• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the most scenic line In England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
20
Location
London
My Favourite so far is The Settle and Carlisle line and I quite like The line by the Dawlish Sea wall in the west country
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stut

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
1,924
Settle-Carlisle is indeed lovely, as is the coast through Dawlish and Teignmouth.

I also have a soft spot for the Hope and Esk Valley Lines.
 

junglejames

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2010
Messages
2,069
Ive always liked the WCML. North of Preston being the best scenic wise.
Settle Carlisle and Hope Valley are 2 others I know of. Never been on the Esk Valley, but will have to by the sounds of it.
Dawlish Sea Wall is nice, but id put it just behind the others. My opinion though. Dont want any South Westerners coming after me!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Matlock branch is pretty good to

It is, although I prefered the Buxton branch. Saying that, is the Buxton branch counted as part of the Hope Valley still?
 

stut

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
1,924
How about a different perspective - I love raised railways through city centres. Charing X to London Bridge is great, as is Manc Pic through Oxford Road and Deansgate and the ride over the King Edward Bridge, through Newcastle Central, through the middle of the castle (how many railways do that?) out towards Heaton.

A different kind of scenic, of course.
 

junglejames

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2010
Messages
2,069
Not sure about the Charing Cross Branch, but agree with the one through Manchester and Newcastle.

Ah forgot, the Houses of Parliament. So yes, going over the Thames into Charing X is good.
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
I like Wakefield-Alltofts-Castleford-Methley-Sherburn-Church Fenton-York
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Although I don't agree with it, apparently Thomson or Thomas Cook (one of the two) considers the Severn Beach Line to be the most scenic line in Europe. I can kind of see how it would be considered, especially with the constant change of scenery ranging from central Bristol to Avon Valley in literally ten minutes and then Avonmouth etc, but I would still suggest that the likes of the S&C are ahead.

Mind you, most Scottish and Welsh lines beat English ones, so [to use football terms] this thread is like a Championship title decider, and not Premiership. This is especially true given the reasonable choice, when if all were involved only a couple lines would be in with a shout of toppling the West Highland!
 

Tufty

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
40
Exeter to Newton Abbot
South end of Looe Branch
St Ives branch
Burntisland stretch
S&C
Conwy valley
North Wales coast
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
West Highland Line must be a contender. Surely?

Sadly, the OP has somehow decided that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are amongst the countries not to be allowed in this thread. I can only assume that they know the best lines are actually in Scotland and Wales ;)

Either that, or (s)he's another person who doesn't understand the difference between England and The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, but I digress...
 

stut

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
1,924
The Darjeeling Hill Railway is one of my favourites. Oh, and the Urubamba Valley!
 

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,582
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
Sadly, the OP has somehow decided that Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are amongst the countries not to be allowed in this thread. I can only assume that they know the best lines are actually in Scotland and Wales ;)

Either that, or (s)he's another person who doesn't understand the difference between England and The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, but I digress...

I was treating the thread at face value but as I was feeling a bit bored I thought I would inject some light banter. I was hoping that someone would have thought that I meant Cumbrian not Cambrian in my last post, and when that line was rejected I would have plumped for the Londonderry to Coleraine stretch as my parting shot.:D :D

In all seriousness England has many scenic routes. In fact I'm off on a wee jolly on Wednesday to sample some with a "Northern Rail Day Rover". My top five would be:-

1) Cumbrian Coast Line
2) WCM from Lancaster to Carlisle
3) Lancaster to Skipton
4) Settle to Armathwhaite
5) Durham

There must be scenic routes further south esp Devon & Cornwall. I will try to get down there in the summer.
 
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
696
Snerth to Snives. Sit on the offside travelling to Snives. Unfortunately since the demise of the diesel-mechanicals it's not possible to sit behind the cab and enjoy the view out of the front too.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,308
:) My favourite is the section of the East Coast mainline in Northumberland from Morpeth up to the Scottish border at Berwick upon Tweed, in particular the section looking across to Lindisfarne (Holy Island).
 

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,582
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
........or Dublin - Belfast ? :roll::roll:

Maybe before 1922 - just whisper it though or you might get lynched <D

Politics/History aside I've always enjoyed the Enterprise service. A very scenic route. In fact if we take the British Isles as a whole for £44 one can travel through five countries with lots of stunning scenery thus:-

1) Edinburgh via Southern Uplands to Carlisle (Scotland)
2) Carlisle via Lake District to Chester (England)
3) Chester via North Welsh Coast & Snowdonia to Holyhead (Wales)
4) Dublin via Irish Sea Coastal to Dundalk (Ireland)
5) Dundalk via Mountains of Mourne to Belfast (Northern Ireland)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not wishing to highjack the OP's post a new post could be set up for a UK competition. I think we should set this up as a league. Top ten in each Home Nation of the UK. Ireland can get an invite too. Top two in each Nation goes forward into a Champions League.

Any takers - should this be done as a poll??

:) My favourite is the section of the East Coast mainline in Northumberland from Morpeth up to the Scottish border at Berwick upon Tweed, in particular the section looking across to Lindisfarne (Holy Island).

Damn! You're spot on - how did I forget about that one!!

Wishful thinking but I've love Beal station to re-open so I can get to Holy Island a lot easier.
 
Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
3) Lancaster to Skipton

Well worth it - not often mentioned. I often take the Lancaster-Leeds stopper, even though its a pacer! (Although Pacer bashing is becoming increasingly fashionable!) :p
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,947
Location
Mold, Clwyd
The Marches line (Chester-Shrewsbury-Hereford-Newport) takes some beating for rustic beauty - yes I know some of it is in Wales.
I also rather like the DLR from Tower Gateway to Beckton - like a big dipper in places among all those skyscraper canyons, now with fine views of the Olympic stadium and City Airport (and Crossrail construction visible at Custom House!).
Best of all is the long view west up Langdale between Oxenholme and Grayrigg on the WCML, rapidly followed by Low Gill and the Lune valley to the east...:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top