet since it entered the workshops a few years back.
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
I am sick to tears of hearing that word when referred to the flying scotsman. I also get a surge of rage when I remember that THERE'S NO FROTH ABOUT THE THING AT THE MOMENT! It's all gone quiet since it entered the workshops a few years back.

Methinks you may not understand the meaning of the word in this context.
 

37401

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
3,276
Location
Birmingham
THERE'S NO FROTH ABOUT THE THING AT THE MOMENT! It's all gone quiet since it entered the workshops a few years back.

Thank froth for that, pity George Formby didn't build it: Lean green frothing machine
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I like frothing scotsman! Might nick that one and pass it off as my own 37401!

Just slip us a fiver in royalties ;)
 

Vulcan

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2009
Messages
712
Location
Seaton, Devon
Is there ANY product that Bradford editions do thats any use/not a pile of cr@p? The Flying Scotsman clock I think is the 'best' one, but they do a load of other rubbish as well, all advertised in newspapers and glossy TV mags.

That company have ruined the good name of the city of Bradford.....no wait, thats not possible.

I too find it difficult to believe this clock is really endorsed by the NRM. How could the NRM comission the Bachman Deltic and City of Truro, and then THAT???
 

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,125
Location
Birmingham
I too find it difficult to believe this clock is really endorsed by the NRM. How could the NRM comission the Bachman Deltic and City of Truro, and then THAT???

You're probably confusing the National Railway Museum with the National Ripoff Merchants :D
 

Vulcan

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2009
Messages
712
Location
Seaton, Devon
You're probably confusing the National Railway Museum with the National Ripoff Merchants :D

Oh yeah, biggest railway museum in the world and its free entry. Massive ripoff that. :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I still find it hard to believe that anyone with an ounce of railway knowledge would approve that clock for production. Somebody messed up there. And you say Money, but who in their right mind would buy it??
 

FlyingScot

Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
210
Location
dublin
Thank froth for that, pity George Formby didn't build it: Lean green frothing machine

Please don't do that 37401, I'm in a bad mood and when I'm in a bad mood I get angry very quickly and I relly don't think you will like me when I'm angry.
 

FlyingScot

Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
210
Location
dublin
37401 is entitled to say what he likes. Freedom of speech it's called.

Fine, he can say what he can say, just a warning.

Oh,and just because I'm eleven years old, doesn't mean you have to teach me what freedom of speech means. I have school to do that.
 

FlyingScot

Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
210
Location
dublin
]

So maybe you should stay off forums when you are in a bad mood then, as you are free to do!

You can't tell me to stay off forums! I'm only in a bad mood if you lot be annoying. At the mo, I am slightly annoyed because 37401 is using that word I hate and then your telling me to get off the forum!
 

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
If you don't like the word frothing, that's your problem, not 37401's. Having said that, it's a very petty disagreement, and of course we should bear in mind that you're 11 years old. Good knowledge of the incredible hulk for your age.
 

37401

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
3,276
Location
Birmingham
If you don't like the word frothing, that's your problem, not 37401's. Having said that, it's a very petty disagreement, and of course we should bear in mind that you're 11 years old. Good knowledge of the incredible hulk for your age.

Wheres the facebook style like button when you need it eh!?
 

FlyingScot

Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
210
Location
dublin
Ok 37401 the joke just lost it's novelty. It's not funny anymore. In fact, it's quite annoying. I asked you to stop politely. Did you? No. So please stop. Please. I'm asking politely again. Please stop. Please.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top