• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is your favourite seat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
Of my commuting options...
On a Pendolino, any table window seat in coach A.
On a Virgin voyager, any seat in coach D.
On an LM 323, window seat in a bay of 6, usually in the middle coach.
On an LM 350, one of the ones with a bit of extra leg room at the front or back of the train
On an LM 170, XC Voyager, or ATW I feel lucky to get a seat to be honest
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
On a Pendolino C1 or C2 without a doubt. If not available and I don't mind being in the Quiet zone then A21, A22, A27 or A28. I only discovered those seats in coach A last Weds thanks to a tip off from MattE2010.

Are those the half-table seats? I'm not so keen on the ones the luggage rack side because there are quite often unpleasant things to see behind the luggage racks, also I don't like the lack of leg-room in these seats.
 
Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Can't understand why so many people prefer a table seat, unless they want to work on a laptop or such. I feel my personal space is invaded by having some stranger's face a couple of feet from my own, then there's the shared foot/legroom thing. Also you can't put baggage on the floor in front of you, and it's a bit antisocial to put it on the table. Then there's the 'eye contact' problem, i.e. looking anywhere BUT at the person opposite in case [shock horror] they might want to talk! :lol:

Im the same - can never figure out peoples preference for table seats unles they are sat with people they know then it doesnt matter if your feet touch.

Much prefer an airline seat facing forwards where ever possible. Or at the front of the DLR down here.
 

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2013
Messages
2,588
Location
Leeds
The airline seats in a Southern 171's first class. Lovely spacious seat, strangely big tray, and the bin is under the seats next to you. Only downside is the window really.
 

Temple Meads

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2010
Messages
2,283
Location
Devon
I'm over 6ft, and I'd always go for an airline seat over a table seat if the latter involves a stranger* sitting opposite, on a quiet service, I'd usually go for a table though. Either way, I favour sitting facing the direction of travel.

*Okay, if the stranger is attractive I might actually choose it ;)
 

NathanPrior

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2007
Messages
305
Location
SE London
If on a Pendo, preferably a backwards facing one as whenever I'm in a forward facing one and it tilts I get a headache for some reason.

I particularly don't want to sit down on any EC service as their seats are terrible, but always go for a forward facing seat near to the Cafe if possible.
 

krus_aragon

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2009
Messages
6,105
Location
North Wales
Im the same - can never figure out peoples preference for table seats unles they are sat with people they know then it doesnt matter if your feet touch.

Much prefer an airline seat facing forwards where ever possible. Or at the front of the DLR down here.

My preference for a table seat comes from the fact that most of my leisure travel is off-peak, so I could often have the table to myself, or share it with one person. (And that other person is often a certain someone I know.) This tends to suit my lanky legs.

If it's busy and I'm in an airline seat, I'll take the aisle seat by choice, as then I can have my knees slightly in the aisle instead of pressed up against the seat in front.
 

OLJR

Member
Joined
20 Apr 2011
Messages
225
Location
Pimlico
Im the same - can never figure out peoples preference for table seats unles they are sat with people they know then it doesnt matter if your feet touch.

I am lucky because on many of my trips the other side of the table is empty. Even when there is a seat opponent he or she is unlikely to stick around all the way between King's Cross and Newcastle!

What has annoyed me a few times though is when the carriage is wide open with no seats reserved and some random stranger comes and sits in the unreserved seat opposite me. Weird!!! :roll:
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,621
Location
Isle of Man
East Coast 225 1ST
K29 northbound and K31 southbound (these seats also have a dance floor next to them because the carriage switches from 1-2 config to 2-1 config in the middle)
Second preference: K13 northbound and K11 southbound

Snap. And it has to be coach K too, to have first dibs on the booze trolley.

On the 125s, I avoid coach J though. No plug sockets for the laptop.
 

broadgage

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2012
Messages
1,094
Location
Somerset
Actual seat, on an HST, seat 1F in coach F on a Pullman service.

If not a Pullman service, then any forward facing seat at a table for 2 in coach H.

If in steerage, any seat at a table and preferably a gangway seat, not a window one. I try to avoid steerage, either paying the full first fare to use the Pullman, or at other times taking advantage of discounted first class tickets.

If on FCC any seat at all seems rare !
 

Tibbs

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2012
Messages
894
Location
London
On my regular commute (LM 350) I like an airline seat on 3+2 carriage or a table on 2+2, by the window in the Summer, Aisle in the winter as the heater burns my leg. Always facing direction of travel if possible.

On the long distance trains, I like to travel 1st if I can afford it, on the 1+1 seats if I can manage it. Still in direction of travel.
 

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,218
Window, table, facing direction of travel.


What he said. Toward the front of the train if poss [more chance of seeing interesting wildlife]. Usually off-side to enjoy oncoming trains. On-side on certain routes e.g. WCML south of Rugby to watch Slow Lines + Bletchley CS, Wembley etc
 

60163

Member
Joined
11 Jan 2011
Messages
515
Location
All around Sloane Square
Usually the seat at the far end of the coach nearest the vestibule - when the train's starting to fill up, people come into the coach and look right down it, missing me.
 

OLJR

Member
Joined
20 Apr 2011
Messages
225
Location
Pimlico
Snap. And it has to be coach K too, to have first dibs on the booze trolley.

Maybe you are on the same train as me after Christmas. I literally booked an hour or two after the trains were released and K31 was already taken! :D
 
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
421
Surely the sleeper seated coach is pretty comfortable in comparison to all other seated travel in the UK? Whilst not actually a seat, the berths must be the most comfortable regular scheduled service available. I've certainly managed decent nights sleep on the Highland Sleeper and Night Riviera.
 

ASharpe

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2013
Messages
1,024
Location
West Yorkshire
B39 on an EC HST, no idea why I always go for that one. I usually end up moving to the end of the carriage just before my destination.

On a pacer I like a wide bench best, near the centre of the car without the WC.

I also travel on SWT 444s a lot but I haven't found a favourite yet, open to suggestions.

SWT 455s I just hate, but if I'm getting the early train out of Guildford during winter I get a car away from the bridge and tunnel and sit near the door so I can close it if anyone else gets on.
 

Lrd

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2010
Messages
3,018
When I used to commute on SWT 158s then I would always aim for the same seat which was an airline seat in the front carriage, often facing backwards on the right hand side of the train.

On the 444s I always go for the rear carriage as it is usually quiet and one of the airline seats facing forwards, normally on the right hand side as I like watching the opposite track shoot past. The only time I go for a table seat is when I need to charge my phone on a 444.
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,052
Location
Bristol
When with my son, a pair of window seats at a table would be nice so we can play Uno more comfortably, but we normally get a pair of airline forward facing. He cheats anyway (what 7 year old doesn't?), so it doesn't matter too much that he can see my cards.
On my own, rear facing airline, on the RHS, so I can get a good look at whatever speeds past on the other track.

Taking up a table seat on trains with few tables is rather selfish when you're on your own - leave those for families travelling together. And no - I don't mean me.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,389
Location
Yorks
When with my son, a pair of window seats at a table would be nice so we can play Uno more comfortably, but we normally get a pair of airline forward facing. He cheats anyway (what 7 year old doesn't?), so it doesn't matter too much that he can see my cards.
On my own, rear facing airline, on the RHS, so I can get a good look at whatever speeds past on the other track.

Taking up a table seat on trains with few tables is rather selfish when you're on your own - leave those for families travelling together. And no - I don't mean me.

Some of us might need the table for food/drink/computer etc. Why not complain to the TOC for not having enough table seats.

Also, if I'm on a table on my own, that means there are three table seats free.
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
I tend to go for airline seats, back to the direction of travel, preferably off-side (so that I can always (excluding single track sections) identify which station I'm passing through on a fast service (helpful if I want to know how long it's going to take me to reach my destination), and preferably towards the rear of the train, unless I'm travelling to Manchester Piccadilly, and the train is going through platforms 13 or 14, where I chose to be at the front

Specific exceptions are:

MK3 coaches: Apart from the Chiltern power door ones (where my standard rule applies), I prefer to stand in the vestibule
Class 142: On Merseytravel examples, I choose to sit on the bus bench at the rear of the train
Class 158: The fold down seats in the vestibule, where offered
Class 170: On TPX units, I chose to sit in the little area at the front/rear of the train that often gets mistaken for first class because it has doors separating it from the rest of the coach
Class 185: Coach A, in the disabled section between 1st class and the drivers cab
Class 220/221: Any vestibules where a toilet cannot be found.
Class 390: Very little can persuade me to voluntarily use one of these. If I absolutely must travel on one, I choose to stand at the London end of standard. My issue with them, however, is not down to the units themselves, but down to previous issues with Virmin's staff.
Class 507/508: I prefer to stand by the rear set of doors. The idea of sharing a bay of 4 seats with a group of scousers is not appealing to me.
 

chris89

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2009
Messages
1,372
Location
Somewhere
For the VT Super Voyagers.

Seats 1, 2, 3, 4, 65, 66, 67, 68 (Coaches B[H], C[J]. Any in D due to freewifi although prefer 1, 2, 3, 4.

Coaches A[G] and E[L] Any at all. Of course the latter only if can find cheap enough fares.

For the 390s, As long as forward facing and have a window.

For 334s, Myself any at all. When with other half, has to be forward facing.

Chris
 

Muzer

Established Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
2,784
I tend to go for airline seats, back to the direction of travel, preferably off-side (so that I can always (excluding single track sections) identify which station I'm passing through on a fast service (helpful if I want to know how long it's going to take me to reach my destination), and preferably towards the rear of the train, unless I'm travelling to Manchester Piccadilly, and the train is going through platforms 13 or 14, where I chose to be at the front

If the train has sockets, I plug my phone in and run a brilliant app called Track Locator, which I then cross-reference with my trackmaps to figure out which station it is :D
 

Johnny_w

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2011
Messages
251
Location
Rural suffolk
Any where I can fold my 6"5' frame, and I ain't a matchstick!

Surrounded by pleasant folks who like too chit chat. Makes the journey interesting and pleasant and often refills my cup of faith in humanity.

JW
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top