• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What sort of music do you guys like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2561Minoru

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2010
Messages
27
Location
England
I apologize if theres a thread for this already.

Post here what sort of music you like

I like most types of music.

My fave types are

80s rock
Punk
Death Metal
90s rock
60s rock
modern day rock
indie
and a bit of trance music
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai.

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2008
Messages
1,210
Location
Wales
Rock mainly!

I'm very picky when it comes to music, I don't like everything in the rock genre I have to narrow it down to single bands.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Rock mainly!

I'm very picky when it comes to music, I don't like everything in the rock genre I have to narrow it down to single bands.

Exactly the same here! Rock is the only genre I suppose I properly like, but whereas I like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple, I can't stand Guns n' Roses or Bon Jovi. I suppose the main types of rock I like are Prog, as well as parts of Soft (Boston etc), and most Hard. I also like most Heavy Metal, but only from the Black Sabbath/Iron Maiden period, much the same as Rock, for example I can't stand modern-day bands like Oasis, and older bands such as the Beatles.
But surely the best band ever to exist doesn't even fall into these categories, namely American Country rock band the Eagles. Simply the best!
 

kentuckytony

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2010
Messages
283
Location
Edgewood KY USA
[Really, really dating myself here. But here's from a person of an earlier era.]
Most rock and doo-wop music from 1950's through 1964.
Some early Beatles. A lot of folk groups from the 60s.

More into individual singers that have distinctive styles not overpowered by too-loud instruments and screeching voices.
Gene Pitney, Roy Orbison, Dion DiMucci, Lou Christie, David Clayton Thomas, Elvis Presley, Simon & Garfunkle, Joan Baez, Grace Slick, Melanie, Buffy St. Marie, Judy Collins, etc.

A find a lot of today's singers - especially female - all sound the same (in my 'umble opinion).

And, of course, a lot of bluegrass music [not C&W]. Not allowed to live in Kentucky without swearing allegence to that and also avoiding wearing shoes except when necessary.;):lol:
 

Dai.

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2008
Messages
1,210
Location
Wales
Blimey if we're naming bands we like -

All American Rejects
Evanescence
Guns N Roses
Black Sabbath
Ozzy Osbourne
Avril Lavigne
Good Charlotte
Avenged Sevenfold
Queens of the Stone Age
Foo Fighters
Them Crooked Vultures
'A'
18 Visions
Blitz Kids
The Young Guns
Genesis
Green Day
Hadouken
Hey Monday
Enter Shikari
All Time Low
Kid Rock
Kids in Glass Houses
Lostprophets
Manic Street Preachers
Stereophonics
Fall Out Boy
Trivium
Atreyu
Killswitch Engage
Skindred
FACT
Lacuna Coil
Bowling for Soup
New Found Glory
Fightstar
Pendulum
Rise Against
System of a Down
Serj Tankian
Scars on Broadway
Switchfoot
Blink 182 (incarnations such as AvA and +44 aswell)
Rammstein
CKY
Papa Roach
The Rasmus
The Living End
Paramore
Panic! At The Disco (First album only)
Metallica
Motorhead
KoRn
Jimmy Eat World
Iron Maiden
Hollywood Undead
Slipknot (Snuff, Dead Memories, Pyschosocial, Before I Forget)
Glassjaw
Boys like Girls
We The Kings
Linkin Park
All That Reminds
Nightwish
Sum 41
30 Seconds to Mars

Okay that's not all but if I name EVERYTHING, then I'll be going for ever. :P
 
Last edited:

2561Minoru

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2010
Messages
27
Location
England
Heres my (part 1 of ???) list

The Thermals
All That Remains
Linkin Park
Slipknot
Hey Monday
Placebo
Rage Against the Machine
Nightwish
30 Seconds to Mars
Blink 182
Rise Against
Sum 41
Them Crooked Vultures
Hollywood Undead

Thats not all of them
 

At_traction

Member
Joined
5 Aug 2010
Messages
291
I'm very picky when it comes to music, I don't like everything in the rock genre I have to narrow it down to single bands.

The same here. Very wide genrewise (and widened dramatically after expanding from almost exclusive, three-year speed metal/thrash diet :D of the late 1980s, after which the genre(s) IMO died anyway), but bl**dy picky in accepting single bands/performers. Back in 1996(?) I made just for the h*ll of it a list of all "acceptable" groups; now that list would be two or three times as long - and virtually not a single one dropped out in the meantime... ;)

*Soundtrack: Muse: "Bliss"*
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
Hmm this is quite hard for me because I almost literally like all types of music. The only sort that I don't like is Rap and R&B otherwise anything goes (and even then there are the odd songs and artists that I do like). Currently I'm having a listen to a fair bit of metal last week I was enjoying trance music. Next week who knows :lol:
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
1980s here for me - and I've been surprised at the number of younger forum members who share my taste in music. In typical 'crank' style, I have started to compile a list of bands/singers I've seen perform!

Now, what shall I listen to this evening...Pet Shop Boys or Bananarama? :lol:
 

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
Joined
2 Dec 2007
Messages
1,270
1980s here for me - and I've been surprised at the number of younger forum members who share my taste in music. In typical 'crank' style, I have started to compile a list of bands/singers I've seen perform!

Now, what shall I listen to this evening...Pet Shop Boys or Bananarama? :lol:

Duran Duran for me, atm.

Go for Bananarama....
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
1980s here for me - and I've been surprised at the number of younger forum members who share my taste in music. In typical 'crank' style, I have started to compile a list of bands/singers I've seen perform!

Now, what shall I listen to this evening...Pet Shop Boys or Bananarama? :lol:
Out of those two, it has to be PSBs!
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
Muse and The Killers top my most played playlist on my iPod. If we want to go into specific tracks I like:

Muse -Invincible
-Uprising
-New Born
Killers -Human
-When you were young
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
If we've moved onto favourite tracks, then my top five is (in reverse order):
5 - Through the Fire and Flames - Dragonforce - The guitar solos on there would blow the mind of anyone...
4 - Whiter Shade of Pale - Procol Harum - The haunting organ throughout, the lyrics...
3 - Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin - Guitar solo = King
2 - Dirty Laundry - Don Henley (though his version with The Eagles was better) - One of the most truthful songs of all time
1 - Hotel California - The Eagles - Simply the best song ever written, three excellent guitar pieces, great lyrics (it's about drugs/a cult for anyone wondering), simply brilliant.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
Won't Get Fooled Again FTW!

Always been a bit more of a fan of Baba O'riley personally, but still nothing wrong with Won't Get Fooled Again from time to time, if for no other reason than that scream halfway through! Perfection. :D
 

monkey

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2009
Messages
431
Location
Leeds
A little bit of everything (except classical), which is why I listen to BBC 6Music.
^^(without singling out em2) be nice if people posted specifics of what they like even if you do have broad tastes, its rather vague just to say "you like bit of everything".

I didn't really have an interest in music till my late teens, my first album was "invisible band" by travis - given to me on a birthday by a friend. not the greatest album but it really got me intrigued made me actively explore listening to music. I think I like it cos it was everything most popular music at the time wasn' - i.e it was earnest, and melancholic. the second album I got, which I bought myself on account of it being "packaged pretty" lol, was () by sigur rós - didn't like it first and went in drawer for few months until I fished it out and it made sense - this album changed everything, as it really opend my mind to all sorts - it also features the most narcotic drumming sequence at end of the last track (live it is breath taking). their album released prior to that- ágætis byrjun, is also pure genius, which I got later.

A lot of the music I listen to is influenced by my brother, a lot of its from the 80's too. he's massive new order fan, and I'd probs count power, corruption, lies and technique as favourites. I adore a bit of odd, with my love for cocteau twins particularly heaven or las vegas and am massive fan of late era talk talk - with laughing stock probs being my favourite album all time! I also love quite a lot of early 90's shoegaze bands, split by lush, souvlaki by slowdive and loveless by my bloody valentine. my bloody valentine is also probs the best gig I've ever been to when I saw them at the atp festival last year on their reunion tour (would've been too young when they were around originally :lol:).

All that sums up the "bread and butter" of my music taste, but theres a lot of more acessible stuff I like too, from early millenium kylie (how can anyone not like "love at first sight" lol) to the odd girls aloud track (memory of you is postpunk-in-disco-genius :P) which I insist to friends is "clever pop":p. I also don't just look to new bands that are coming out but I like going back to past, and discovering oldies - like last year I discovered my love of the 70's german band can and 80's grace jones.

anyway I compiled an end of year list of albums I loved released this year for another forum so here is below along with descriptors...

teen dream - beach house (uplifiting dream pop)
crystal castles (II) - cyrstal castles (dirty electronica - think sweaty, youthful party of excess)
subiza - delorean (modern balaeric - think summer, the coast, barbecues)
topp stemning på lokal bar - casiokids (twee norwegian electro-pop)
hidden - these new puritans (brooding, atmospheric rock with suspense)
some reptiles deveoped wings ep - egyptian hip hop (northern, melancholic, electro rock)
total life forever - foals (one of my current fave bands, seeing them in london on ny! :D)
clinging to a scheme - the radio dept (earnest reserved indie pop)
black city - matthew dear (dark electronica)
sit down, man - das racist (tongue in cheek hip-hop)
body talk - robyn (love-in-a-box swedish pop)
there is love in you - four tet (dancey brooding electronica)
black noise - pantha du prince (melancholic techno)
palinopsia - d'eon (80's synth fans will like this...)
that we play - games (...as will they this)

...so yeah, hopefully that is useful answer in summing up the type of music I listen to - its not easy if you have disparate tastes, and yeah I'm a bit bored lol! don't expect everyone to do full write up like this lol, but like I say be nice if people were more specific.

also does any one use last.fm? mines here if anyones interested>> http://www.last.fm/user/volcanicash
 
Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
From my era I'm still listening to the like of Sonic Youth, Big Black, R.E.M. (pre-Out of Time) and above all Husker Du. I like loads of stuff though, mainly from before that era, such as Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, late-60s Rolling Stones, UK and (especially) American punk and hardcore.

(((((Dead Kennedys)))))
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top