• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What railway service and experience have you got?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tin Rocket

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2008
Messages
248
Location
midlands
A post by Lincolnshire in another thread got me wondering as to how much railway work service folk have on this forum,i started in 1997 on maintenance and am currently back on maintenance but was with 5 different companies before on renewals/new works
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2011
Messages
1,667
This job was my first time in a railway job, so I now have just over 7 months of Railway experience, in a Gateline role.

Previous to this, I worked (and still do work) in Retail, where I have been for 5 years and 3 Months. From this, I gained vast Customer Service experience!

Apologies if I don't qualify under "service folk" :lol:
 
Joined
6 Nov 2011
Messages
155
I have zilch in the way of railway experience at the moment, although I will be starting as a gateline assisstant for SWT at the end of January. I'm hoping to move up to be a guard for SWT towards the end of this year.

I'll be joining with 7 and a half years retail experience behind me, which has given me first hand experience of working in a customer focused environment.
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
Just under a year as a trainee S&T Tech and now three years as a Network Rail Customer Service Assistant & eighteen months as a Station Control Lead.
 

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2010
Messages
2,662
A post by Lincolnshire in another thread got me wondering as to how much railway work service folk have on this forum,i started in 1997 on maintenance and am currently back on maintenance but was with 5 different companies before on renewals/new works


Near enoughj a decade as a guard and 3rd gen railwayman

Not bad
 

TDK

Established Member
Joined
19 Apr 2008
Messages
4,164
Location
Crewe
12 years in the driving grade with 5 of those as a traction inspector
 

driver9000

Established Member
Joined
13 Jan 2008
Messages
4,569
7 years in the driving grade.

5 years PSV.
 
Last edited:

Steve1966

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2011
Messages
18
Location
Gloucestershire
20 years as a HGV driver.
2 years as a station assistant on the Kings Cross group of LUL.
3 years as a train operator on the Jubilee Line of LUL.
 

Simon11

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2010
Messages
1,389
19 months as an analyst in the commercial department and about to move to my third toc :)
 

warrior33

Member
Joined
31 Dec 2011
Messages
50
Three and a half years as a Customer Service Assistant and a year and a half as a Station Control Assistant, within Network Rail.

Before that, was with Balfour Beatty as a Techie.
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Been here since Intercity days. Still got my black raincoat with the swallow logo somewhere.
 

Class2ldn

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2011
Messages
1,403
9 years pcv, 2 years lgv and started training as a driver in mid 2010. Will be qualified a year in 2-3 months time
 
Joined
4 Jan 2008
Messages
170
Location
Staffordshire
Got 26 years in plus the railway YTS in 1985.

2 years carriage cleaning at Oxley.

1 year secondman Bescot and Wolves

9 and half years driver at New St (BR and Central)

13 and half years driver at Wolves (Virgin)
 

RPM

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2009
Messages
1,531
Location
Buckinghamshire
9 years in the driving grade, 4 years as a station manager, 2 years as a booking office clerk.
 

Minilad

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
4,398
Location
Anywhere B link goes
3 years in Booking offices, Redditch and Longbridge
A short stint as a guard with Central Trains (3 months)
And now coming up to 11 years Driving
 

telecaster

Member
Joined
7 Aug 2011
Messages
31
4 years.
2 ticket office.
2 general station stuff, gates, ticket office, security, ..
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Experience and ability counts for nothing nowadays.

Despite me pulling yet another fake annual £900 railway season ticket today which their own staff had missed for three months, one company still won't recruit me despite 15 years railway experience.

Begins with N ;)

(Could be Now Then! Rail, trains from Yoikshire?!?!)
 
Joined
11 Nov 2007
Messages
337
Location
portsmouth
well I have about 3 years as a PSV driver

and in rail

I have a year as a station assistant

2 and a half years as a conductor

next week I start as a trainee driver
 

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2010
Messages
2,662
Experience and ability counts for nothing nowadays.

Despite me pulling yet another fake annual £900 railway season ticket today which their own staff had missed for three months, one company still won't recruit me despite 15 years railway experience.

Begins with N ;)

(Could be Now Then! Rail, trains from Yoikshire?!?!)


hmmmm I wonder lol, Only the very very best here at Northern *cough <D
 

Bellwater

Member
Joined
10 Jan 2010
Messages
522
Location
on a 158
Experience and ability counts for nothing nowadays.

Despite me pulling yet another fake annual £900 railway season ticket today which their own staff had missed for three months, one company still won't recruit me despite 15 years railway experience.

Begins with N ;)

(Could be Now Then! Rail, trains from Yoikshire?!?!)

'Refrains from own gripes with Northern' Fortunately my current employer saw the value of my experience and clean record.

 

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2010
Messages
2,662
'Refrains from own gripes with Northern' Fortunately my current employer saw the value of my experience and clean record.


Heck I couldn't get passed the Application form stage with FTPE, so glad I didn't as we may have old stock etc. but I know what I'm doing and where i'm going and even tho Northern are relatively strict they are nothing like the chaos that is FTPE :lol:
 

district

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2011
Messages
1,116
Location
SE16
I'm starting my trainee signalman course in Feburary on the Kent & East Sussex Railway.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top