I would suggest that 'the railway' and 'the Government' (including Dft/Treasury) are two separate categories of assessment.
Unfortunately the railway is being forced to do the DfT/Treasury/Government's bidding in this respect.
I would suggest that 'the railway' and 'the Government' (including Dft/Treasury) are two separate categories of assessment.
Indeed, which is why it's important to distinguish between things the railway is doing badly (communicating to passengers, managing timetables appropriate to the available resources), and things the railway is doing well but is being hamstrung/sabotaged by the Government repeatedly (timetable rewrites, new infrastructure projects, future capacity requirements).Unfortunately the railway is being forced to do the DfT/Treasury/Government's bidding in this respect.
I do worry about the costs of that - the concept of the ROSCOS is one that has never made financial sense. It's not like we see an over-supply of trains, and therefore real competition; instead it just seems to be a way for take money out of the publics hands, and put it into the pockets of private companies.Unfortunately this may be the biggest problem facing us today, not a positive. Too many new rolling stock fleets - with contracts guaranteed for years. The only thing that can be cut is staff or maintenance, or maintenance staff...
This table (Modern Railways, Jan '23) shows real-terms increases in costs (after adjusting inflation!!).. Is now almost as much cost as TOC staff..
View attachment 125861
Passengers not giving up on rail, despite everything.
Yes, there are some who will say "never again", yes there are some for whom the railways is the best or only option to travel. But every good experience we give them means they are likely to talk about it, and be the railway's advocates and encourage more people to travel by train. And the regulars will fight for the railway as well, whether that by insisting LNER's First Class breakfast is decent or raising how the railway is vital for some communities/constitencies, such as Huddersfield-Mirfield-Wakefield(-Castleford).
Creating those "good experiences" is something that's in the hands of many people on this forum. Not me, I'm just a passenger![]()
But they are not immune from strikes - their unions are all in dispute with their TOC/RDG/DfT.The operator of last resort. This is how the railway should be run.
When making this journey I suggest you change at Chesterfield rather than Sheffield as it avoids the melee at Sheffield station trying to get on a Liverpool bound service especially when TransPennine have as is the norm cancelled most of their westbound services.I travelled with EMR for the first time properly yesterday travelling from London back to the North West, I couldn’t fault them one bit, friendly staff. An absolute joy to travel from St Pancras rather than from Euston like I usually would. A nice 10 car 222, and there was plenty of room onboard. Train was on time, up until Chesterfield, and we were then booked via the “old road” which I thought was interesting! We arrived Sheffield around 10 late, I was then connecting into a Norwich - Liverpool there.
Don’t get me wrong my journey was nearly 4 and a half hours compared to the usual 2hr15ish but do you know what at the moment I’d take that every time rather than travel with Avanti, personally I’ve never suffered a cancelled train with Avanti it’s just the Euston scramble I hate, as well as the unpredictability of whether your train will run. Euston and St Pancras are just completely night and day.
Well done EMR anyway you’ve won yourself a customer!
When making this journey I suggest you change at Chesterfield rather than Sheffield as it avoids the melee at Sheffield station trying to get on a Liverpool bound service especially when TransPennine have as is the norm cancelled most of their westbound services.
Same platform interchange at Chesterfield, there are clean toilets and two coffee shops, the ubiquitous Pumpkin and a local independent Cana with a great selection of bread and pastries.
No ticket barriers and no stairs to access these facilities.
The cafes close around 5pm at Chesterfield station.Thanks! That was the plan to change at Chesterfield but everywhere was shut around there at 1900 last night, so I stayed on until Sheffield, to be fair it was fairly quiet. I got the 1702 from St Pancras and there was plenty of room and the same with the Norwich - Liverpool at Sheffield plenty of room!
As I said I was very impressed and will certainly be going that way again!
I know this was only 1 journey but in keeping with the thread, that journey for me shows exactly how well the railway can do things at the moment.
Good point, well made. The failure to get Castleford Interchange done 10 years ago was annoying, to say the least, But the investment in the separate bus and rail stations is welcome. Castleford is now an interchange for three routes; if services can be guaranteed to run it will attract third-party facilities (even if only the coffee cart out of the back of a Smart car I used to see at Brighouse in the morning peak).The Huddersfield service has potential but needs to not run 5-10 minutes after the Sheffield service (ideally time it to make a twice hourly service about 30 minutes apart to Normanton and Wakefield)
Castleford is a positive example of the railway though, the station is now night and day compared to 10 years ago despite still being unstaffed, even though it never got the ‘interchange’ both the rail station and bus station now have excellent facilities with Platform 2 nearly open again which opens quite a few opportunities going forward should the TOCs choose to make use of them! (A case of ‘build it and they will come’ perhaps)
You were lucky, last time I went on EMR from Manchester Piccadilly it was a 2 carriage 156 with standing room only all the way to Liverpool!Thanks! That was the plan to change at Chesterfield but everywhere was shut around there at 1900 last night, so I stayed on until Sheffield, to be fair it was fairly quiet. I got the 1702 from St Pancras and there was plenty of room and the same with the Norwich - Liverpool at Sheffield plenty of room!
As I said I was very impressed and will certainly be going that way again!
I know this was only 1 journey but in keeping with the thread, that journey for me shows exactly how well the railway can do things at the moment.
We had heard great words on this subject ever since the Voyagers, rolled out and the trend has been that seats have become more and more uncomfortable.On the other hand it seems like EMR has listened to the criticisms coming from the new Azumas, and is keen on making a more comfortable train, even if I worry that with the lighter/shorter carriages, the suspension may be even firmer.
Assuming the 769 reference is a joke (the GWR ones being an example in microcosm of exactly what the railway is doing wrong at the moment), as a lifelong railwayman I genuinely cannot think of anything important that the railway is doing well, much as I would like to. It is fragmented, poorly-managed by people who see it as a bus service on rails and who refuse to learn from/build on the lessons of the past and are determined to reinvent as much as possible, leading to disjointed policies and information, among vastly many other things. It's a thoroughly depressing scenario and we have an inane government who has no interest in the railway in principle or in practise, (or the environment as a whole; only professing it to try to win votes). The concept of passengers arriving on time has been sacrificed for that of trains doing so, i.e. obvious connections not advertised as such are abandoned and those that are advertised are usually so ludicrously time-padded that they are unhelpful. The entire railway is struggling to operate on the basis that it presents genuine competition and makes a genuine profit - two fundamentally false assumptions that underpinned privatisation. Sorry - I know negativity was not sought here, but I see this as realism! Hang on, I've thought of something - the railway still allows steam workings (recognising its history and heritage)!Time for a little positivity;
- Technological innovation- class 769’s, 69’s etc.
- Fairly constant stream of large quantities of new rolling stock entering service.
- A few TOC’s have overhauled and upgraded large portions of their fleets recently e.g Northern, TP, TFW.
Are any TOC’s doing a great job but under the radar? What else is going well currently?
If we could try avoid negativity as much as possible in this thread, that would be appreciated![]()
The point of the ROSCOs was essentially a way to solve the problem of "what incentive do the TOCs have to make capital investment in rolling stock when they may lose the franchise in a few years?". In this respect they have sort of worked. Like most of the privatised railway, they were a decent enough answer to the question; the problem is that the question - "How do we privatise BR?" - was asked out of an ideological belief in the benefits of the free market rather than out of an desire to improve the railway.I do worry about the costs of that - the concept of the ROSCOS is one that has never made financial sense. It's not like we see an over-supply of trains, and therefore real competition; instead it just seems to be a way for take money out of the publics hands, and put it into the pockets of private companies.
Based upon a rover ticket trip today, I would say that Greater Anglia is up there. We took a clean modern fast 745 from Colchester to Norwich - as good as most services in Europe- then enjoyed various branch lines on the excellent 755s. Comfortable seats, good performance and guards who checked tickets and consistently provided sensible advice as to splitting, change points and running. A great advertisement for the railway and a driver of growth. Well done.Time for a little positivity;
- Technological innovation- class 769’s, 69’s etc.
- Fairly constant stream of large quantities of new rolling stock entering service.
- A few TOC’s have overhauled and upgraded large portions of their fleets recently e.g Northern, TP, TFW.
Are any TOC’s doing a great job but under the radar? What else is going well currently?
If we could try avoid negativity as much as possible in this thread, that would be appreciated![]()
The only thing the railway is doing well at currently is putting people off travelling!
Running a train service ..... on the Southern Region.
I've spent the last week and a bit travelling mainly around Kent, but also with a jolly to Dorset:
- The trains have run when they've been supposed to. No long lists of cancellations, services largely on time, connections made
- Decent capacity - even a couple of the Coastway services which were shorter, were busy but not uncomfortably so.
- Decent value - I renewed my network card, so was able to enjoy some good and some very good value tickets - and not reliant on this advance purchase nonsense. Walk up fares at my convenience.
It is the railway as it was when I was attracted to it and a different world from the ongoing fiasco in the North.
It's been bliss.
If they want to improve the railway offering, make it all like the Southern Region.
Paint all the trains green !!!
Based upon a rover ticket trip today, I would say that Greater Anglia is up there. We took a clean modern fast 745 from Colchester to Norwich - as good as most services in Europe- then enjoyed various branch lines on the excellent 755s. Comfortable seats, good performance and guards who checked tickets and consistently provided sensible advice as to splitting, change points and running. A great advertisement for the railway and a driver of growth. Well done.
Currently the railway is doing well at pushing freight onto roads and pushing passengers into private cars
Probably spoke a little too soon. South Eastern still seem to have problems providing working toilets on their trains
Seriously, I thought they'd solved that by now ?
Ah well, the grit in the oyster I suppose![]()